PDA

View Full Version : DOUBLESTAR LPK

ROUTEMICHIGAN
06-20-12, 22:28
I recently purchased a JD Machine lower, a reputable and well-regarded company in the PRK based in San Diego, and the LPK they offered on their site was from Doublestar. I didn't think twice about it since I assumed JD offers only good stuff and ordered it along with my lower. Not ever hearing about Doublestar, I did a search here and quickly learned that this brand name has a certain "reputation" with the folks on this forum. Since I couldn't find any comments specifically related to their LPKs my question: is the LPK made by Doublestar inferior to the parts in my DD and BCM lowers? Opened it up and the parts look exactly like the stuff in my DD and BCM lowers- and the packaging says it's made in Kentucky (which can't be all bad if it's made by Southerners!). Does it matter--is there a significant difference in quality-- should I return it? If the DS LPK is inferior, what is a good LPK? I honestly have no clue when it comes to LPKs-- just assumed they were all the same. But I don't want to put crap into this build either. Thank you.

GeorgiaBoy
06-20-12, 22:31
Meh, I'd probably pass on it if this is a serious use gun you are making out of this lower. If its just for a plinker, and everything fit fine, I would probably use the DS LKP.

Good LPK's = DD, G&R Tactical LPK; STAG is decent.

a0cake
06-20-12, 22:32
Here's a great thread for LPK information...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=91218

As far as your particular question, DOUBLESTAR is not known for quality. Your individual LPK might be just fine, or it might not. There's really no way to say for sure as this is a QC/QA game and it could go either way. Buying a quality LPK stacks the game in your favor. I'd personally ditch it and follow the advice in the above thread. Hope this helps.

Col_Crocs
06-21-12, 03:43
I too would probably ditch it. If not, do a once over the important parts--fire control, selector, and bolt catch. Make sure theyre fully formed and without casting bubbles/pits. Install, function check and if it all feels fine, try it out.

HKBanger
06-21-12, 07:27
I'd only use a DoubleStar LPK as a spare/backup. Definitely not a quality company, as far as AR's go.

SomeOtherGuy
06-21-12, 08:17
I built a lower using a DoubleStar LPK purchased during the last shortage (c. late 2008) when nothing else was available. So far it has worked just fine. The FCG parts are square-S marked (LW Schneider) same as many top quality kits. All the little parts seemed to fit well. I haven't run any of the parts through an x-ray or had its chemistry analyzed, but the crappy LPKs I've used in the past, DPMS and Del-Ton, were really obvious since many small parts did not fit well.

Of course it's hard to go wrong with a G&R LPK when they're in stock.

I view DoubleStar as a hit-or-miss company where some parts are high quality and others are marginal (I view Stag the same way, and to some extent Armalite).

ac130usnsr
06-21-12, 08:32
I haven't used a DS LPK, but since you have it in hand and DD and G&R LPKs are hard to come by these days, I would at least try the DS LPK.

That is after carefully examining the FCG, bolt catch and selector switch. Make sure they are free of any visible defects. Then I would make sure everything fit the lower and operated correctly and smoothly. If everything checked out OK, start shooting.

Get a spare kit from DD or G&R when they are available, that way you have quality parts on hand if you ever need to replace any of the DS parts.

BTW, I like your username OP. I spent A LOT of time on several deployments in the vicinity of the RTE MICHIGAN/RTE MEMPHIS intersection. Good times.

fallenromeo
06-21-12, 09:42
They are average at best. I had a DS LPK when I got my JD lower. It did the job, but it wasn't high quality at all. I eventually replaced the parts that didn't fit very well, but I never had any malfunctions with it either. I say use it for now, replace it when you get the opportunity.

Tzook
06-21-12, 11:00
They are average at best. I had a DS LPK when I got my JD lower. It did the job, but it wasn't high quality at all. I eventually replaced the parts that didn't fit very well, but I never had any malfunctions with it either. I say use it for now, replace it when you get the opportunity.

I think this is pretty good advice. Being something (seemingly) simple like an LPK, it probably won't crunch into little bits in the middle of your next blazing fire fight with the cartels, but it would probably be wise to replace it with something a little smoother when the funds arise.

advntrjnky
06-22-12, 10:41
I don't buy LPKs anymore. I purchase the parts I want in quantity and have spares i keep organized in compartmentalized craft boxes for easy reference. I have had good luck using Brownells bulk small parts (springs, pins, etc.) then I buy colt bolt catches and the PG I want. a number of years ago (9 years) I bought a bunch of Armalite FCG (quality was nice back then)for basic use or get the quality aftermarket one I want. I will never buy a pre made LPK again. it is too easy to buy what you want and then have spares on hand. I have actually graded slightly. The local home improvement store had a small parts organizer that has three medium divided craft trays and two small. now I have ample space for all my AR spares.....Firing pins, misc. bolt parts, crush washers, peel washers, flash hiders, etc....

advntrjnky

ROUTEMICHIGAN
06-22-12, 13:41
I haven't used a DS LPK, but since you have it in hand and DD and G&R LPKs are hard to come by these days, I would at least try the DS LPK.

That is after carefully examining the FCG, bolt catch and selector switch. Make sure they are free of any visible defects. Then I would make sure everything fit the lower and operated correctly and smoothly. If everything checked out OK, start shooting.

Get a spare kit from DD or G&R when they are available, that way you have quality parts on hand if you ever need to replace any of the DS parts.

BTW, I like your username OP. I spent A LOT of time on several deployments in the vicinity of the RTE MICHIGAN/RTE MEMPHIS intersection. Good times.

Thanks for the advice and shout out-- yep, we definitely inhaled the same dust. Good times indeed.

3 AE
06-22-12, 15:40
Top ranked LPK by people in the know. Colt

http://www.specializedarmament.com/images/images/155SA.gif

You just have to cough up the coin.

http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/LOWER_REC_PARTS_KIT_COLT_0_155_SEMI-262-279.html

Kickin-Ewoks
06-22-12, 21:35
I'd only use a DoubleStar LPK as a spare/backup. Definitely not a quality company, as far as AR's go.

Why would you use it as a spare/backup? If you are running your rifle hard enough that you need a backup LPK, why would you use a shitty LPK for a backup?