PDA

View Full Version : Walk me through this please

themighty9mm
06-20-12, 01:31
I am wanting to buy a colt factory 14.5 barrel or assembly. I have a colt 16 inch barrel assembly currently on the gun. I am wanting to have the 14.5 permanently attatched. I am wanting adco to do the work. I will have to find a new colt 14.5 inch barrel first, as I dont simply want them to cut the old one. So what exactly do I need adco to do? They have alot of options of things they do. Do I just need them to pin the 14.5 and reinstall it? Or will they be soldering and I will also need them to refinish the barrel? I will also need to pick up an extended A2 hider to have pinned. Now I just need to know exactly what work I need to request.

Note: I have considered this before and many suggest just to stick with the 16. I understand that. However I have absolutly no intention of changing handguards from the KAC I have. Nor do I see any need for me to have any other muzzle device other than an A2, orn this case a extended A2. I see nothing but up sides to this with few down sides. Shorter overall package, ever so slightly lighter weight. Less harsh on the internals (not that it means much) and IMO looks better

GeorgiaBoy
06-20-12, 01:38
http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_.cfm?code=25

First option, and you can select to perm attach an extended A2 FH (just make sure to specify you want it extended in the comments section at checkout)

You send them the 14.5 barrel, they pin it with an extended FH, and your good to go..

Captain D
06-20-12, 02:23
Why waste the cash and time...the extra inch and a half just gives you a slight advantage in increase in velocity/accurcey anyway..................and no real difference in CCB.........

dhena81
06-20-12, 02:28
To each his own and nothing wrong with an A2. But have you completely ruled out anything other than an extended A2. I just think if you want better flash suppression you could go with another choice like a AAC blackout or a surefire FH556. If you want basically the same flash suppression as an A2 with some concussion and better control you could go with a PWS FSC556 or a battlecomp 1.5.

BTW to answer some of your questions you won't have to refinish the barrel. ADCO will pin and weld it and it with a visible weld underneath your MD and you won't be able to remove the MD without it being destroyed. The way I understand the process is they time the MD drill through the MD and part of the barrel drop a pin between the two and seal the pin with a weld.

badness
06-20-12, 02:56
Why waste the cash and time...the extra inch and a half just gives you a slight advantage in increase in velocity/accurcey anyway..................and no real difference in CCB.........

why ask this ridiculous question after he's clearly stated that he understands the pros/cons of 16" vs 14.5".

OP, all you need to purchase from adco is the pin/weld service. The pin/weld process does not require the barrel to be refinished. All they do is drill a hole through my muzzle device, drive a pin in there and then weld the pin to the muzzle device. Clean and simple.

When shipping your gear to them, be sure to include the barrel, gas block, muzzle device and BARREL NUT. If you buy a stand alone barrel, it will most likely not come with a barrel nut. Once the pin/weld process is done, you can't take the gas block off to slip on a barrel nut, so be sure to include one when you ship it or it will just delay the process.

Personally, i'd purchase a barrel that comes with a gas block already.

MistWolf
06-20-12, 05:47
Contact Adco to discuss with them what would be the best way to get what you want and what you'll need to send them. There is no reason to not have them cut your barrel down unless it's worn out

ViperRy
06-20-12, 10:13
He said he didn't want the 16" cut down (I don't know why). If it doesn't HAVE to be a colt barrel, get a DD 14.5 from Adco and have a them perm attach whatever muzzle device you please as long as it clears 16". DD barrels are excellent and it will save you the trouble of having to ship them a barrel. I would also suggest moving to mid length gas while you're at it.

LtNovakUSA
06-20-12, 15:29
He said he didn't want the 16" cut down (I don't know why). If it doesn't HAVE to be a colt barrel, get a DD 14.5 from Adco and have a them perm attach whatever muzzle device you please as long as it clears 16". DD barrels are excellent and it will save you the trouble of having to ship them a barrel. I would also suggest moving to mid length gas while you're at it.

+1 on going with the mid length gas system. It really is a noticeable difference

Iraqgunz
06-21-12, 23:28
To the OP. Something to consider. IIRC the gas port size on a 16" and 14.5" are the same. If you already have the 16" barrel, then your SMARTEST option is to send it to ADCO, tell them to cut the barrel down the 14.5" and then permanently install the flash hider.

Shortening the barrel will not be "less harsh on the internals".

They will know what this means and they will do it. Personally I think you are wasting money that could be better put towards ammo, optics, some training, etc....

3 AE
06-22-12, 16:15
I would stick with the decision made in post #17 of this thread, but that's just me!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=91200

skullworks
06-22-12, 18:19
I'm curious as to why you don't want to save some money and just cut down your existing barrel?

I'm with Iraqgunz on this one.

badness
06-22-12, 18:32
seeing how everyone seems to be throwing their opinions around instead of answering his question, i guess i'll do the same.

All of these people are trying to convince you to either keep it the way it is or to cut your current barrel down to 14.5" since 14.5" is apparently is what you want. However here's another option. Since you want to keep the 16" barrel, i would assume that's because you want to use it for a future build. So instead of going through all the troubles of buying a new barrel and then changing everything out, why don't you just keep the 16" rifle you have now the way it is and just start on a 14.5" build? :meeting:

MistWolf
06-22-12, 19:04
"Hello. I'd like to spend $400 on a 14.5" barrel plus another $50 for labor and another $50 for shipping both ways, to replace a 16" barrel that would cost $100 to have cut and an A2 pinned plus $50 for shipping both ways and have the same thing"

Not trying to be snarky and maybe the numbers are a bit off, but that's what Opie's
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_E9NPoeLuzC4/SwmYsRZU13I/AAAAAAAABfY/RtzF3RHKfaE/s1600/opie4.jpg
question boils down to. It's difficult to bite your tongue and simply answer a question that makes you go "Wait- WHAT?!?"

themighty9mm
06-22-12, 20:25
I would stick with the decision made in post #17 of this thread, but that's just me!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=91200

Maybe I changed my mind? And why are you looking into my history over a simple question? I diddnt cuss your mother, it wasnt offensive, wasnt obnoxious either IMO. I understand its public info and you are free to do as you please. Just seems odd

themighty9mm
06-22-12, 20:27
"Hello. I'd like to spend $400 on a 14.5" barrel plus another $50 for labor and another $50 for shipping both ways, to replace a 16" barrel that would cost $100 to have cut and an A2 pinned plus $50 for shipping both ways and have the same thing"

Not trying to be snarky and maybe the numbers are a bit off, but that's what Opie's
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_E9NPoeLuzC4/SwmYsRZU13I/AAAAAAAABfY/RtzF3RHKfaE/s1600/opie4.jpg
question boils down to. It's difficult to bite your tongue and simply answer a question that makes you go "Wait- WHAT?!?"

You answer my question, then you mock me? Why not just pick on and go with it? Seems like it would save us both some effort

themighty9mm
06-22-12, 20:33
seeing how everyone seems to be throwing their opinions around instead of answering his question, i guess i'll do the same.

All of these people are trying to convince you to either keep it the way it is or to cut your current barrel down to 14.5" since 14.5" is apparently is what you want. However here's another option. Since you want to keep the 16" barrel, i would assume that's because you want to use it for a future build. So instead of going through all the troubles of buying a new barrel and then changing everything out, why don't you just keep the 16" rifle you have now the way it is and just start on a 14.5" build? :meeting:

That is a thought. I currently have 2 I am slowly working on. One near done to my liking. I'm not exactly sure why I want to keep the barrel other than the very simple answer of, because. Build down the road maybe? Gift for a friend with a 1x9 barrel, wanting 1x7? Either way doesnt seem like the worst thing to have an extra of. I had talked of cutting it before. I know its simple and while it is more cost effective to do so, figured it would be more simple to use a completly new assembly, not sure why I figured it that way. But I did

themighty9mm
06-22-12, 20:39
To the OP. Something to consider. IIRC the gas port size on a 16" and 14.5" are the same. If you already have the 16" barrel, then your SMARTEST option is to send it to ADCO, tell them to cut the barrel down the 14.5" and then permanently install the flash hider.

Shortening the barrel will not be "less harsh on the internals".

They will know what this means and they will do it. Personally I think you are wasting money that could be better put towards ammo, optics, some training, etc....

That may be the route I go. For whatever reason it just seemed more easy to go with a complete new assembly.

I know I think I have said the same and been corrected before. Maybe I should have said not as over gassed, potentially less felt recoil, maybe.

MistWolf
06-22-12, 22:50
You answer my question, then you mock me? Why not just pick on and go with it? Seems like it would save us both some effort

I apologize if my post seemed to mock you. I assure you it was not intended that way. I was answering the guy who wondered why advise was given instead of simply answering your question.

I tossed a picture of Opie (O.P.) in there because I am poking fun at folks who use OP (in this case, myself) instead of taking the effort to use the nick of the one who actually started the thread