PDA

View Full Version : Two hand grip

oboe
06-20-12, 10:38
Although I've been a shooter since the age of 10, I'm only recently a handgun shooter [last 2 years] for purposes of concealed carry and personal defense. I have two pistols - the M&P full size in 9mm and just recently the M&P Shield [also 9mm]. At an informal shoot, one of the instructors who also was a part of the meet up group watched me shoot and said I'd shoot better using the "thumbs forward" two-handed grip rather than the "thumb-on-thumb" grip that I've been using [she called it the "revolver grip"]. That's the second time a professional has volunteered that info.

I'm not at all comfortable with thumbs forward, which I've tried before, and it's a slower way for me to get a two-handed grip from holster to presentation. Is the thumbs forward grip really all that much better?

Failure2Stop
06-20-12, 10:40
Yes

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bluedreaux
06-20-12, 10:48
Yes, if it's done correctly. There's more to a good grip than having both thumbs pointed down range. Unfortunately, "both thumbs forward" is as much help as a lot of folks ever get.

I'll try to take some pics later and post them.

warpedcamshaft
06-20-12, 10:53
Although I've been a shooter since the age of 10, I'm only recently a handgun shooter [last 2 years] for purposes of concealed carry and personal defense. I have two pistols - the M&P full size in 9mm and just recently the M&P Shield [also 9mm]. At an informal shoot, one of the instructors who also was a part of the meet up group watched me shoot and said I'd shoot better using the "thumbs forward" two-handed grip rather than the "thumb-on-thumb" grip that I've been using [she called it the "revolver grip"]. That's the second time a professional has volunteered that info.

I'm not at all comfortable with thumbs forward, which I've tried before, and it's a slower way for me to get a two-handed grip from holster to presentation. Is the thumbs forward grip really all that much better?

As an individual who transitioned from revolvers to automatics and from a "revolver grip" to a thumbs forward... I personally am convinced that the thumbs forward grip is superior for shooting automatics once you are re-conditioned to use it.

During the transition, I practiced draws and presentations an hour every night on a timer for about 2 weeks and shot several times a week. Once I was re-trained, I noticed recoil absorption was easier and my split times decreased greatly.

However, I was not convinced until AFTER I made the transition fully.

polymorpheous
06-20-12, 11:42
A member here by the name of Surf has a good YouTube video on the modern combat pistol grip.
Perhaps he will chime in on this thread with his input.

Surf
06-20-12, 12:17
The modern combat or thumbs forward grip is IMO currently the best grip to use on a pistol. I am not saying that other grips cannot be successful but the modern combat or thumbs forward is a superior grip. I started shooting revolvers at a young age and in my early formal years of training and working professionally I carried a revolver for a few years and had a classic locked thumb or revolver style grip. Even with a revolver style grip on a pistol I was considered to be a highly proficient shooter and always in the top shooter categories in my peer groups. When I first learned the modern combat or thumbs forward grip my shooting proficiency actually decreased due to the change and it was frustrating. I stuck with it and it took a good week long advanced level pistol course to hammer my old revolver grip out of me and truly adopt this new type of grip. However once I gained high levels of proficiency with this grip it became more natural than the revolver grip and my skills kick started and I progressed rapidly from this point.

I feel so strongly about the grip I did a 3 part video series on the grip itself.

Part 1 is the history of the revolver grip and how I saw that it adapted to the pistol.
Part 1 - History of revolver grip and the pistol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTc5OG0AI64)

Part 2 talks about the mechanics, physics and what actually happens during the recoil phase of the pistol and why your grip is so important.
Part 2 - What happens during recoil and why is the grip so important. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRcxgAEn7zU)

Part 3 discusses how to establish a good modern combat / thumbs forward grip.
Part 3 - How to establish a good modern combat or thumbs forward grip. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdDFA9EtFc4)

okie john
06-20-12, 14:03
The modern combat or thumbs forward grip is IMO currently the best grip to use on a pistol.

This.

I shot Weaver/thumb-over-thumb for decades, and switched to the modern Isosceles about 2 years ago. Switching took a pretty serious train-up, but was worth it.

Okie John

glocktogo
06-21-12, 00:01
I'd shot thumb over thumb for so long, it took me a couple of years to fully transition to thumbs forward. All I can say is that if you're doing it right, it doesn't feel comfortable. That lack of comfort comes from the application of isometric tension to the pistol. It's that isometric tension that aids in control of the gun and it's recoil.

Since completing the transition, my rankings at major pistol matches has improved significantly. I'd highly recommend getting some professional instruction on its application before ingraining fully to a less efficient method. After the training, seek out a partner to train with so that you can observe and coach each other.

Alaskapopo
06-21-12, 00:45

Thumbs forward is the way to go. Competition and tactical shooters all use it. Its far easier to get it into position on the draw as your hands just got right to where they should. The thumb over thumb revolver grip is not good at all and you won't see any serious good shooters using it.
pat

Gary1911A1
06-21-12, 12:42
This.

I shot Weaver/thumb-over-thumb for decades, and switched to the modern Isosceles about 2 years ago. Switching took a pretty serious train-up, but was worth it.

Okie John

Agree and would like to add the thumbs forward grip and Isosceles just go together.

ImBroke
06-21-12, 12:59
If you have to fire one handed, what do you do with your strong hand thumb?

Killjoy
06-22-12, 21:04
My thumb curls down during one handed fire.

As an old "Weaver Thumb" shooter, I was introduced to the thumbs forward hold during some coaching at an FBI class about six years ago. It was like the missing piece to the puzzle which combined with some improved trigger manipulation greatly improved my handgun skills. I was trained in isosceles stance and hold during my police academy training, but my grip remained pure weaver.

Can people shoot effectively with the thumbs crossed method; yes. But I think it holds most shooters back from really improving their handgun skills.

kcmo83
06-23-12, 07:45
If you have to fire one handed, what do you do with your strong hand thumb?

See this post (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1332146#post1332146) by Pat McNamara in the SME section.

ptmccain
06-23-12, 07:46
The modern combat or thumbs forward grip is IMO currently the best grip to use on a pistol. I am not saying that other grips cannot be successful but the modern combat or thumbs forward is a superior grip. I started shooting revolvers at a young age and in my early formal years of training and working professionally I carried a revolver for a few years and had a classic locked thumb or revolver style grip. Even with a revolver style grip on a pistol I was considered to be a highly proficient shooter and always in the top shooter categories in my peer groups. When I first learned the modern combat or thumbs forward grip my shooting proficiency actually decreased due to the change and it was frustrating. I stuck with it and it took a good week long advanced level pistol course to hammer my old revolver grip out of me and truly adopt this new type of grip. However once I gained high levels of proficiency with this grip it became more natural than the revolver grip and my skills kick started and I progressed rapidly from this point.

I feel so strongly about the grip I did a 3 part video series on the grip itself.

Part 1 is the history of the revolver grip and how I saw that it adapted to the pistol.
Part 1 - History of revolver grip and the pistol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTc5OG0AI64)

Part 2 talks about the mechanics, physics and what actually happens during the recoil phase of the pistol and why your grip is so important.
Part 2 - What happens during recoil and why is the grip so important. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRcxgAEn7zU)

Part 3 discusses how to establish a good modern combat / thumbs forward grip.
Part 3 - How to establish a good modern combat or thumbs forward grip. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdDFA9EtFc4)

Bookmarked and thank you, sir.