PDA

View Full Version : Practical Applications of the NDS-32 Upper

MountainRaven
06-20-12, 20:15
Seriously toying with the idea of building a vintage or 'retro' style AR. As I prefer all of my firearms to be fighting arms, first and foremost....

What are the relative merits and demerits of the NDS-32 upper receiver with the charging handle located under the carry handle? I have never used a weapon system with a charging handle located at the top of the receiver and protected by a 'carry handle', so I can only guess.

I would imagine that the ability to charge the weapon from the shoulder would be a strength of the design. I understand that an ACOG or other optical sight cannot be attached to the NDS-32 upper, while the more 'modern' uppers ('M16', 'M16A1', 'C7') do allow this. I also understand that the design was abandoned due to excessive heat accumulating on the charging handle (I cannot imagine that it's any worse than an Ultimak gas tube) and problems with the then issue arctic gloves. Finally, the M16/A1/C7 uppers allow for a commonality of training with the much, much, much more common AR-15s on the market, with the A1 and C7 uppers holding a slight, possible edge over the 'M16' upper due to the forward assist.

Particularly for those who have owned one or used one, what is your opinion of the design? Is it just a novelty or is it perfectly viable for a defensive carbine?

(I should note: This weapon is not and will hopefully never go to Afghanistan. It will be a back-up/parts-donor AR, as well as an iron-sighted plinker/training gun.)

Thanks!

fowler
06-26-12, 18:31
They failed for a US contact ,because they got to hot to handle and were slow to use. Not a good idea. All the hot gas's from the tube blow into this area and the Operating charge handle. OUCH!

MistWolf
06-26-12, 19:19
That's interesting because the BCG of my carbine hardly gets warm at all

fowler
06-26-12, 19:48
It would take 200-400 rds full auto to get it red hot back to back. It was the US Goverments test not mine. Semi your fine.

pezboy
07-09-12, 10:05
You cannot charge the weapon while it is shouldered with a trigger charging handle upper. The charging handle still exits the rear of the upper like a standard upper, it just doesn't have the handle on the rear.

I have one and it is pretty akward charging it compared to a standard AR. Maybe some peoples hands are different than others but it doesn't seem to be very ergonomic for me.

I am going to be purchasing a new trigger charging handle upper from Nodak Spud and am looking to sell my lightly used one if you are interested.

Dustin

Todd00000
07-11-12, 11:23
Practicalities aside, are there parts out there to do this?

jtb0311
07-20-12, 21:06
Practicalities aside, are there parts out there to do this?

Nodak Spud offers the uppers.

I think most people only do this for historical interest. There's a reason Colt went to the current charging system 50+ years ago.

torquemada055
09-28-12, 01:01
The reason's for the change were already stated. The trigger chrging handle get's hot, the escaping gases will not heat up your BCG but they will heat up that aluminum charging handle.
I know because I tried that pull the trigger as fast as you can for 3 30round mags test.
Not to mention that there is gas escaping fromt he open areas around the charging handle.

The lack of forward assist was also a factor in the test phase.

It is all nicely explained in The Black Rifle, about 2/3's of the way through the book it gives the Army's explanation of why it wanted changes.
Not being able to get your finger in to operated the charging handle in artic conditions wearing gloves was another reason.

I have mine on a carbine just for an item of interest and to be different when I take it out. Then again it also has carbine length triangle handguards on it and a Type D buttstock for comfort.