PDA

View Full Version : Sling and mount questions

Doc Safari
06-19-12, 16:54
Can this mount:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=38848/Product/AR-15-M16-RAIL-MOUNT-SLING-LOOP

be used with the Vickers Blue Force VCAS sling?

I have searched all afternoon for the answer. I plan to do another search here with different key words here in a minute.

The description would tend to make you think that the sling is about 1/4" too wide for this loop. On the other hand I'd think that coming from the same manufacturer they would have made the two compatible.

Anybody?

EDITED TO ADD: I went back and read the customer reviews on the Brownells site. It appears one customer is saying they work together.

I guess the mods can delete this one unless someone has something to add. :D

Wiggity
06-19-12, 18:19
Yes they work

Doc Safari
06-20-12, 09:30
Cool.

Since this thread is still active, I might as well add another sling mount question.

The issue is that when I'm at the ranch, I carry the rifle at port arms across my chest. Using the old school sling swivel allows the sling to bang into my Surefire too much, activating the light when I don't want it to at night. The light is mounted on the Midwest Industries front sight mount at approximately 11 o'clock.

I'm trying to solve the sling-hitting-light problem on the cheap. I've got the Magpul MOE handguards already, as well as a set of M4 handguards.

I'm concerned the sling mount in my first post might be in the way of my off hand activating the light under stress.

(I have a rail on the MOE handguard at the 10 o'clock position behind the light).

Thoughts?

Pax
06-20-12, 13:56
Couple things.

First, try mounting your rail as far back on the handguard as possible, then the sling mount as far back on it as possible. Many people run two points in this configuration, see if you can make it work for you.

If you have not already purchased the BFG sling mount, consider a different mount such as Magpul's RSA that features an offset mounting point. This will allow you to mount the rail and the RSA at 12 o'clock, clearing your hand position issue up. The sling will then sit just off to the left so as to stay out of your optic's Field Of View. The RSA will work just fine with 1" and 1.25" webbing of all specifications and types. It will bunch the webbing up at the attachment point, but we're not lifting anywhere near even any flat webbing's tensile strength so weakening the attachment point marginally by bunching the webbing is of no concern whatsoever.

Depending on the Surefire model/what tailcap youre using, you may be able to just back the tailcap off a few rotations such that you can still activate the light with your finger when you push positively but a slight bump against anything else will not activate it. If youre interested, there are a few companies out there making replacement tailcaps or tailcap covers with shrouds specifically designed to prevent accidental discharge of the light.

Doc Safari
06-20-12, 14:04
Good suggestions.

I will try moving the rail further back.

I may also try the (gulp) Bushmaster barrel-mounted side swivel mount. The Colt one no longer has the slot cut for both standard M4 and pencil barrels. The Bushmaster one does.

I have the side swivel on my standard M4 and I seem to remember that the sling did not interfere with the light, nor did it bump it.

(I'm talking about the side swivel that comes standard on the Colt M4 6920).

While typing this I have another browser open and I'm not finding the Bushmaster one in stock anywhere (I already called them and they're backordered).

Guess I'll have to swallow twice and order the ProMag PM008 through Amazon.com

(Gosh, I feel filthy just adding a cheap accessory to a quality rifle, but it will tell me if that type of swivel will work. For $22 it's worth a try--might be okay).

Pax
06-20-12, 20:33
Why are you... What? No.

Buy an RSA, VTAC LUSA or any of the million other rail-mounted options if youre going to spend money.

Why are you even considering anything made by ProMag? I hate blind discrimination based solely on brand as much as anybody, but seriously. Why.

Doc Safari
06-21-12, 09:40
Why are you even considering anything made by ProMag? I hate blind discrimination based solely on brand as much as anybody, but seriously. Why.

I detest ProMag too, but there is some method to my madness here.

1. As far as I know, Colt no longer makes the side swivel with the dogbone machined for both pencil and M4 barrels. I'll have to keep searching for one. The ProMag is available now.

2. Bushmaster is out of stock on their version of that and couldn't tell me when they would be back in stock.

3. For $22 I can tell from the Pro Mag version if that type of swivel is what I'm looking for (that is, whether I should keep my eyes out for a Colt one or eliminate that style entirely). I can monitor the wear and tear on it (like if the rivet is soft Chinese crap and the unit starts to come apart quickly). Again, for $22 it's more an experiment in whether it's worthwhile to keep seeking the Colt one than it is any confidence in the ProMag swivel's quality.

4. I ordered a Midwest Industries rail-mounted quick-detach swivel mount for the rail on my MagPul MOE handguards, so I'm covered no matter what.

Although I give Bushmaster Hell for their rifle quality, I'm not afraid of something like a sling swivel from them. Once BM gets these back in stock, or the ProMag swivel proves to be junk, I'll have moved on to something else anyway.

I'm not sure I'm going to like the MOE rail mount, so this side swivel is an el cheapo alternative. I'm a special snowflake in the sense that if I don't immediately like an accessory, it gets yanked.

Pax
06-21-12, 12:33
Alright man, your money. That said if you were experiencing issues with a FSB-mounted sling loop, I doubt this is going to really solve the issue. Might just mar the barrel and/or FSB a bit, dunno.

If Colt makes a dogbone for a smaller barrel, it would be the easiest thing in the world to file it down to fit yours perfectly. Reblue w/ Birchwood Casey Superblue from your LGS...

Doc Safari
06-21-12, 12:51
I used the barrel mounted Colt side swivel on my standard M4 and I was satisfied with it. The only difference on that issue is that the light is a Streamlight (it was FREE, okay? :D), and I used a different handguard rail mount. The sling swivel doesn't pivot enough to interfere with the flashlight with that setup.

Really, it's somewhat about having some fun experimenting with different mounting options. I got my standard barrel M4 set up the way I want it, and now I'm trying to set up my pencil barrel M4 slightly differently and see which I like better.

Whatever I do today may not bear much resemblance to how the rifle is set up six months from now.

Like some famous person said, "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like."

:D

CobraBG
06-21-12, 13:07
I removed the factory side sling swivel on my Colt 6920 when I installed the MOE handguard. Take a look at impact Weapons Components www.impactweaponscomponents.com they make a kit to install a QD sling swivel at the rear of the MOE handguard. It is very low profile and a quality piece, very easy to install. I use it with the Vickers VCAS sling and am very happy with it. I'm also running a Mount-N-Slot from IWC for by Surefire Scout light. The sling is well rearward of the light mount and not in the way at all.

Doc Safari
06-25-12, 22:18
Well, I ended up moving the rail all the way to the rear on the MOE handguard, and attached this swivel (in the position shown):

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20701/sku=100-004-906/Product/MCTAR-08HDO-Heavy-Duty-QD-Adapter

I'm liking this setup. I can sling the rifle across my chest with the slider on the Vickers sling in the fully tightened position. The slider has to have some slack to it or it isn't long enough when the sling swivel is further forward.

With the sling swivel all the way at the rear 10 o'clock position on the MOE handguards, I can carry the gun the way I want to, and everything is out of the way for my off hand to reach the flashlight.

Noodles McGee
06-28-12, 08:09
I'm waiting on the same. In the meantime to put the sling mount farther to the receiver I drilled a small hole behind the slot and mounted a rail on the slot and hole. When I get my iwc mount I'm going to use the same hole.
I did the same to the rvg to move it to the end of the handguard

I removed the factory side sling swivel on my Colt 6920 when I installed the MOE handguard. Take a look at impact Weapons Components www.impactweaponscomponents.com they make a kit to install a QD sling swivel at the rear of the MOE handguard. It is very low profile and a quality piece, very easy to install. I use it with the Vickers VCAS sling and am very happy with it. I'm also running a Mount-N-Slot from IWC for by Surefire Scout light. The sling is well rearward of the light mount and not in the way at all.

copenhagen2001
06-29-12, 05:39

I'll second "I.W.C" mount-n-slot, I was using the Magpul sling, w/Magpul...can't remember the name of there handguard mounted option they have, but the I.W.C "M-n-S" w/a blue force gear sling was the ticket. I.W.C make excellent products.

HTC EVO 4 using TapaTalk