PDA

View Full Version : Where to get high quality in spec roll pin punches?

flyer
01-18-08, 08:08
Does anyone know who makes the highest quality in spec roll pin punches for use on the AR (not Brownells, they are out of stock and not always in spec)?

rugerdawg
01-18-08, 09:46
Good luck I've been looking for the same for awhile and lowes, home depot, auto parts stores, sears hardware nor ace hardware have them. I ended up making my own from regular punches. I just chucked it up in a drill press and by using a sharp little file turning the tips down to what I needed. It worked out just fine.

Iraqgunz
01-18-08, 14:14
The Starrett punches that Brownells sells are very good and I have never had a problem with them. I use them at home and in my armory. I think that Snap-On has punches as well, but don't know for a fact.

Paladin4415
01-18-08, 18:27
S-K tools has a set.
http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/sk03201.html
Midway USA has a Lyman set.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=191653

Erick Gelhaus
01-18-08, 18:51
Special Armament Warehouse
www.sawlesales.com

stormblue
01-18-08, 20:52
I just ordered a 5/64" from Snap-on. I hear they make good stuff. ;)

Impact
01-18-08, 22:52
I use the brass set from brownells..very good quality and made in the usa..:D

Al U. 5811
01-19-08, 00:43
Starrett. You can order them from many mail order companies. Try J & L or Kendeco.

Robb Jensen
01-19-08, 06:18
I use the Brownells ones as well.

E53001
01-19-08, 13:19
snap on has great tools, if you break it, just find one of the trucks and they will replace it free, gotta love american made steel tools with a life time gaurantee :D

pearson
01-19-08, 17:47
The Starrett punches that Brownells sells are very good and I have never had a problem with them. I use them at home and in my armory. I think that Snap-On has punches as well, but don't know for a fact.

snap-on has some i just spent 95bucks on 9 of them

RD62
01-19-08, 19:13
Holy crap! $95 for 9 punches? Do they drive the pins for you while you sit back and drink a beer? Them must be some GOOOOODD punches. Enjoy!

I think I'll stick with the Brownell's for like $25.

-RD62

pearson
01-19-08, 19:33
Holy crap! $95 for 9 punches? Do they drive the pins for you while you sit back and drink a beer? Them must be some GOOOOODD punches. Enjoy!

I think I'll stick with the Brownell's for like $25.

-RD62

lol they are mainly for my job as a auto technician not just guns

RD62
01-20-08, 08:08
My brother works as an auto mechanic and has a lot of snap-on stuff as he says the others just don't hold up. I just can't see the punches being that different, but then I rarely work on my car and only hobby tinker with guns, so I guess I probably wouldn't. Enjoy those punches!

-RD62

dubb-1
01-20-08, 10:38
Have you tried our AR tools?

Robb Jensen
01-20-08, 11:38
The ADCO punches are nice. I especially like the gas tube roll pin punches.

Rmplstlskn
01-21-08, 19:33
I just bought a set of 8 Starrett punches in the "old school" wood container on eBay for $45... Not the best, but darn good stuff!

You can never go wrong buying QUALITY TOOLS, especially IMPACT tools like punches...

The cheaper set I bought from Brownell's did OK until you start using the smaller punches. That is where the quality steel and hardening come into play...

Rmpl

pearson
01-21-08, 20:03
Starrett has some great stuff.

Bob Reed
01-22-08, 12:54
Hello:

I like Mayhew Tools Roll Pin Punches the best.

You'll find'em here, about half way down the page.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=2291&PARTPG=GSDRVSM&PMT4NO=36357455&PMITEM=06522999&PMCTLG=00&PMT4TP=*LTIP

Joe Mamma
01-22-08, 13:23
The cheaper set I bought from Brownell's did OK until you start using the smaller punches. That is where the quality steel and hardening come into play...

Rmpl

That's the damn truth.

I own punches (but not all roll pin punches) from Snap-On, Lyman, Mayhew, Starrett, Craftsman, Brownells, and maybe some others. The best are Starrett. That's hard for me to say because I'm a huge Snap-On fan. Coming in a close second would be Snap-on. In my opinion, nothing else is close to these two in quality. Don't get me wrong, you can get away with cheapies but, if you want the best go with one of these two.

I don't like Mayhew because the very noticable machine marks that go around the shaft (of everyone that I've seen) can easily scratch or mar the piece you're working on as you are tapping the punch through a hole.

My Lyman roll pin punches came in a 4 pack (Lyman product #7031277) and might be the best $12 I ever spent.

I've used Proto too and they are very good. Craftsman punches sort of suck but, they are cheap and easy to get.

Joe Mamma

Edward Hogan
01-25-08, 00:51
If you have a Real-Hardware store or Industrial supply house near you, stop in and see if they carry Mayhew tools. Maybe even a ranch supply or Tractor Supply. Very nice and fairly affordable.

Decent prices on Ebay sometimes for Starrett tools. FWIW