PDA

View Full Version : PEQ-15 compatibility with Troy flip up front sight

ClearedHot
06-21-12, 22:54
Will the IR laser and IR illuminator on the PEQ-15 clear a Troy M4-style flip up front sight if the laser is mounted directly behind it?

crh428
06-22-12, 14:19
Shouldn't be an issue...

Whats stopping you from putting the PEQ on the side rail?

ClearedHot
06-22-12, 16:42
Whats stopping you from putting the PEQ on the side rail?

Top mounting of an offset aiming laser allows you to limit the laser's offset to the lateral range only, side mounting a similar laser would mean that you would have a vertical offset as well as a lateral offset. An in-line laser will avoid this.

Also, the top rail is the most protected location for the laser

crh428
06-22-12, 17:24
I've run lasers on my work guns for the last 15 years, I think you are overthinking this. You're going to have a vertical and lateral offset either way.

FWIW, I have always side mounted my laser, with the exception of the M249 before it has side rails. I have never broke a laser, and I have done anything you could think of to break one.

But if you want to put it on the top rail, I see no reason why the laser wouldn't reach around the sight.

Victor
06-22-12, 22:34
Will the IR laser and IR illuminator on the PEQ-15 clear a Troy M4-style flip up front sight if the laser is mounted directly behind it?

No issue.

ClearedHot
06-23-12, 00:08
No issue.

Roger that. Thanks for confirming.

JohnnyC
06-23-12, 00:14
With a PEQ-15 you will always have a vertical and a lateral offset because the laser is offset from the bore on two axis. So really, you have to compensate either way so it doesn't matter if it's on the side or the top rail. As long as its zero'd correctly and you know your holds it's sort of a moot point.

ClearedHot
06-23-12, 01:10
With a PEQ-15 you will always have a vertical and a lateral offset because the laser is offset from the bore on two axis. So really, you have to compensate either way so it doesn't matter if it's on the side or the top rail. As long as its zero'd correctly and you know your holds it's sort of a moot point.

Generally 12 o'clock is preferred for an offset aiming laser. The PEQ-15 offset was specifically designed for 12 o'clock mounting.

Another reason I prefer mounting the laser on the top rail is so that I can easily roll my support hand thumb over the top and activate the fire button.

JohnnyC
06-23-12, 23:36
Generally 12 o'clock is preferred for an offset aiming laser. The PEQ-15 offset was specifically designed for 12 o'clock mounting.

Another reason I prefer mounting the laser on the top rail is so that I can easily roll my support hand thumb over the top and activate the fire button.

I'm not saying that it was not designed that way or intended to be utilized mounted in that manner, just speaking about the fact that because a PEQ-15 is offset on both the horizontal and vertical axis, you are going to have to deal with both of those axis regardless of orientation.

So again, because you are already dealing with the laser diode offset from the bore in both axis, it really doesn't matter where you put it, as long as you are taking both offsets into account.

Hypothetical description, let's say that the diode is positioned 1" right of the bore, and 1" above the bore when top mounted. If the rail dimensions are equally spaced from the bore, mounting it on the left rail will simply position the diode 1" left of the bore, and 1" above the bore. If mounting on the right rail, it will be 1" below and 1" to the right of the bore. No matter where you place the laser, you have to deal with a 1" offset in two directions. It doesn't matter what orientation was intended when it was designed.

Top mounting a PEQ-15 simply means you are dealing with a right/up offset as opposed to a left/up or right/down offset. Put it where it's easiest for you to deal with those offsets and what works best for your given situation. Don't shoehorn yourself into what the designer intended if it works better for you elsewhere. There are way too many examples of lasers being used successfully in varying configurations throughout the military to quibble over laser placement. Put it where it works and if for some strange reason your Troy's get in the way fret not about moving your laser.