PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LC9 consensus?

HKBanger
06-22-12, 08:18
I did do a search and have read some threads from when the gun was first released. I know Ruger is not the best manufacturer around. I usually run HK's, Glock, classic Sig, and all that jazz. I have the opportunity to put a brand new Ruger LC9 on layaway for $300, over the course of (or up to) 9 months. That's like $30 a month. That's basically free in my eyes.

My intended purpose would be a backup to my primary 9mm weapon which is a Glock 19. It could also fill the role of bedside gun and/or backpacking.

Just wondering if Ruger has made any changes since they first released the LC9? I've read about a couple of the common issues such as the sights walking and what-not; that does not have me real concerned. I'm mainly concerned with reliability. I've owned other Rugers which were very reliable but I didn't shoot them past 1-2k rounds generally so I can't speak for their high volume shooting performance.

I do not plan to do a lot of high volume shooting through the gun but I'd still want it to be reliable enough for my purposes, obviously. So, this brings me to the question. Anyone have real hands on experience with one as of late? How about the early adopters from the old threads? Any issues? Still running fine?

I'm just looking for some more recent opinions since people have probably had them for a bit longer now. I understand it's not my usual HK, but..........

Beat Trash
06-22-12, 15:56
I'd save $30 per month for just another month or two and buy a S&W Shield.

kerplode
06-22-12, 17:06
I haven't fired mine a lot, but so far it's been functionally reliable. I'm not sure I'm going to keep it, though. The sights are a wreck, the trigger has a nasty false reset, and the safety is difficult to use. All of these are deal-breakers for me for use as a CCW.

I'd second the recommendation to pass.

Warg
06-22-12, 17:14
My assessment of the LC9 as of January 2012: http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1186222&postcount=23

I've since had the hammer fail (sear) and have replaced it with another from Ruger. I have zero desire to shoot this pistol any longer.

QuackXP
06-22-12, 19:56
The LC9 has to many legislated safety features for me. I would personally not buy a firearm with an internal lock. The LCI is also kind of obtrusive for my tastes. I also do not prefer manual safeties or magazine disconnects. There is just to much there to go wrong that has no benefit when there are alternatives.

Glock30
06-22-12, 21:22

I just got rid of my Ruger Lc9 and picked up a SpringField XDs 45acp

SWAT Lt.
06-23-12, 10:47
I'd pass, go a few more months like Beat Trash said and get the Shield. The LC9 operating system is different from the G19 and would require much practice to attain and maintain proficiency and I frankly didn't enjoy shooting the LC9. The Shield trigger is closer to the G19s than the DAO LC9.

After buying and shooting my Shield I sold my PM9, LC9, and my 3913. I have no regrets and, after about 1500 rounds, believe it is the best small 9mm out there. I assure you I would have no desire to run an LC9 or PM9 1500 rounds as i did not enjoy shooting them.

The Shield is fun to shoot (I shoot at least a box or two every time I go to the range no matter what I take to shoot that day), durable, accurate, and reliable. It is the olny small single stack 9mm I would now recommend.

Up1911fan
06-23-12, 11:42
I'd pass and go with a PM9/CM9/Sheild. Not sure about the reliablity as I haven't put many rounds through one ( I don't own one) but the trigger sucked on the two i've shot.

kmrtnsn
06-23-12, 12:29
Of the Ruger BUGs the stellar standout is the LCR. You should take a peek at the .357.

Up1911fan
06-23-12, 13:26
Of the Ruger BUGs the stellar standout is the LCR. You should take a peek at the .357.

Agreed! My favorite BUG.
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/up1911fan/Ruger%20LCR/kodak046.jpg

MegademiC
06-24-12, 00:55
Also gonna suggest a shield. I handled an lc9 and didnt car for it.

I recently got my GF a shield ($450 OTD btw) and had to spend a week convincing myself to give it up. It shoots almost as good as my g19-sized gun.

Bases upon company reputation, shootability, aftermarket support, and ergos I'll take the S&W.

HKBanger
06-24-12, 08:09
Yeah I think I'll likely save a bit more and get a more reliable BUG. The Shield and the LCR both seem like better options. I'm probably leaning more towards the Shield now as revolver ammo like .357 is too expensive.

kmrtnsn
06-24-12, 14:05
I run Speer Gold Dot .38 Special +P LE duty loads in my .357 340PD bug. No reason you couldn't do the same. Look at the specs for the 125 gr. Speer LE Gold Dots and compare it against their similar 9mm, it has a very potent punch. I would not hesitate to take a 2in snubby with that load into a close range gunfight, especially based on the proven reliability of the revolver platform.

Redbeardsong
06-24-12, 14:47

This.

I own an LC9 and have shot the Shield. The shield is a much nicer shooting gun: MUCH better trigger, more comfy, and easier to shoot accurately.

They're hard to find right now, but in six months it should be much easier.

RagweedZulu
06-24-12, 19:07
I've been running my LC9 for 11 months now with no probs whatsoever. The dang thing is so thin and light it has replaced the S&W 642 I carried as an on duty BUG for 12 years. More rounds, BETTER performing rounds, and easier to shoot.

No issues with sights or bad triggers. Yes, the trigger pull is less than great. It's very much like a revolver trigger, so I found it easy to train to. As far as the ridiculous manual safety, since the trigger is so heavy, I leave the safety DISengaged 100% of the time.

I've only fondled a Shield9, and they did feel nice, but I like my LC9 and find myself taking it for quick runs around town more often than my ever-present Glocks. To each their own I guess.

Fringe
06-24-12, 20:53
I echo a little what ragweedzulu wrote about it being lite and slim. I like this. Manual safety is always off. It is silly.

After I removed the mag safety, the trigger became smoother and it is less Liberalized.

My biggest gripe of the LC9 is the false reset. It is awful and could be a problem in a gun fight if someone has not trained for it.

Abraxas
06-24-12, 21:00

The trick is finding one, at least in my area.......

PA PATRIOT
06-25-12, 09:56
Have just a hair under 1000rds fired after a trip back to Ruger for lite firing pin hits and they paid the shipping both ways and turn around time was 10 days. The pistol has been perfect with Federal 147gr HST H/P and Winchester Nato 124gr FMJ since and its a easy gun to carry.

I paid $269.99 and picked up two spare magazines for $20.00 each with the deal.

WillBrink
04-10-15, 08:25
Shot one of these for the first time recently. I was surprised and impressed by this little gun. Ruger not exactly known for it's pistols. Very thin, light, easy enough to shoot. Can't speak to reliability, but for the $, seems a good option for a singe stack very small 9mm. I like FS guns to be sure, have been considering something like this for those rare times FS does not work, like when in the gym and such.

TomD
04-10-15, 08:36
I traded for a LC9sPro yesterday and took it straight to the range. Being striker fired, it was easy to shoot and, for me, accurate. I was able to maintain POA hits to 25 yards which was VERY difficult with my previous DAO pistol. Now I need a new holster and another one of their pricey magazines.