PDA

View Full Version : Mauser actions

bpd315
06-19-12, 18:26
I read here alot. Dont post much. However, i was wanting to know if anyone has a line on Mauser large ring actions? I checked midway and a few others online. The gunbroker route is a bit much in my opinion. Wanting to build a .243 on a surplus action.

Hoping someone has maybe someone has been down this road recently.

Any help appreciated.

Mike.

okie john
06-19-12, 23:14
Surplus Mausers are a good way to go ONLY if you can do most or all of the work yourself. At a minimum, they need to have the bolt handle bent to clear a scope or replaced with one that will, a low scope safety added, and then feed ramp and magazine rails have to be adjusted so it feeds reliably. Then you'll need some exterior polishing and rebluing so it looks decent.

Not many people can do this work well on a Mauser, so it could cost $5-600 if it's done properly. When you add a barrel, scope, and stock, it starts to add up. If you can't do that work on your own, then you're far better off going with a commercial action.

The main reason to pick a Mauser over a commercial action is if you want a classic British or European rifle built in the classic style.

Okie John

SOTIC1993
06-25-12, 05:28
I have built many mausers, for 243 you may need the spacer insert for it to feed good, I did that for my father with a piece of Teflon

MOA
07-03-12, 01:30
Whats the plan for the rifle? If its a long range rig I would go with something differnt. Not because the Mauser cant do it, but just the cost. I would also look into a commercial action like the remington mauser clone. If you are looking to do a high end hunting rig, or just a mauser hunting rifle go for it man. Nothing but maybe a winchester is more classic.
ETA: guns america has some pretty nice rifles for sale over there right now. Look at the Husqvarna rifles to.

gsxr-fan
07-03-12, 22:25
A custom built rifle is a prized possession anyone would be proud to own!

Assuming you find a suitable action for a reasonable price, thumbing through Brownell's catalog you'll get an idea on the approximate budget you'll need for the barrel, stock, trigger, sights, etc. Also, your local gunsmith will probably charge you by the hour so the cost of his labor needs to be factored in.

And should you decide to sell your custom rifle, you might not recoup your investment as one man's prized possession may not be another's.

A modern mauser to consider:

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-american/

Best of luck on your build!