View Full Version : Feasibility of a Troy rear Battlesight + KAC micro front sight combo

Burnit7
06-20-12, 11:45
While contemplating sights to buy for my AR, this combination of sights seemed like a great one to me. While I initially had the full front and rear Troy folding battle sights set in mind, I was issued store credit for an order, but I don't really have anything else I need to purchase from that store.

I already have a rear troy sight I got for a great deal on the EE, which left me thinking on what to do with the front sight. I like the rear due to the included large aperture which the KAC does not include.

What intrigues me about the KAC micro front sight is the fact that it:
1) has tool-less elevation adjustment while also not being in a place easy to inadvertently change.

and most importantly,
2) From what I understand, the sight folds down if I were to accidentally hit it or drop it from the front.

As I imagine the front to be more likely to hit pavement or an obstacle than the rear, I feel this requirement is only needed for the front sight. The fact that I would have to hold down a button on the troy seems to me a liability as it would be exposed to the full brunt of the impact force and thus break much more easily.

Thus, here are my questions:
Does anybody have any experience with this combination of sights? I tried searching, but only found a thread concerning the opposite case, a KAC rear with a Troy front.

Would the sights be able to line up and be work well in the first place?

Are there any reasons that this mix up would not be a good idea? Cost is not a factor since I have to use up my store credit anyways.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :help:

kdcgrohl
06-20-12, 11:48
That combo should work fine.

kwelz
06-20-12, 11:50
The tool less adjustment is nice but honestly how often are you going to adjust the elevation? Once you zero them you shouldn't have to touch it.

I also prefer sights that lock up. More than that unless I am running magnified optics I prefer fixed BUIS.

Burnit7
06-20-12, 12:20
The tool less adjustment is nice but honestly how often are you going to adjust the elevation? Once you zero them you shouldn't have to touch it.

I also prefer sights that lock up. More than that unless I am running magnified optics I prefer fixed BUIS.

Great point. I honestly just threw that in because I saw a video of someone mentioning it. I was more concerned about durability.

Lock up sights was a concern of mine too, and that was why I went with Troy for the rear sight. I was just concerned with the front sight shearing off or so in case of impact - unless I'm completing over-worrying about the realistic possibility of this happening.

On a side note, I also heard that the aperture of the front sight is different from a regular A2. Should this be a major factor in my decision making?

wahoo95
06-20-12, 12:43
Nothing wrong with the Troy..solid sight. I wouldn't worry bout breaking it.

The front sight doesn't have an aperture ..just a sight post.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mkmckinley
06-20-12, 12:46
I use a KAC flip up front sight on one of my carbines and I just have it zip tied in the upo position. I did it once as a quick fix but I've come to actually like the solution a lot. The sight stays up but if bumped it has enough give to avoid being damaged. The zip tie functions as sort of a rubber band and is easy to inspect. I haven't had to replace it yet even after heavy use.

kwelz
06-20-12, 13:08
If your front sight sheers off you are going to have MUCH bigger issues to worry about. Lol.

HKBanger
06-21-12, 07:30
Both great sights and they will work great together.. I love my KAC Micro! :D