PDA

View Full Version : LMT gas tubes -- What's the deal?

HKBanger
06-18-12, 12:22
I had to replace a gas tube in my BCM that I somehow bent to shit. So, anyways, I went ahead and ordered a LMT middy gas tube. I'm lucky to even get it because almost every other site was out of mid-length gas tubes.

Anyways, I was expecting to a get a standard chrome colored gas tube but to my surprise... it looks almost just like Spikes Tactical or (god forbid) the cheapo generic Kries melonite coated gas tubes.

It's a grey coating with a really nice feel to it. It feels as if it could possibly be a bit more corrosion resistant and I initially thought that LMT must be doing the melonite coating now, too. I did a little bit of searching and was able to determine that it's not melonite. However, I still have no idea what the coating is and what exactly it accomplishes.

I'm not complaining - I think it looks great in the dark charcoal grey color rather than a highly visible chrome colored tube underneath my rail and/or hand guards.

Anyone have any insight on this? It also feels great when comparing it side-by-side with my standard BCM tube. The LMT gas tube feels like it'd be more resistant/strong and again, it definitely looks better! Heck, for $13 it's also cheaper than most others out there. :)

This is what it looks like:

MikeCLeonard
06-18-12, 12:34
I could be wrong about this, but I don't think LMT makes a standard mid-length gas tube.

They make a mid-length straight gas tube for the MRP platform, but a standard tube usually has that slight bend to it...unlike the tubes used on MRPs.

Is the gas tube you bought completely straight?

Clem
06-18-12, 12:37
I could be wrong about this, but I don't think LMT makes a standard mid-length gas tube.

They make a mid-length straight gas tube for the MRP platform, but a standard tube usually has that slight bend to it...unlike the tubes used on MRPs.

I bought 2 of those as well from Operation Parts.
They have the slight bend like any other gas tube.

http://www.operationparts.com/LMT_Mid_Length_Gas_Tube_For_AR_15_p/lmp146b.htm

Jaysop
06-18-12, 12:37

I was under the same impression, being that I don't think LMT makes a mid length gas system.

HKBanger
06-18-12, 12:39

It's got a slight bend in the middle like any other.

sinlessorrow
06-18-12, 13:38
from the operation parts website

AR-15 Lewis Machine & Tool Mid-Length Gas Tube For AR-15, Roll Pin Sold Separately

Standard Gas Tube Darkened By LMT To A Graphite Color

Length: 11 3/4 inches

buckjay
06-18-12, 15:36
How about giving LMT a call?

sinlessorrow
06-18-12, 15:52
How about giving LMT a call?

why? check my post above. operation parts says this

Standard Gas Tube Darkened By LMT To A Graphite Color