PDA

View Full Version : Inherited a couple of revolvers

phenom00
06-22-12, 19:43
Hey guys, I inherited a couple of revolvers from my fiance's grandfather. I have never used revolvers before and was wondering if a 30+ year old charter arms .38 undercover is still safe to use. It seems in good shape and functioning fine, but it is a few decades old and i am not sure how these stand up to time. The other revolver is a 22lr smith&wesson with a five inch barrel that looks to be in excellent condition, also several decades old. Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

gunnut284
06-23-12, 04:47
A 30 year old gun is not old and guns will not become unsafe simple due to age. Many people regularly shoot Mosin Nagants that are 70+ years old and they still work fine, are safe and were made by conscripted peasants. Seriously though, the Charter should be fine as long as it is in good shape (age isn't an issue), the older Charters are supposed to be better quality than the current ones. The S&W should be fine too. If you are really concerned or don't know anything about revolvers you can have a competent gunsmith check them out.

phenom00
06-23-12, 06:05
Thanks, I wasn't too sure about the quality of charter arms as I have not heard of them before. I'm going to put a few rounds through them today and see how well they function.

Beat Trash
06-23-12, 07:46
I would use standard pressure loads in the 30 yr old Charter Arms revolver.

The .22 S&W, depending on what you actually have might be worth some money. Either way, it would be an excellent gun for plinking.

jtmontana
07-02-12, 21:21
the .22 should be more than fine and the charter shouldnt be a problem if you just use factory loads...nothing hot.