PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting article I read today

Esquire
06-19-12, 09:44
I found this article very interesting today as I always seek the best way to carry my EDC needs, this is a barebones, danger is imminent carry method that never ever crossed my mind, in short a good read and a thinker

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/the-bag-trick-how-to-easily-conceal-a-weapon-in-public

QuietShootr
06-19-12, 09:48
Can't open it, but I assume he's talking about carrying your pistol in your hand inside a shopping bag. Old trick - I use it when killing something with a suppressed pistol in plain view and want to retain the brass. Paper grocery bag with handles works best for this - Pass hand through outside handle, hand yourself the pistol with your other hand, and walk. If anyone notices it just looks like you're holding the bag funny. Walk up to your target, click-click-click-, and you're off up the chimney like Old Saint Nick.

Grizzly16
06-19-12, 09:54
So you have a slippery piece of plastic between the gun and your hand? Reloads are nearly impossible? And you can't use the sights?

If you are walking into a situation where that is the "best" option to protect your self I'd suggest you not go there to begin with.

Really what kind of situation do you go into with a weapon like this?

Failure2Stop
06-19-12, 09:56
I'm familiar with the technique, but what I thought was the best part of the article was the "how to spot it"/SA points.

Summary: be cautious of 250 lb dudes carrying a dark plastic bag in a full grip.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

sgtjosh
06-19-12, 16:45
Asking for trouble, because it will appear you are looking for trouble...

Steve S.
06-20-12, 00:37
Old trick - I use it when killing something with a suppressed pistol in plain view and want to retain the brass.

Sounds like your day job is a lot cooler than mine...

CaptainDooley
06-20-12, 10:38
Sounds like your day job is a lot cooler than mine...

He could tell you about it, but then he'd have to kill you... :sarcastic:

Seriously, if I'm in an area where I need a weapon in my hand NOW, I probably don't care about concealing it - for that matter, if I know I need a weapon, it'll be a rifle. I'm no spy, so I don't have plans for any clandestine kills. I'm a father and a husband with a non LEO/MIL job, so I don't go looking for trouble, I just make sure I'm ready if it finds me.

Grizzly16
06-20-12, 10:59
Can't open it, but I assume he's talking about carrying your pistol in your hand inside a shopping bag. Old trick - I use it when killing something with a suppressed pistol in plain view and want to retain the brass. Paper grocery bag with handles works best for this - Pass hand through outside handle, hand yourself the pistol with your other hand, and walk. If anyone notices it just looks like you're holding the bag funny. Walk up to your target, click-click-click-, and you're off up the chimney like Old Saint Nick.

Don't forget to use bullets made of ice. That way the evidence of your ninja kill just melts away? :ph34r:

QuietShootr
06-20-12, 12:33
I know it's a lot more fun to just be an asshole on the net, but try to imagine a scenario where a regular guy would want to shoot something in public view and not attract attention...say, a nuisance animal in your front yard in full view of a public street.

Steve S.
06-20-12, 15:03
I know it's a lot more fun to just be an asshole on the net, but try to imagine a scenario where a regular guy would want to shoot something in public view and not attract attention...say, a nuisance animal in your front yard in full view of a public street.

I wasn't trying to be an asshole. Honestly thought you might be smoking fools for a living. I'll usually take someone at their word... until they want a discount that is.

The brass thing makes sense though.

warpigM-4
06-20-12, 15:08
what movie was it that I think Kevin Cosner was a Killer and taped a zip lock bag over his hand gun to catch the Brass:confused: I saw it and was like HMMMMM never thought of that :D

mallowpufft
06-20-12, 15:14

Pellet pistol. Louder but no chance of getting hit with discharging a firearm in the city limits. (That's my poor man solution). :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

QuietShootr
06-20-12, 15:17
Pellet pistol. Louder but no chance of getting hit with discharging a firearm in the city limits. (That's my poor man solution). :D

I was talking about a suppressed .22. If you use a paper shopping bag, it doesn't billow out like the plastic ones do when you fire a shot, it just punches a little hole in the bag and the brass stays inside.

ETA: and the pellet gun carries a much higher risk that your intended victim will let out a banshee-like wail and streak off for home with a hole in it, and then you get to be that guy on the news who was wasting the crazy cat lady's vermin.

mallowpufft
06-20-12, 16:34
I was talking about a suppressed .22. If you use a paper shopping bag, it doesn't billow out like the plastic ones do when you fire a shot, it just punches a little hole in the bag and the brass stays inside.

ETA: and the pellet gun carries a much higher risk that your intended victim will let out a banshee-like wail and streak off for home with a hole in it, and then you get to be that guy on the news who was wasting the crazy cat lady's vermin.

LOL. I got the suppressed .22 part. Where I live it's illegal to discharge a firearm within the town limits. A tuned up 800fps pellet pistol does the trick within 20 yards for those of us with suck restrictions. Somehow my live traps occasionally catch cats, too. I always release them. Just not always in my neighborhood.

Grizzly16
06-20-12, 16:47

Sorry man, I really thought you were being sarcastic about the whole thing. For killing squirrels/ animals etc I can see what you are saying. But the article was specifically talking about walking through town with a revolver hidden by a plastic sack so you can pop rounds in anyone super fast. Which is full on retard to me outside of some VERY specific and probably un-realistic criteria.

Pax
06-20-12, 19:40
what movie was it that I think Kevin Cosner was a Killer and taped a zip lock bag over his hand gun to catch the Brass:confused: I saw it and was like HMMMMM never thought of that :D

Mr. Brooks, I believe.

I appreciate any new knowledge regarding how to employ a weapon to protect. So thank you, OP, I had not yet heard of this. I believe every technique, especially if it was only designed for use under adverse circumstances and/or with sub-ideal equipment has its merit and appropriate time and place for use.

Moose-Knuckle
06-21-12, 00:36
This reminds me of the pre CCW days when my father use to carry a S&W snubbie in a Whitman's chocolate sampler box.

VooDoo6Actual
06-21-12, 05:46
Good thread. Reminds me of the constant need for SA.

Can't really think of SA as ever a bad thing...

Great story Moose-Knuckle about your father etc.

I had similar experiences w/ my Father, Grandfather, Uncles & so on.
One of my Uncles' was a 4 War Vet & Silver Eagle w/ Pappy, 32 Mason SR etc always carried his 1911 Rand mexican style & his glovebox when in vehicle. What a character. I'm eternally grateful for his indelible memories, mentoring & bonding moments.
All Characters in their own way, that helped forge my beliefs currently.

What a stark contrast to today's youth.