PDA

View Full Version : Vltor Vis-1 Is Here!!!

C4IGrant
08-29-06, 11:09
That's right boys and girls, I just got a couple of these in stock! I have not handled these since the shot show and forgot how impressive the are. Fit, finish, strength and simplicity are amazing.

Here are some pics...

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/VLTOR/VIS-1A%20Carbine.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/VLTOR/VIS-1A%20Carbine1.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/VLTOR/VIS%20Carbine%20open.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/VLTOR/VIS%20Carbine%20lower%20rail.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/VLTOR/VIS%20wrench%20and%20barrel%20nut.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/VLTOR/VIS%20barrel%20nut.JPG

SinnFéinM1911
08-29-06, 11:26
That is a sweet set up !

Im sure that these will do very well, and add to a already super line of products that VLTOR offers...

C4IGrant
08-29-06, 11:37
That is a sweet set up !

Im sure that these will do very well, and add to a already super line of products that VLTOR offers...

Agree. The VLTOR VIS with say a Noveske barrel is SEVERAL hundred dollars less than a LMT MRP.

C4

Voodoochild
08-29-06, 11:50
Grant you have to stop this. First you post pics of your Noveske DD Lite rail build and now this. Money is trying to escape my bank account to buy all the things you keep posting. I might just have to cut off the internet so I dont go crazy and broke.

Neeglik
08-29-06, 12:04
Very nice!

How hard of hit is the old bank acct going to take?

**edited to remove questions I found answers for**

C4IGrant
08-29-06, 12:06
Grant you have to stop this. First you post pics of your Noveske DD Lite rail build and now this. Money is trying to escape my bank account to buy all the things you keep posting. I might just have to cut off the internet so I dont go crazy and broke.

It is no doubt that I am an evil man!

If you think this is bad, go look at my post in the tactical gear forum about the 37MM grenade launcher!

C4

C4IGrant
08-29-06, 12:16
Very nice!

I'm a newb, so bare with me... What niche does this fit exactly? Is there any significant advantage over a separate upper and quality rail combo? I know they would be stronger, but is strength lacking in the current, "traditional" offerings?

By no means, am I flaming these, I think they are really nice. Just wondering if there was a goal that they were trying to accomplish outside of just a cool look.

Oh...and how hard of hit is the old bank acct going to take?

A mono based system gives you a lot more strength than a two piece system (rail and receiver). It also gives you a lot more flexibility when mounting optics.

When guns get hot and there is a weight on the rails, you can see a lot of flexing which could/can cause the lugs on yoru bolt to break.

The other main benefit is the receiver. Billet receivers are the only true square receivers available. This is important from an accuracy stand point when mounting optics.

C4

C4IGrant
08-29-06, 12:17
The price on the model shown is $629. If you don't want the forward assist, the price comes down some.

C4

Dave Berryhill
08-29-06, 12:24
If you can, can you weigh the VIS and also weigh a standard upper and DD or similar fore end for comparison?

SuicideHz
08-29-06, 12:36
I recommend just getting the FA. It's nice and the non- FA model's cover looks to be more of a simple bent metal as opposed to the nicely machined FA on mine...

:)

C4IGrant
08-29-06, 12:43
If you can, can you weigh the VIS and also weigh a standard upper and DD or similar fore end for comparison?

The weight of VIS (carbine) is 1.6. Weight of a CMT receiver and DD 7.0 is 1.1.

C4

nickdrak
08-29-06, 12:45
Any idea why Vltor has chosen to NOT use the "T" markings on the rails of the VIS & the MUR?

SinnFéinM1911
08-29-06, 12:48
yea, i wonder. Maybe those GREAT guys at VLTOR can enlighten us ?

**Chime** que << eric enters the room >>

C4IGrant
08-29-06, 13:00
Here are some better pics!

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/VLTOR/VIS%20Carbine%20SD%20side.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/VLTOR/VIS%20Carbine%20open1.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/VLTOR/VIS%20Carbine%20top.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/VLTOR/VIS%20Carbine%20top%20down.JPG

Boom
08-29-06, 15:15
Who is going to give us a AAR on the new upper?...... Anyone?

I still have misgivings about the FA, I can't see how it stays on the upper other than what appears to be one roll pin.

I know I'm missing something just not sure what.

VLTOR
08-29-06, 15:23
yea, i wonder. Maybe those GREAT guys at VLTOR can enlighten us ?

**Chime** que << eric enters the room >>

The reason for no "T" marks,

We currently don't have a laser that can mark the full length of the rail. We are currently looking into a laser that has 24-inches of "Y" axis travel. We hope to have all future VIS "T" marked.

Thanks for the interest.

Eric

nickdrak
08-29-06, 15:27
Thanks Eric, the uppers look awesome!

Stay safe!

SuicideHz
08-29-06, 15:52
Eric- My MUR doesn't have laser etched T-numbers though?

VLTOR
08-29-06, 18:17
Eric- My MUR doesn't have laser etched T-numbers though?

Unfortunately, the MUR has no T marks either. Our current laser has only 6-inches of travel. The laser is awesome for what we do. Mostly we bought it for engraving serial numbers and UID marks on weapons.

With the introduction of the VIS, we now are saving our pennies to get the laser with more travel. Sadly, it won't be for a few more months.

Regarding the new VIS,

The production VIS is similar to what was seen at the SHOT Show, but with a few improvements. Mostly, the lower handguard was made larger and more robust. We added a heatshield as well. The latches were relocated from the outside, to the inside. We also increased the tension of the latch detents.

We noticed during testing, the 1st Gen latches might slowly unlock. The new latches need more force to open. I designed the latch to be difficult to operate. I want to eliminate the factor of the operator wanting to remove it. I believe the handguard should only be removed for M203 installation or the installation/removal of the barrel. A tool (like a bullet tip or a prying instrument) will be needed for unlocking the latch.

We also made the upper handguard section lighter, by removing more material. I'm very please with the weight and rigidity.

All in all, it's exactly what I envisioned more then a decade ago.

Thanks,

Eric

cohiba
08-29-06, 19:39
Pretty sweet. Grant...PM sent.:D

Nitrox
08-29-06, 21:57
Very cool.

vinesr6
08-29-06, 22:21
Whoa...when's the middy and/or rifle length due out? Thanks. I have a Noveske 12.5" barrel w/OPS stuff..inbound...and that middy is calling me..:D

VLTOR
08-29-06, 22:38
Whoa...when's the middy and/or rifle length due out? Thanks. I have a Noveske 12.5" barrel w/OPS stuff..inbound...and that middy is calling me..:D

I don't like promising any dates, but we are working on 300 mid-lengths as I write this post. I hope to start shipping in the weeks to come. Rifle-length will be available by the end of the year.

Eric

SinnFéinM1911
08-30-06, 08:45
What about a super SPR 240" VIS for my AirSoft ?

All kidding aside, great stuff eric, I cant wait to get ahold of one to mount up !

SuicideHz
08-30-06, 09:56
Eric-

How are the markings on the upper done? I really like them a lot. Most pictures don't show the detail of the markings. None of the pictures I have seen show the detail of the lettering with that deep black outline that makes it really sophisticated looking. Nothing at all like the LMT upper I had with a few thin lines etched in and then filled with a white substance.

Anyway, I wanted to compliment you on the appearance of the markings and ask how it is they are created to look that way?

Joe

Dave Berryhill
08-30-06, 10:04
The weight of VIS (carbine) is 1.6. Weight of a CMT receiver and DD 7.0 is 1.1.

C4

Excellent. Thanks!

VLTOR
08-30-06, 14:09
Eric-

How are the markings on the upper done? I really like them a lot. Most pictures don't show the detail of the markings. None of the pictures I have seen show the detail of the lettering with that deep black outline that makes it really sophisticated looking. Nothing at all like the LMT upper I had with a few thin lines etched in and then filled with a white substance.

Anyway, I wanted to compliment you on the appearance of the markings and ask how it is they are created to look that way?

Joe

Joe-

There are many lasers, but without getting complex, the best way to describe it is there are Lasers that mark and lasers that mark and engrave. Per AFT rules, laser engraved serial numbers must penetrate more than .005 in depth into the parent material. So, when picking a marking and engraving laser, we went with the best. The Trumpf system gives us the best quality/detail (ideal for the UID marks) and has excellent penetration for serializing weapons receivers. Our current engraver cost 100k and new model (with larger work space to do T marks) will run 200k plus. I guess we need to sell a few more VISs and buttstocks to pay for that bad boy.

Eric

SuicideHz
08-30-06, 15:17
Eric-

I'm not sure you took my last post as a compliment and wanted to make sure you did. I really like the engravings and am not complaining about a lack of T-numbers.

I was curious about the neat black outline effect that the letters have at the moment...

VLTOR
08-30-06, 17:44
Eric-

I'm not sure you took my last post as a compliment and wanted to make sure you did. I really like the engravings and am not complaining about a lack of T-numbers.

I was curious about the neat black outline effect that the letters have at the moment...

I have no problem in taking a compliments. Thanks!:)

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of the T marks either. The T marks were a SOPMOD requirement and I highly doubt that the VIS will ever be a SOPMOD runner-up. In the long run, I may wait to see what the customers/end users want. Who know, the VIS may never see T marks.

Once again, thanks for the interest and compliment.

Eric

9DivDoc
08-30-06, 18:08
very informative post so I censored my supercilious comment

MEANGREEN
08-30-06, 18:20
Eric,

Can you explain the process of removing/installing the barrel?

From the pictures that Grant posted it looks like all I really need
is a torque wrench used with the barrel wrench that you provide?

Thanks in advance.

VLTOR
08-30-06, 22:50
Eric,

Can you explain the process of removing/installing the barrel?

From the pictures that Grant posted it looks like all I really need
is a torque wrench used with the barrel wrench that you provide?

Thanks in advance.

You are correct. All is needed is a 1/2-inch drive torque wrench set at 50 foot pounds and grey never-seize compound (applied to the barrel nut thread).

Now for the legal shpeel: The barrel installation and removal should be preformed by a qualified gunsmith and/or armorer. The wrench that is equipped with each kit should only be used one time, then promptly disposed. In the near future, an armorer's wrench will be available for continuous usage.

OK, back to the basics. After the VIS barrel nut is installed, onto the barrel assembly the barrel can be installed. The beauty of the VIS system is that the barrel can be installed with the gas tube installed. The barrel nut functions freely with the gas tube in place.

With the barrel installed, one just needs to tighten the barrel nut down by hand. When snug, use the barrel wrench to tighten the nut the rest of the way. The VIS has enough room to rotate the nut and wrench 1/4 turns at a time. With the nut torqued to the recommended 50 foot pounds, install the lower handguard and you are good to go.

In all, it's a pretty simple system. Under normal circumstances, a barrel can be install and removed within 5 minutes. Legal shpeel again: Vltor does not recommend the VIS to be used as a quick change barrel system. The barrel should never be removed other then to repair/maintain or replace the existing barrel. When changing the barrel, we recommend the your qualified gunsmith/armorer to use the robust Vltor armorer's wrench.

I hope I answered your question.

Eric

MEANGREEN
08-31-06, 12:14
Now for the legal shpeel: The barrel installation and removal should be preformed by a qualified gunsmith and/or armorer. The wrench that is equipped with each kit should only be used one time, then promptly disposed. In the near future, an armorer's wrench will be available for continuous usage.

Thanks for answering my question.

Just curious as to why the wrench that is currently supplied with the kit can only be used once?

Can an "off the shelf" barrel wrench, say from Brownells, be used for the installation or does it specifically require the VLTOR wrench?

C4IGrant
09-01-06, 07:54
Thanks for answering my question.

Just curious as to why the wrench that is currently supplied with the kit can only be used once?

Can an "off the shelf" barrel wrench, say from Brownells, be used for the installation or does it specifically require the VLTOR wrench?

VLTOR will be providing hardened wrench in the future. You can most likely get a couple installs out of the wrench provided.

You cannot use any other wrench, but the VLTOR.

C4

09-02-06, 20:40
What is the width of the rail compared to say a DD of LaRue?

olds442tyguy
09-07-06, 13:44
What is the width of the rail compared to say a DD of LaRue?
I'll second that question, but I'm also wondering what the internal diameter of the rail is at the smallest point. For instance, would it be able to cover a KX3 flash hider?

PossumKop
09-07-06, 15:18
daddy like

VLTOR
09-08-06, 17:04
With some quick checking, here are the widths I came up with:

VIS 2.260 inches
DD RAS 1.935 inches
LT RAS 2.0 inches
DD Lite Rail 2.050 inches

The reason the VIS is wider then a conventional RAS is because of the barrel nut, which needs to fit inside. Also, I wanted to make sure the Picatinny rail were true MilStd 1913.

The bore of the VIS is rather tight. The narrowest part is a little more then one-inch.

I hope I answered all questions.

Eric

CQB
09-08-06, 17:27
Would love to have one with an 18' Noveske 6.5 Grendel.:eek:

K.L. Davis
09-09-06, 11:10
But how will we know what the top of our rifle is without them :eek:

I have no problem in taking a compliments. Thanks!:)

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of the T marks either. The T marks were a SOPMOD requirement and I highly doubt that the VIS will ever be a SOPMOD runner-up. In the long run, I may wait to see what the customers/end users want. Who know, the VIS may never see T marks.

Once again, thanks for the interest and compliment.

Eric

Nitrox
09-09-06, 15:12
Is there any plans to make a training video to go along with the T numbers?

VLTOR
09-11-06, 12:51
But how will we know what the top of our rifle is without them :eek:

For you, Vltor will install a plum bob ;)