PDA

View Full Version : Buying first Bolt, thinking of an FN SPR

Philkilla
01-17-08, 23:42
Hello all, I'm new around here and glad to be here as well.

I've been searching the market for a Precision piece to puts rounds downrange and hunt with in the future; I was considering a Remington 700 Tactical model for a while, until I stumbled across this: http://www.fnhusa.com/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF006&gid=FNG005&mid=FNM0022

The local gun shop has one in stock for around $1800, however, the clerk said a customer purchased it, fired 5 rounds and returned it. He said, "customers buy stuff and return them every once and a while." My major concern is, I don't want a rifle that hasn't been broken in properly, OR that has any flaws.

I've been shooting my M4 for years now, and spent much time firing M16's and 249's while I was in the army, so I know my way around a weapon pretty well.

I'm just looking for a bit of advice to get over this first hump, so any comments will be greatly appreciated!

Gunfighter13
01-18-08, 06:35
The FN is a good gun but for about $2300.00 you could have gun and optics if you went the 700 Police route. After break-in you should get ½ to sub ½ groups at 100yds.

700P sells for around $800-$850
Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M3 for $1050.00
$250 for 20 MOA base and rings
Add a sling and bi-pod and case for $200.00

The most important thing you can do for a precision gun is break-in the barrel correctly.

bullitt5172
01-18-08, 11:22
The FN is a good gun but for about $2300.00 you could have gun and optics if you went the 700 Police route. After break-in you should get ½ to sub ½ groups at 100yds.

700P sells for around $800-$850
Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M3 for $1050.00
$250 for 20 MOA base and rings
Add a sling and bi-pod and case for $200.00

The most important thing you can do for a precision gun is break-in the barrel correctly.

Not a concern on the FN, the barrel is chrome lined and there is no break-in needed.

My FN SPR A2 shoots consistent 1/2 MOA groups or better. It's been a great gun right out of the box. I bought it, mounted the Mark 4 and went to the range. One nice thing about the FN, there is no truing, blueprinting etc needed. They are done right out of the box, this is straight from Randy ar RD Precision. The 700 isn't a bad choice but you'll spend a lot more than the above breakdown once you start buying a good stock, having the action worked over etc to get it to the same level as the stock FN.

Philkilla
01-18-08, 14:16
So that used SPR A2 at the shop is a good bet than.

I already have a case I can use (I'm looking to sell my M4 anyway).

The scope will be another bump I have to cross, I want some high quality glass, and of course leupold was one of the ones on my list.

Gunfighter13
01-19-08, 02:44
So that used SPR A2 at the shop is a good bet than.

I already have a case I can use (I'm looking to sell my M4 anyway).

The scope will be another bump I have to cross, I want some high quality glass, and of course leupold was one of the ones on my list.

NIB A2's go for around $1800.00 to $2200.00, so you have to decide if that's a good deal for you. What ever you do don't skimp on the scope and rings. I would recommend Leupold, S&B, Nightforce....etc.

Robb Jensen
01-19-08, 06:40
Hello all, I'm new around here and glad to be here as well.

I've been searching the market for a Precision piece to puts rounds downrange and hunt with in the future; I was considering a Remington 700 Tactical model for a while, until I stumbled across this: http://www.fnhusa.com/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF006&gid=FNG005&mid=FNM0022

The local gun shop has one in stock for around $1800, however, the clerk said a customer purchased it, fired 5 rounds and returned it. He said, "customers buy stuff and return them every once and a while." My major concern is, I don't want a rifle that hasn't been broken in properly, OR that has any flaws.

I've been shooting my M4 for years now, and spent much time firing M16's and 249's while I was in the army, so I know my way around a weapon pretty well.

I'm just looking for a bit of advice to get over this first hump, so any comments will be greatly appreciated!

Break-in is like voodoo.
Look up Gale McMillans thoughts on break-in.....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Gale+McMillan+barrel+break+in&btnG=Google+Search

Barrels either 'shoot' or they don't.

The FNs are nice rifles.

I'd look at factory Rem 700s too. Remington has just come out with two more budget minded rifles. The SPS Tactical is a 20" Rem 700 (.308) with the econo finish (like the Rem 870 Express) an unfluted bbl and a Hogue rubber stock and their new trigger. It's retail price is about $600.00

Gunfighter13
01-20-08, 07:49
I must be getting some lemons then because I have yet to own a new rifle or to have one that was re-barreled that I could get a good cold bore shot from until it had been broken in. Cold bore shot has always been off away from the rest of the shots until the "not needed" break-in was done.

bullitt5172
01-20-08, 11:44
I must be getting some lemons then because I have yet to own a new rifle or to have one that was re-barreled that I could get a good cold bore shot from until it had been broken in. Cold bore shot has always been off away from the rest of the shots until the "not needed" break-in was done.

You can put in quotation marks if you want but the general consensus from most barrel manufacturers is that a break in is not needed. I've never used a specific break in on any of my rifles, chrome lined, stainless etc. I've never seen a change in accuracy. I've called numerous companies and I've been told "just shoot it" more often than not. You may have "lemons" ;)

Gunfighter13
01-20-08, 16:53
Yea that was the same thing I was told to "just shoot it". :D That's what I did with all of them and they all closed the grouping. I'm not talking about shoot X amount of rounds then clean or any voodoo special break-in procedures. I just have never seen one of mine group (to include the cold bore shot) right out of the box. I'm only talking about a five shot group; 4 grouped sub 1/2 and one CB 1/2" to 1" away. That goes away after a varied amount of rounds are put through the guns. Some closed up after 20 rounds and some took 60 or more. I have two AI duty guns one 308 and one 300 win mag, both did the same thing. Most of the time now when I get a new gun or have one barreled I just go take a class and burn rounds through it. That’s what I consider my break-in now. So I do think that some type of break-in / cleaning works for me. I don't think what I do to get the grouping tight is any different than anyone’s normal gun maintenance. No Voodoo. You know I am an LEO so to me taming a rifles grouping is the most important thing you can do. I have that, account for every shot mindset. ;)

bullitt5172
01-20-08, 17:18
Yea that was the same thing I was told to "just shoot it". :D That's what I did with all of them and they all closed the grouping. I'm not talking about shoot X amount of rounds then clean or any voodoo special break-in procedures. I just have never seen one of mine group (to include the cold bore shot) right out of the box. I'm only talking about a five shot group; 4 grouped sub 1/2 and one CB 1/2" to 1" away. That goes away after a varied amount of rounds are put through the guns. Some closed up after 20 rounds and some took 60 or more. I have two AI duty guns one 308 and one 300 win mag, both did the same thing. Most of the time now when I get a new gun or have one barreled I just go take a class and burn rounds through it. That’s what I consider my break-in now. So I do think that some type of break-in / cleaning works for me. I don't think what I do to get the grouping tight is any different than anyone’s normal gun maintenance. No Voodoo. You know I am an LEO so to me taming a rifles grouping is the most important thing you can do. I have that, account for every shot mindset. ;)

I agree with you on that, I was thinking you were talking about a specific break in precedure. Good post.

Gunfighter13
01-20-08, 17:31
I agree with you on that, I was thinking you were talking about a specific break in precedure. Good post.

My original statement was kind of all engulfing. That’s what being dragged out of bed at four in the morning and then sitting around for six or seven hours on scene in the van, waiting for the bosses to decide if they really needed us to be called out or not, does to you.

Philkilla
01-20-08, 20:30
My original statement was kind of all engulfing. That’s what being dragged out of bed at four in the morning and then sitting around for six or seven hours on scene in the van, waiting for the bosses to decide if they really needed us to be called out or not, does to you.

Ahhh...hurry up and wait never dies.

Hopefully this rifle isn't a lemon, even if it is, I'll just return it.

I'm pretty dead set on it for now, and thanks everyone for your advice. Now off to sell my M4....:eek:

JStor
01-23-08, 22:15
Another rifle worth considering is a Winchester 70 Stealth. This is a push feed action, and they can be found slightly used. You can shoot it with the HS Precision stock while you wait for an A-series McMillan to arrive. It all depends on how much you want to spend up front. :D