PDA

View Full Version : FN FNP-9 for CCW

rockonman
06-18-12, 13:09
Hey guys,
Thanks in advance for your input and advice. Let me preface this question by saying that I when I was learning to shoot a hand gun, I was instructed in the "1911 .45 acp is God and nothing else comes close" school. Recently I've begun to question that philosophy, and as a result have been shopping around for my first modern 9mm. My future brother in law recently showed me his FNP-9 and I was very impressed by the feel of the gun, the sights, and the trigger (both da and sa). When I went to my favorite local gun store, however, the owner there (who I've come to believe is pretty knowledgeable) said that the da/sa trigger unnecessarily complicates things. He is a huge proponent of the S&W M&P9. While I like the way it feels as well there is just something about the FN that feels good. Thoughts? Opinions? I've checked out the threads I found using the search function, but wanted some direct input. Thanks again for your time.

Grizzly16
06-18-12, 13:22
Hey guys,
Thanks in advance for your input and advice. Let me preface this question by saying that I when I was learning to shoot a hand gun, I was instructed in the "1911 .45 acp is God and nothing else comes close" school. Recently I've begun to question that philosophy, and as a result have been shopping around for my first modern 9mm. My future brother in law recently showed me his FNP-9 and I was very impressed by the feel of the gun, the sights, and the trigger (both da and sa). When I went to my favorite local gun store, however, the owner there (who I've come to believe is pretty knowledgeable) said that the da/sa trigger unnecessarily complicates things. He is a huge proponent of the S&W M&P9. While I like the way it feels as well there is just something about the FN that feels good. Thoughts? Opinions? I've checked out the threads I found using the search function, but wanted some direct input. Thanks again for your time.
Have you put time into shooting and learning both? If so which one do you shoot "best" and which can you conceal the most comfortably. That would mean much more to me than how someone else things a gun works unless there is a clear reliability issue with a pistol.

Redbeardsong
06-18-12, 13:28
Both are good guns. If you like having a hammer and safety, and are willing to practice and learn to shoot the DA/SA trigger, go with the FNP. If you want a consistent trigger pull every time, or want a smaller gun go with the M&P9c.

Did the dealer have both in stock, or was he steering you toward what he had to sell? There are reasons why most people prefer a modem striker action gun, but that doesn't mean the DA/SA is wrong for you.

rockonman
06-18-12, 13:35
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Grizzly:
Unfortunately my sister's wedding is the end of this month so there hasn't been time for me to shoot her fiance's FNP, and he is the only person I know that has one. I don't know anyone with an M&P, and we don't have any gun stores or ranges around here that do rentals. I'm just going off the over all feel of the gun and how the triggers feel dry firing.

Redbeard:
As I said I've been a 1911 guy since I started shooting, so a hammer and safety is all I really know, other than shooting a few glocks my friends have (didn't care for the grip angle). Also, the dealer is a S&W armorer, and carries them, but can order pretty much anything. Also if I was gonna get the M&P I'd go for the full size, my big goofy palms eat compacts. (I'm aware of the current issues with the full size, yes).

Lincoln7
06-18-12, 13:41
With the recent retirement of Bob Ailes at FN their customer service quality has dropped dramatically. In a pond filled with good customer service companies I believe FN lost a strong foothold in the market.

On to the style of pistol, I am a fan of the DA/SA setup. I've trained and carry them decocked, safety off. I'm not saying that this is better than carrying condition 1 or with a DAO striker pistol. But I have become a much better shooter from learning the DA of a hammer pistol.

rockonman
06-18-12, 14:18
Thanks Lincoln, I wasn't aware that their customer service had begun to drop. You know, another concern I had about the FNP-9 is the width, I'm not sure how effective it would be for CCW, I know I read something in one of the 'ask the SME' threads that it was better suited as a duty pistol than a CCW.

richiecotite
06-18-12, 14:42
with the fnp 9 and CC, the biggest issues are the width of the grip/gun and the large floorplate on the magazine.

I CC mine (have 2) and don't have any real issues with staying concealed. (I'm also a fat ****, so it's relatively easy to conceal an AK on my person)

I have a little one at home, and prefer the slide safety, though i've found the ambi decocker safety a bit wide and prone to molving from safe position to fire (i.e. not the gun to carry 1911 style)

All in all, im happy with mine and am looking for a third one for cheap, as prices have quietly and slowly crept back up over the past year.

F-Trooper05
06-18-12, 15:21
Personally I'd be more concerned about the lack of holsters, sights, mags, and spare parts then the DA/SA trigger.

Defaultmp3
06-18-12, 16:50
Have you considered the FN FNS series? Basically a striker-fired FNP. Unfortunately, it is a rather new model with limited reliability data, but worth checking out, IMO, if you really like the FNP.

Lincoln7
06-18-12, 17:19
Personally I'd be more concerned about the lack of holsters, sights, mags, and spare parts then the DA/SA trigger.

I have had no problems finding holsters, sights, or spare parts. Mags are sometimes tough to come by but they all ship with 3 so that's a decent start.

My biggest concern is the controls. As mentioned I find them too easy to manipulate and are often in the way. I have deactivated the safety position on my FNP9 and have removed the right side lever and thinned the left side lever on both my FNP9 and 45. Allows me to obtain a higher grip and reduces the likelyhood that I will accidentally decock the pistol during use. Something I found to be a problem before making these changes.

High Tower
06-18-12, 20:44
Have you considered the FN FNS series? Basically a striker-fired FNP. Unfortunately, it is a rather new model with limited reliability data, but worth checking out, IMO, if you really like the FNP.

I would second this option. I like what I have seen of the FNS so far.

This may be splitting hairs, but the FNP line was discontinued for the FNX series. Similar, but different in a couple of things.

Galco and Safariland (I'm sure others do too) make holsters for the FNX/S. Ameriglo makes night sights. And spare mags should be available. The only thing that may be a problem getting would be spare springs and whatnot if you are into having spares of that.

plouffedaddy
06-18-12, 21:00
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC01603.jpg

I love my FNP9m and carry it frequently. Good trigger, accurate, and 100% reliability. No complaints here.

rockonman
06-18-12, 23:51
Yeah, the FNS-9 looks pretty nice as well...I'll have to ask around and see if I can fondle one...or even better find someone that has one I can shoot. I'm definitely not opposed to the m&p. All the guys I shoot with are snobs though...1911 snobs, sig snobs, or glock snobs, I understand it...I used to be one of them...I'm trying to be more open minded now.

Grizzly16
06-19-12, 07:53
Yeah, the FNS-9 looks pretty nice as well...I'll have to ask around and see if I can fondle one...or even better find someone that has one I can shoot. I'm definitely not opposed to the m&p. All the guys I shoot with are snobs though...1911 snobs, sig snobs, or glock snobs, I understand it...I used to be one of them...I'm trying to be more open minded now.

This place will help. For the most part (outside collector pieces etc) the attitude is that guns are tools to do a job. Not a show off piece to impress folks at a range. Stick around, read a lot and it will rub off on ya :)

MegademiC
06-20-12, 00:18
This place will help. For the most part (outside collector pieces etc) the attitude is that guns are tools to do a job. Not a show off piece to impress folks at a range. Stick around, read a lot and it will rub off on ya :)

Yea, it doesnt matter what gun you have when you're smokin them on the range.

I've heard good things about the fn's but I'd worry a little about aftermarket support for holsters and such. If factory mags work well(mags seem to be the root of all reliability problems I've encountered with any weapon), and you can get a good holster - go for it.

muskie69
06-20-12, 01:42
I own several polymer pistols including the FNP-9 and M&P. My department switched from a Glock to the M&P a couple years ago. I prefer it over the FN for a few reasons.

-I like the consistancy of the DAO trigger as opposed to switching between different trigger pulls.

-Mags and holsters are easier to obtain.

- I taught a couple of civilian pistol classes and constantly de-cocking prior to reholstering the DA/SA seemed to be bothersome to some students after 8 hours of shooting.

The DAO pistols are just more simple. I think this would be advantageous to a new shooter.

rockonman
06-20-12, 10:26
One thing that I know is a turn off for most people is the M&P9's accuracy...but from what I understand it's still combat effective out to 20 yards. I'm not a bullseye shooter, I carry for self defense and once in a while I run IDPA. So, I don't think that'd be an issue for me. That being said you know ole Whelen said, "Only accurate rifles are interesting." So I'd like to have a pistol that shoots better than I do.