PDA

View Full Version : WINNING with the Internet - a proposal

QuietShootr
06-19-12, 09:42
After what happened last night and this morning, a thought occurred to me. We have some seriously smart people here, and it would be cool to have a Life TTPs thread where you could post tips and tricks that could save you money, aggravation, or oxygen (sort of like a whole-life version of the SCAR Tips thread), and people here would understand our 'unique' perspective that might not be as appreciated in a home improvement forum, for instance. Here's how it could work:

Post a question to a problem you're having in GD. If/when the question is answered, and the consensus is that it's worth moving to the Life TTPs sticky, then the Q and A are moved to the sticky and the thread is deleted - this keeps from cluttering up the forum.

Sort of like the Ask a SME thread, general guidelines would be "Don't be a dumb-ass." Example of a good question would be:

My air conditioner blower is locked up. What are a couple of things I can try before I make a $300 service call?

Now to my little anecdote that inspired this thought. Last night about 2230, with outside temps above the 90s, it suddenly got hotter than **** in here. Now, I am no kind of a handyman, but I do understand the refrigeration cycle, so I checked the inside unit first. Hmmm.. Coils are room temp (i.e. warm.) I go outside, and immediately grasp the problem. The blower is not turning, and is making a sound that sounds a lot like a jammed electric motor.

****. I pull the breaker and take the top off the AC unit, and try to spin the fan by hand. It's turning, but not spinning freely. So I try a hillbilly trick. I spin the blades by hand and have my wife flip the breaker. The fan grudgingly starts spinning, and I put the top back on the unit. Cut to 0200, and wake up hot again. Open all the windows, go back to bed.

Get up 0630, sweating like a pig. I think "****. This is going to be an $500 service call to somebody." Then I think, "Wait, I know! The Internet!" and I look up 'blower motor not working', and I find something about lubricating the bearings. I says to myself,"Self, we own lots of oils." I find a picture of the motor with parts nomenclature on the web, and locate the two oil ports, one for each bearing at the end of the motor. Six drops of CLP per end later, I'm enjoying frosty 23-degree-dropped air measured at the plenum. That was 0730 - after a couple of minutes of erratic spinning while the (undoubtedly dry) bearings got the oil distributed, now it's spinning like George Washington in his grave.

There's a sticker on the side of the motor that says "Lubricate every 5 months" that the last service guy said nothing about - and I'm quite certain that had I called someone out here, they would have wanted to replace the motor, the starter cap, and god knows what else, but I would have been lucky to get off with a $500 bill.

Blah blah, I know - but the moral of the story is: Lubricate your AC blower bearings. It's easy, free, and could probably save you a shitload of money.

There, there's tip #1.

montanadave
06-19-12, 10:17
Proper lubrication.

There's just no end to the situations in which this advice can alleviate misery.

QuietShootr
06-19-12, 11:05
Proper lubrication.

There's just no end to the situations in which this advice can alleviate misery.

Well played, sir.

jklaughrey
06-19-12, 11:08
Yes lubricate and also change your filter once a month. Clogged filters will make the unit work harder and raise your kWs.

Zhurdan
06-19-12, 11:31
Assuming you don't have one already, buy a programmable thermostat. No need working the unit if you're not home. Plus, it pays dividends in cost savings.

feedramp
06-19-12, 11:59

jmp45
06-19-12, 14:23
Also, doesn't hurt to open up the air conditioner and hose out the condenser once a year. If it gets clogged with debris it will overheat and you'll lose your compressor.. Happened years ago, don't ask..;)

Smuckatelli
06-19-12, 14:42
During memorial day weekend, my neighbor and I replaced the wheel blower and motor......then the coil kept on freezing. The heater/AC unit was from 1997, no way to get a new coil. I ended up having to replace the heater, coil, and condensor. I have learned so much about HVAC these past few weeks that my head hurts.

I did get lucky though; my nieghbor and his wife were lawyers in thier home country. He was concerned about his English so he got certified in HVAC and formed his own company.

He gets everything for me at cost as long as I help him install.

Smuckatelli
06-19-12, 14:49
Replacing filters as mentioned above is a good call. Keep in mind, covering/blocking vents screws up the whole HVAC system in the house especially if the vent is at the end of a duct 'arm'.

If you notice the line outside connected to the condensor or the lines inside has ice in it; turn off the system and let the ice melt. Clean the outside of the lines and put some new insulation on them. There are two lines; one hot, one cold....only the cold one freezes up and has insulation. After a while the insulation get brittle and falls off. Humidity outside helps to form ice on this line. Hardware stores sell the insulation, very cheap and easy to install.

Keep in mind the drain coming from the coil (the coil is right above the heater) is clogged, you're going to get a flood around your heater unitl. Check to make sure that the drain is clean.

Moltke
06-19-12, 14:51
After what happened last night and this morning, a thought occurred to me. We have some seriously smart people here, and it would be cool to have a Life TTPs thread where you could post tips and tricks that could save you money, aggravation, or oxygen (sort of like a whole-life version of the SCAR Tips thread), and people here would understand our 'unique' perspective that might not be as appreciated in a home improvement forum, for instance. Here's how it could work:

Post a question to a problem you're having in GD. If/when the question is answered, and the consensus is that it's worth moving to the Life TTPs sticky, then the Q and A are moved to the sticky and the thread is deleted - this keeps from cluttering up the forum.

Sort of like the Ask a SME thread, general guidelines would be "Don't be a dumb-ass." Example of a good question would be:

My air conditioner blower is locked up. What are a couple of things I can try before I make a $300 service call?

Now to my little anecdote that inspired this thought. Last night about 2230, with outside temps above the 90s, it suddenly got hotter than **** in here. Now, I am no kind of a handyman, but I do understand the refrigeration cycle, so I checked the inside unit first. Hmmm.. Coils are room temp (i.e. warm.) I go outside, and immediately grasp the problem. The blower is not turning, and is making a sound that sounds a lot like a jammed electric motor.

****. I pull the breaker and take the top off the AC unit, and try to spin the fan by hand. It's turning, but not spinning freely. So I try a hillbilly trick. I spin the blades by hand and have my wife flip the breaker. The fan grudgingly starts spinning, and I put the top back on the unit. Cut to 0200, and wake up hot again. Open all the windows, go back to bed.

Get up 0630, sweating like a pig. I think "****. This is going to be an $500 service call to somebody." Then I think, "Wait, I know! The Internet!" and I look up 'blower motor not working', and I find something about lubricating the bearings. I says to myself,"Self, we own lots of oils." I find a picture of the motor with parts nomenclature on the web, and locate the two oil ports, one for each bearing at the end of the motor. Six drops of CLP per end later, I'm enjoying frosty 23-degree-dropped air measured at the plenum. That was 0730 - after a couple of minutes of erratic spinning while the (undoubtedly dry) bearings got the oil distributed, now it's spinning like George Washington in his grave.

There's a sticker on the side of the motor that says "Lubricate every 5 months" that the last service guy said nothing about - and I'm quite certain that had I called someone out here, they would have wanted to replace the motor, the starter cap, and god knows what else, but I would have been lucky to get off with a $500 bill.

Blah blah, I know - but the moral of the story is: Lubricate your AC blower bearings. It's easy, free, and could probably save you a shitload of money.

There, there's tip #1.

Mission Statement - The purpose of M4Carbine.net is to provide a forum to share professional and technical information to the shooting community. The forum is open to military, law enforcement, and recreational shooters.

MistWolf
06-19-12, 20:31
Create opportunities for your children to make their own decisions according to their experience. Don't use any choices you don't want them to make. They'll be better able to handle the tough decisions that come their way and will be better people for it

P2000
06-19-12, 21:40
I like the idea. Shit, I thought AC motor bearings were sealed and unserviceable. Learned something new already. I bet the only way a repairman would fix this would be a new motor or unit. Now I know to stay on top of it!!