PDA

View Full Version : Leaning towards the Colt LE6920MP-OD green advice?

SHAWNthePATRIOT
06-22-12, 11:48
I've been in the process of purchasing an AR over the past 3 years haha and cant decide. But i think i've finally decided on the Colt 6920 LEMP with the magpul OD green furniture. If anyone is familiar with this gun please give me any input and people with just knowledge on the guns period , any help is appreciated. Also , looking for a battle rifle ready out the box no optics needed. I eventually may buy optics and attachments. but it will be much later down the line.

SHAWNthePATRIOT

hogfan1911
06-22-12, 11:56
Sounds like a great choice to me. I have almost exactly the same furniture on my BCM and I really like it. Colt: good. Magpul: good. Therefore, Colt + Magpul = good.

OkieOutlaw
06-22-12, 12:02
A few months ago I was in the same position as you. After tons of research on M4C and handling several guns at the LGS. I finally decided on the LE6920 as my first ar. After around 500 rounds with no problems at all I feel that there is no finer weapon made. I decided on the bone stock gun as I wanted to add a rail for different equipment, Light, bipod for coyote hunting etc. Good luck with your choice of a quality ar. PM me with any questions if you like.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
06-22-12, 12:23
Just got one in black and doing my 10 days. This will be my third AR and I intend to keep it as a pure KISS gun-- I'll put a T-1 and a Surefire on it. Didn't really need it having 2 other ARs, but I've always wanted to get a Colt M4 back into the inventory for nostalgic/sentimental reasons and when they started selling again in the PRK I had to snatch one up. They aren't the prettiest gun out there, but if you're looking for the original that gets the job done-- look no further.

bobsolla
06-22-12, 12:41
Just got one in black and doing my 10 days. This will be my third AR and I intend to keep it as a pure KISS gun-- I'll put a T-1 and a Surefire on it. Didn't really need it having 2 other ARs, but I've always wanted to get a Colt M4 back into the inventory for nostalgic/sentimental reasons and when they started selling again in the PRK I had to snatch one up. They aren't the prettiest gun out there, but if you're looking for the original that gets the job done-- look no further.

what do you mean by :doing your ten days?is this a waiting period?if so,damn that`s a wait!good luck to you and enjoy your rifle!

remington79
06-22-12, 12:45
After doing some research here I'm doing the same thing. OD furniture to. The only things I'm going to add down the road is an optic, simple 2 point sling, and a light.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
06-22-12, 13:02
what do you mean by :doing your ten days?is this a waiting period?if so,damn that`s a wait!good luck to you and enjoy your rifle!

Yep-- 10 wait period. That's how it is in the PRK! Thank you- I'm looking forward to it!

3 AE
06-22-12, 13:15
You would be off to a great start if you purchase the Colt with the Magpul furniture. There isn't much left to get other than a dozen or so quality magazines, a sling, a light, and 1000+ rounds of quality ammo to start off with.

Grease Monkey
06-22-12, 13:17
Go for it! Excellent rifle!

SHAWNthePATRIOT
06-22-12, 14:04
what are some good places for a decent price to order some quality stock ammo. 5.56x45 .223? i plan on ordering the rifle and the ammunition the same day! :D any good websites?

3 AE
06-22-12, 14:18
what are some good places for a decent price to order some quality stock ammo. 5.56x45 .223? i plan on ordering the rifle and the ammunition the same day! :D any good websites?

You can start here and set up your own list of ammo suppliers.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10750

Split66
06-22-12, 16:56
Thats a great choice Shawn. The only thing I would recommend upgrading out of the box if you arent going the optic route would be the rear sight. A fixed Daniel Defense, LMT, or the old school carry handle would work great :D Good luck with the Pony!

usmcvet
06-22-12, 17:47
Great rifle. I agree the only thing I would change would be the rear sight.

SHAWNthePATRIOT
06-22-12, 18:04
whats the issue with the rear sight? is it crap? i mean will it serve its purpose for a while? will it hold up during range time and self defense if the moment occurs? let me know , thanks

SHAWNthePATRIOT

Wolf Spyder
06-22-12, 18:36
I built my first AR15 on a Stag upper & lower, but then I learned about the "Chart". After learning as much as I did, I am still really happy with my home built M4-gery. The only thing that I wish were different with it was the barrel. Granted it is chambered for 5.56mm NATO and both the bore and chamber are hard chromed, it has a 1 in 9 twist and is made of 4140 steel instead of being a 1 in 7 twist and made of 4150 steel. Out side of the cheap-ass red dot I'm using, the rifle has been great so far. It has preformed better than my brother's Rock River. My home built rifle shoots tighter groups than his Rock River, and I spent more than $400 less than he did.

I am gearing up to purchase a second AR15, and like you, I am looking really hard at the Colt LE-6920 platform. I did not know they offered it in OD Green. I have been looking at the FDE.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/LE6920MP-FDE.jpg

I just wish they would offer barrels without the M203 cuts. I also wish they would offer a mid length gas system option.

usmcvet
06-22-12, 19:09
whats the issue with the rear sight? is it crap? i mean will it serve its purpose for a while? will it hold up during range time and self defense if the moment occurs? let me know , thanks

SHAWNthePATRIOT

It is just not something I like. I just do not get a warm and fuzzy feeling about them. I like most magpul gear and use lots if it. I don't like the MBUIS or the AFG. I like the DD A1.5 BUIS and the LMT BUIS but that is me.

CMH
06-22-12, 22:22
I have had one with all black furniture for about two months. It has had narry hiccup through 800 rounds of various ammo. Great rifle, get it.

SHAWNthePATRIOT
06-22-12, 22:29
thanks to all for the comments,advice, and knowledge. Much appreciated...happy shooting

SHAWNthePATRIOT

Preliator
06-22-12, 23:10
I started with a standard LE6920 a few years ago - My rifle now looks like the 6920MP in OD green. I don't think there are any better places to start with a basic carbine than this. All you will see added to mine are:

1) Mossie FSB light mount w/streamlight TLR1
2) Aimpoint PRO
3) VCAS sling
4) BCM Gunfighter CH #4.

I use it as an entry gun, patrol rifle, and HD weapon.

PS: unless you are running irons primarily, I wouldn't get to worked up about using the Magpul MBUIS, they are fine for use with optics.

usmcvet
06-22-12, 23:21
Nothing wrong with the MBUIS it is just the only thing I would change.

Preliator
06-22-12, 23:35
Nothing wrong with the MBUIS it is just the only thing I would change.

Gotcha.

S/F

SHAWNthePATRIOT
06-23-12, 00:02
i plan on adding a decent 3 point sling and eventually a tac light. Then when i get the money for a decent Eotech or something of that nature. Ill add that. Until then , imma stick with getting more mags and ammunition.

SHAWNthePATRIOT

Preliator
06-23-12, 00:38
i plan on adding a decent 3 point sling and eventually a tac light. Then when i get the money for a decent Eotech or something of that nature. Ill add that. Until then , imma stick with getting more mags and ammunition.

SHAWNthePATRIOT

Could I recommend looking into a modern 2 point sling? 3 point slings have, for good reason, generally gone the way of the dodo. 3 points add points of failure that are unnecessary, and you can accomplish the same things with a much simpler 2 point design. The less moving parts you have when working with what is presumably a fighting rifle, the better off you will be.

SHAWNthePATRIOT
06-23-12, 13:33
not a bad idea, have to consider that. thanks man

SHAWNthePATRIOT

Steve S.
06-23-12, 13:49
What is generally the price difference between a 6920 and a 6920 "magpul"?

Split66
06-23-12, 14:37

Usually about $100 which is a pretty good deal.

Clem
06-23-12, 14:46

Here's a Magpul version for $1055
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/COLE6920MP-B.aspx

And the regular version for $995
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx

filthy phil
06-23-12, 17:00
Here's a Magpul version for $1055
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/COLE6920MP-B.aspx

And the regular version for $995
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx

i'm getting the "moe" version for the walmart price but at a pawn shop but the moe fore-end will be the 1st to go. what do you folks recommend for a railed out, #'d unit?

Marshallreb
06-23-12, 21:06
love the rifle, i say go for it!

Proconsul
06-23-12, 22:34
i'm getting the "moe" version for the walmart price but at a pawn shop but the moe fore-end will be the 1st to go. what do you folks recommend for a railed out, #'d unit?

Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 if you want to free float. MOE is fine if you don't.

everyusernametaken
06-23-12, 23:07
cheaperthandirt has some LE6920 MP's in stock for a change. Prices seem pretty good for what I've seen on these models elsewhere. They also have the MP-R model.

fdxpilot
06-24-12, 00:26

I have Daniels rails on some of my earlier ARs, but the last couple I have built, I have gone for simplicity and used MOE handguards (2 middie length and 1 rifle.) You can add small sections of rail as needed for a light or bipod. My 2 Colt 6920s both still have the stock round handguards.

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u520/Mike_Frey/IMG_0430.jpg

As mentioned above, if you want a free-float rail, I'm a big fan of the many varieties of Daniels rails.

dispositionmatrix
12-29-12, 09:40
OP, how did this work out for you? Are you happy with the MP furniture?

I might have a line on the exact same AR, provided that I am willing to get soaked on price. My goal was a SOCOM, but with a 4-6 month lead time, a staggering price increase on the horizon, and things being the way they are, I thought it best to at least try to strike while the iron is hot.

I have already priced out a Knight's Armour 7" rail and another grip and am just trying to figure out what the best choice for the military style stock (http://dsgarms.com/images/products/CAVC2black.jpg) is.

Pilot1
12-29-12, 11:32
I have the LE6920MP-FDE version and love it. So far I have just been using the MBUS sights until my Burris Mtac arrives, and they are fine. I like the Magpul MOE furniture as it is light and ergonomic for me. I really like the lightness of this carbine, can't wait to mount the optic and really see what it can do.

samnev
12-29-12, 12:22
Go for it! Excellent rifle!

Great choice.:agree: I owned one and had to trade it for a Noveske N4 Afghan. Went right out and bought another the same day. Only changes was a BCM Mod 4 charging handle and the same ACOG (TA 31F) I had on the one i traded.

remington79
12-29-12, 15:12
I'm not the OP but I posted earlier in this thread about the one I want. In July I bought a LE6920 with OD Magpul furniture and I couldn't be happier. I to like how light it is. So far the only changes I made was to add a VCAS sling. Next on my list is a BCM Mod 4 charging handle. I was worried about the Magpul rear sight but after I saw it I'm not worried about it anymore. It's made of tough polymer and we all know how durable PMags are.

One of the other features I like is how the trigger guard is also Magpul and gives more room for gloves. I like the forearm. I didn't want a rail on the front. I have no use for one and I don't want the weight or the sharp edges of a rail or having to buy covers for them. I can get a short section of rail for a flashlight. I couldn't be happier and I would buy a second one with the same setup in a heart beat.

Ferris2son
12-29-12, 20:28
I just picked one up from G&R. Haven't shot it yet. Love OD.

Shoot 1st
12-29-12, 21:18
wow 6+ month bring back....

Dessert Fox
12-29-12, 21:32
wow 6+ month bring back....
It's refreshing to see that people actually use the big orange "Search" button :D

Greyskull
12-29-12, 21:51
I might have a line on the exact same AR, provided that I am willing to get soaked on price. My goal was a SOCOM, but with a 4-6 month lead time, a staggering price increase on the horizon, and things being the way they are, I thought it best to at least try to strike while the iron is hot.

I have already priced out a Knight's Armour 7" rail and another grip and am just trying to figure out what the best choice for the military style stock (http://dsgarms.com/images/products/CAVC2black.jpg) is.

If you're building a .mil clone, that one's not quite right. This one however, is exact http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Mil-Spec-M4-Stock-p/stock%20only%20m4%20black%20-%20gen2.htm Looks like it's on sale now, kinda mad I paid full list price but... hey I paid $950 for my 6920 before the election :D

Are you going with the Knight's rails that have been std issue for 10+ years? If so I wouldn't pay more than $150 for a full set, they've flooded the slightly used market and all anybody cares about now is free float rails.

cobrad
12-29-12, 22:58
Sure wish I could have found one at those 6 months ago prices! I got interested in an AR only when all this gun ban crap came up. Have a 6920 OD shipping the first week of January. I am a long range shooter. This AR stuff is all new to me. Fortunately I was able to scratch together 784 rounds of M855

hotrodder636
12-29-12, 23:10
Usually about $100 which is a pretty good deal.

Prior to the craze I only paid $80 more for the Magpul at Walmart than the standard M4.

dispositionmatrix
12-30-12, 04:09
If you're building a .mil clone, that one's not quite right. This one however, is exact http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Mil-Spec-M4-Stock-p/stock%20only%20m4%20black%20-%20gen2.htm Looks like it's on sale now, kinda mad I paid full list price but... hey I paid $950 for my 6920 before the election :D
Thank you, sir, for that info. After looking at many higher-resolution pics yesterday evening and doing some reading, I came to the conclusion that I had it wrong. But searching here as well as the more nebulous ar15.com, I was unable to find the information you so succinctly posted. I will place that order ASAP.

Are you going with the Knight's rails that have been std issue for 10+ years? If so I wouldn't pay more than $150 for a full set, they've flooded the slightly used market and all anybody cares about now is free float rails.
I was assuming that 98064 (http://www.knightarmco.com/portfolio/m4-carbine-ras/?cate_cm=commercial&term=rails&features=m4-carbine-ras) is what I am after. (Feel free to let me know if I am wrong again.) If I am not wrong, I would actually get the 98064S (second), which is $150 (http://www.knightarmco.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=32&zenid=bnj0lak2b9rvp1nnhd1aecptn3).

My goal is, within reason, to get this LE6920MP-OD outfitted like the SOCOM I actually wanted, bearing in mind that the MP has the lighter barrel and that the lower receiver is stamped "M4 CARBINE" rather than "M4A1 CARBINE" as the SOCOM is. At this point I do not even know what else is different between them.

Plato
12-30-12, 21:10
I just grabbed a CA compliant one. It's nice I must say. I'm gonna magpul pink it up for the wife.

dispositionmatrix
12-31-12, 19:01
Jumping the gun, I was able to procure a few rounds of Federal XM193. This is probably not what I want to use for zeroing.

Plato
01-01-13, 04:42
Jumping the gun, I was able to procure a few rounds of Federal XM193. This is probably not what I want to use for zeroing.

So what would you use? M855?

dispositionmatrix
01-01-13, 10:01
So what would you use? M855?
I have no idea what I should use, other than _reading_ somewhere that >=62gr should be used when accuracy is a concern. So I would ask a more experienced person like you.

Grains and brand cross-referenced with intended purpose and weapon--still all a mystery to me.

samuse
01-01-13, 15:00
Zero the gun with whatever ammo you're gonna be using.

I buy ammo by the case and I confirm/adjust zero with the first box and I only shoot that ammo (when I care about accuracy) until it's gone. Open a new case? Yep. Confirm zero.

I usually just confirm zero at 50 yards, but if my optic has been off, or anything has been changed, or if I feel like something is not right, I'll shoot at 50, 100 and 200.

I always confirm zero shooting from prone, since I'm likely to be shooting from prone when I need to take a low % shot...

dispositionmatrix
01-13-13, 15:26
I started with a standard LE6920 a few years ago - My rifle now looks like the 6920MP in OD green. I don't think there are any better places to start with a basic carbine than this. All you will see added to mine are:

1) Mossie FSB light mount w/streamlight TLR1
2) Aimpoint PRO
3) VCAS sling
4) BCM Gunfighter CH #4.

I use it as an entry gun, patrol rifle, and HD weapon.

PS: unless you are running irons primarily, I wouldn't get to worked up about using the Magpul MBUIS, they are fine for use with optics.
Similarly, as of yesterday I have an LE6920 that now looks more similar to an MP. (Went from new member to new owner.) I just need to decide on a BUIS as I don't know if I want to bother to zero with the OEM handle rear site on. Of the three(?) LE6920 variants, the vanilla law enforcement model was my last choice and the SOCOM was my first choice, but--getting back to the point of this thread--I jumped on the first shipment of 6920s the gun store was fortunate enough to receive yesterday. They were all LE6920s.
OOTB:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-KbK0WdnHijE/UPMiV-YhfxI/AAAAAAAAAB0/LCc_Z6HiIc8/s1024/colt_le6920_oem_foregrip_oem_grip_oem_20mag.jpg

-->MP:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-m611B1HGYMM/UPMiUwYi5FI/AAAAAAAAABg/ZLJObtlwz4I/s716/colt_le6920_magpul_foregrip_magpul_handgrip_magpul_vgrip_pmag.jpg

Rollstamp:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-548muKk6mgI/UPMl6baxHiI/AAAAAAAAADA/-WcZdzGIJug/s640/colt_le6920_model_stamp_edited.jpg