PDA

View Full Version : ? re DD vs MP15

1oldgrunt
06-19-12, 13:48
I have a SW MP15 with surefire rails on the front, thinking of getting a daniel Defense DDm4V5 or 7

is the DD that much better built than the Smith??

my thanks in advance.

fallenromeo
06-19-12, 14:01
What do you use it for? Is the DD a superior rifle? Yes. Does it justify the additional cost? Depends on what you use it for. If you use it for self defense or really put a lot of lead downrange, probably. If you just plink a couple hundred rounds a year at the range then probably not.

jhs1969
06-19-12, 14:23
What fallen said,

I would recommend reviewing the chart and see what points are going to be important to you and make your decision from there.

Fetep
06-19-12, 16:09
I have a SW MP15 with surefire rails on the front, thinking of getting a daniel Defense DDm4V5 or 7

is the DD that much better built than the Smith??

my thanks in advance.

Yes!

My buddy just bought the DD V5, and wow! Buy one and I assure you you will not be disappointed, shoots very nice, very accurate and very light. I have an LMT MRP and it feels very similar, but lighter:-)

Fetep

Quentin
06-19-12, 17:33
I also would say DD is superior. But the S&W isn't horrible, in fact it's the best of the common brand names you see in the rack in most gun shops. (Brands like DPMS, BM, Del-Ton, Oly, RRA, etc.)

Split66
06-19-12, 18:50
Out of the box the DDM4v5 or 7 comes light, fast, and all parts in spec or better......squashing the need to "upgrade". Thats what makes it superior, your primary components are among the best offered giving you a rifle you can add some doo dads too but can keep in relatively the same format as you bought it...for the rest of your life. My buddy sold his M1 carbine today for his first AR, upon my recommendation he chose a DDm4V7. I told him that flat out.....dont screw around just buy the best. Now he can spend his cash on ammo and a few other things vs the rifle turning into a money pit just to make it "up to snuff".

duece71
06-19-12, 23:25
I have both (M&P15 and DDM4V3) and would say that there are some features on the Smith that would be considered "lower" tier. My MP has a 1:9 barrel, not that I notice it much compared to the DD 1:7 shooting 55gr FMJ. Both run flawlessly with the right ammo. The DD did not like Tula but no problems with any other steel case brand.
Should you upgrade to the DD? That depends on your own reasons. How much have you shot the Smith? Have you noticed if the Smith is some how holding you back? Like others have said, maybe a no BS assessment of what you are going to be doing with the rifle is in order. Keep the Smith, save up for the DD and have both.

VIP3R 237
06-19-12, 23:34
What deuce71 said. I also have had a S&W M&P15TS and a DDM4V5 in the past, (sold em both to fund my LMT monstrosity :D) the DD is the superior firearm but the Smith is a good rifle. My smith was overgassed but an H buffer helped alot. DD's are one of the nicer out of the box rifles out there, but as many have mentioned is it worth it to you for the extra $ difference?

I have both (M&P15 and DDM4V3) and would say that there are some features on the Smith that would be considered "lower" tier. My MP has a 1:9 barrel, not that I notice it much compared to the DD 1:7 shooting 55gr FMJ. Both run flawlessly with the right ammo. The DD did not like Tula but no problems with any other steel case brand.
Should you upgrade to the DD? That depends on your own reasons. How much have you shot the Smith? Have you noticed if the Smith is some how holding you back? Like others have said, maybe a no BS assessment of what you are going to be doing with the rifle is in order. Keep the Smith, save up for the DD and have both.

TehLlama
06-20-12, 13:32
If you find a deal on the DD, go for it, but I wouldn't leap to throwing money at it when you already have something working. The DD V5 is THE best starting rifle (that, or a Colt 6720 w/ DD/C4 FSP rail), but with your current sunk cost, you'll lose value in the MP15 needlessly, and the DD doesn't do much your MP15 can't.