PDA

View Full Version : Inforce WML and Streamlight TLR-1s

Dot.Com
06-20-12, 01:13
I am looking for a weapon light for an upcoming build, and with my desired price point have narrowed it down to the Inforce wml (momentary switch version) or the streamlight tlr-1s

I had initially desired the streamlight as it seemed like an affordable x300, which seems to be a standard light to run, but upon discovering the inforce wml I think that its ergonomics may be more useful for running on a rifle.

I have done my searching, and I have done my reading, and I already have a decent grasp of each light's respective "on paper" and anecdotal stats. What I am looking for specifically is input and comparisons between the two lights from owners of both, or at the very least those who have used both.

To clarify what aspects concern me:
- This is purely a rifle mounted light, I recognize the TLR-1 will allow me to run it on pistol hosts, that does not concern me at all as this light will be 100% used on the rifle. As such, ergos and use on a rifle platform are what interest me.
- While this is a rifle light, my light usage is for purely indoor or short range work. I don't think the lumen difference will matter much in this regard, but information as to whether backsplash or user blindness is an issue would be appreciated.
- The rifle will be a 16" mid-length with an AAC 51t flash hider as the MD, and the light will be run on MOE hand guards mounted most likely on a spare moe illumination kit I have. I say this to give you an idea of how far the mounted light will be from the tip of the barrel. With each light's respective beam do you think there will be an issue with shadow?

I appreciate any insight owners of both lights may afford me.

Thanks in advance.

TahoeLT
06-20-12, 10:04
I have only passing familiarity with the Streamlight, but I've been running a WML lately to see what it offers. I will say that the big draw for me with the Inforce was that it offers both visible and IR; if you don't have any use for the IR feature, that may actually be a negative (because there are no upgrade/replacement heads currently available).

I'm running it on a 7" Larue handguard, so there's not a lot of room to start with; but this light does take up a significant length of that (compared with an X300, which should be similar to the Streamlight--still shorter than a M951!). Running it all the way forward still puts my support hand back far enough to touch the magwell. However, it's low profile and streamlined, so it doesn't snag on things. I like the switch position, but the shape takes a little getting used to; if it were less sloped it would probably be easier to use.

Given the short handguard, I do get a significant shadow from a 14.5" barrel, but it's the same as with an X300 (and so probably on par with the TLR-1). I'm happy with the brightness for indoor work--less blinding to me with wall reflection, still bright enough for close-mid distance.

The plastic construction is my big hesitation, but it doesn't feel particularly flimsy, and many weapon lights have at least some plastic.

Hope that helps.

TehLlama
06-20-12, 13:26
The real strong suit of the Inforce WML seems to be the White/IR in momentary only - not to say the white light only is bad, but you can get essentially identical performance, and better durability with a SF/VTAC 3V L4 unit and a VLTOR, GearSector, 03DG, or similar mount, or go with the tried and affordable SF G2 on the above or VTAC mount.

If you want the ambi capability, the X300 is unbeatable. I'm down to owning only one TLR-1S and 6 X300's, and only still have the SL because my wife's STI GP6 won't take X300's. The X300's live on both rifles and pistols, and despite the price are worth it as exceptional values.

Dot.Com
06-20-12, 21:57
Tahoe LT,

Thanks for your input about the WML, I am assuming you were running an x300 before switching over correct? How would you say the ease of operation compares to the x300 like switching on/off and accessing the button, or is the difference negligible? Also, where do you mount your WML (o'clock)?

Thanks for the shadow information, I suspect with the mid-length it shouldn't be as bad but it's good to know regardless.

I know you said you have been running it lately, but how long exactly is that and have you noticed any type of degradation regarding construction or illumination?

-----

TehLlama,

I appreciate your advice as to other light options, but while I'm sure all of those lights are great they are also quite a bit more expensive and I already have the mount available to me for a rail attached light. I understand that many believe it is better to save for higher end items like a weapon light, but I'm also a firm believer in having a light is better than not having a light, and if a light is going to cost me much more than these two options....there will be no light. Additionally, I'm no warrior or gunfighter nor does my life depend daily on a light that will have to survive an explosion and keep working - I'm more looking for a light that will, well, light - and do so while being lightweight and small.

You did mention better durability though, and this does have me interested in a clarification. Having actually used Inforce WML's, how many have broken or failed on you, and after how long?

Additionally, it was to my understanding that the x300 and the TLR-1 operate in a similar manner with similar switches, how is the x300 better than the TLR in ambidextrous capability?

If you wouldn't mind, as it would help me out a lot, why do you prefer the x300's over the TLR?

TahoeLT
06-21-12, 08:47
Glad you clarified what this would be for--if this was for a work gun, it would be different. And as I said, if you are going for white light only, this may not be your light. I've run M951s, X200/X300s, Scouts and 6Ps as weaponlights (and tried out a handful of others); frankly if you want an inexpensive option (inexpensive being the key) for a HD gun or for classes, a 6P or similar is not a bad way to go either.

I've been running this WML at 9 o'clock for a few months. Frankly I could take or leave the high/low and strobe options on the WML, but the momentary/constant option is definitely a plus, and easier than the X-series. I don't really like the toggle/press switch on those.

This is a (much) cheaper, lighter alternative to a 620V; likely not as durable, not quite as user-friendly, and of course not a Surefire, but not bad.

Dot.Com
06-21-12, 12:10
Tahoe LT,

Thanks for clearing that up, I will probably end up going with the TLR-1s as they are within a dollar of each other in price.

I also have no use for the high low, and was looking at the WML that does not have the multifunction, only the white light/momentary switch.

I had considered going the 6p or even cheaper g2 route, but in reality having to buy a mounting solution for either would have set me back more than a rail mounted option.

Thanks again for your input.

TehLlama
06-21-12, 14:43
Tahoe LT,

You did mention better durability though, and this does have me interested in a clarification. Having actually used Inforce WML's, how many have broken or failed on you, and after how long?

Additionally, it was to my understanding that the x300 and the TLR-1 operate in a similar manner with similar switches, how is the x300 better than the TLR in ambidextrous capability?

If you wouldn't mind, as it would help me out a lot, why do you prefer the x300's over the TLR?

If lightweight and small are a priority at all, the WML is actually going to be the best option (until SF starts selling a G1 3V nitrolon light, which could go with a VTAC Light mount). As for cost, a G2/VTAC pairing is still extremely cheap, cheaper than the Inforce, but not gaining much in terms of performance.

As fas as the mounting interface for the Inforce, a knock in the right spot will probably tweak that grub screw enough to break it - well designed, it still should hold fairly well, but a plastic design of that type isn't going to be in the same range of durable as a scout light made of aluminium.

In regards to the TLR-1 v x300 debate, there's a great thread here on it, but for me it comes down to a better mounting interface on the X300, the momentary push on either side feature (making it a truly carbine capable light when used in front of a DD Fixed front sight), and the lack of extraneous features (As found in the SL 1-S version) is another plus. Battery life is another small nod to the X300, since raw lumen output matters less on an application where a pistol light sized unit is used anyway.

Dot.Com
06-21-12, 20:56
TehLlama,

Like you say, the G2/mount combo does little in gaining in edge in performance and was one of the reasons it was discounted in my search.

I myself am a little hesitant when it comes to plastic construction, but I wasn't going to discount it right off the bat as polymer technology has traveled leaps and bounds in durability and use. Hearing your take, however, has reinforced my decision to roll with the streamlight.

I have read the thread regarding the TLR-1 v x300, I was interested purely in your take and I appreciate your thoughts. I do plan on going the route of the TLR-1s, but to my understanding I can program the strobe out if I desire and I like potentially having that feature there if nothing more than a locating strobe (This is for other reasons than combat, like I said, I'm no warrior).

Thanks for your help.

Steve S.
06-22-12, 13:47
I don't think either choice is a good one. The X300 is coming down quite a bit in price, and though the TLR1 is a nice light, the X300 is much more suited to long guns.

If you are mounting it on an MOE handguard (what size handguard, what barrel length?) then I think a G2 or 6P is the better choice. Put it in something like a Gear Sector mount and float it as far forward as possible. You will get a lot less shadowing. The tailcap is a lot easier to use in my opinion as well vs. the WML options (X300 included).

For me, a WML is a good option when mounted at 12 oclock (since it's all that will work there) or a few ounces MUST be shaved. Otherwise, I prefer a standalone light in a good mount. If you're a righty, mounting at 1 oclock doesn't put you at much of a disadvantage in regards to shadowing and contact with barriers.

Dot.Com
06-23-12, 01:26
Steve S,

Why do you say the x300 is better suited to long guns? Is this purely because of the switch ergo's? Recoil tolerance?

It will be mounted on a mid-length handguard, and the rifle has a 16" barrel with an AAC blackout 51t as I mentioned in the OP. Essentially an 18" barrel to the tip.

I actually have a G2 that I carry sometimes as an any-job light, and I have mocked it up where I would like to mount it and honestly I just don't prefer how it feels up there.

Also because of this (me owning a G2 already), I am looking for a new relatively low cost small light platform to try out. I did not mention this fact in earlier posts mostly because I wanted the thread to stay within the confines of discussing the WML versus the TLR-1s. Too often in the pursuit of research both here and on other boards have I read threads regarding a specific subject only to find little comment on the actual subject at hand. In the case of light threads, I have to wade through about 5 pages worth of posts recommending other lights, before I find a post that actually touches on whatever light the OP was looking for input on.

By no means am I saying you or any other poster in this thread are guilty of that, and I greatly appreciate your input and opinions on the WML type lights versus mounted handhelds.

I understand the capability and practicality that the lights I already own can operate to for my own uses. It is for the lights I do not own, but others do, that I ask questions of.

Aside from that little diatribe, I appreciate your thoughts on the matter and will factor it into my decision making process.

------

On another note, I really like your holsters, and I may be placing an order for one soon.