PDA

View Full Version : Solutions for a stuck cam pin? (new BCG)

Grayling14
06-23-12, 06:23
I have a brand new BCM upper with same brand BCG. I Went to disassemble the BCG for cleaning and lubing prior to initial range visit, and I'll be darned if I can get the cam pin out. The bolt moves freely within the carrier, along with the associated movement of the cam pin in its slot, but I cannot seem to get the pin to rotate to effect bolt removal.
Bottom line: The cam pin will not rotate.
Suggestions?

FailureDrill-P099
06-23-12, 06:58
Maybe you could post a picture or two so we could see. I cant think of any thing that would stop it from rotating if you have the firing pin out. Maybe try a small flat head screw driver to try and rotate the cam pin a little, work some lube in there to help.

sjc3081
06-23-12, 07:28
Did you remove the firing pin first?

thehun
06-23-12, 09:03
Is it me or there have been a lot of QA issues with BCM...:help:

Gun
06-23-12, 09:05
Did you remove the firing pin first?

... after removing the retaining pin.:D

GTifosi
06-23-12, 11:28
Pretty sure it is just you.

Iraqgunz
06-23-12, 11:32
Most of it has been operator headspace from I have seen. This one is no different I am sure.

Iraqgunz
06-23-12, 11:34
You have a new BCG and it is going to be tight. Do you know how to disassemble the BCG? Once you have taken the retaining pin and firing pin out, simply use a pair of needle nose pliers, rotate it and pull it out.

I have a brand new BCM upper with same brand BCG. I Went to disassemble the BCG for cleaning and lubing prior to initial range visit, and I'll be darned if I can get the cam pin out. The bolt moves freely within the carrier, along with the associated movement of the cam pin in its slot, but I cannot seem to get the pin to rotate to effect bolt removal.
Bottom line: The cam pin will not rotate.
Suggestions?

zero7one
06-23-12, 13:16
You have a new BCG and it is going to be tight. Do you know how to disassemble the BCG? Once you have taken the retaining pin and firing pin out, simply use a pair of needle nose pliers, rotate it and pull it out.

Could not have said it any better. Let us know if this does not work.

Sent via Tapatalk.

kmrtnsn
06-23-12, 13:28
Did you remove the firing pin first? ... after removing the retaining pin.

I am 99.9% convinced that this is the problem.

Grayling14
06-25-12, 06:08
Most of it has been operator headspace from I have seen. This one is no different I am sure.

The wisdom of experience cannot be overstated.

Do you know how to disassemble the BCG?

Apparently not.

You have a new BCG and it is going to be tight . . . Once you have taken the retaining pin and firing pin out, simply use a pair of needle nose pliers, rotate it and pull it out.

Even after my facepalm moment it still did require this ^. Considerably tighter than the cams I have seen on other bolts, but not the problem.

Is it me or there have been a lot of QA issues with BCM...

To more accurately answer this question it first needs to be determined whether the operator knows his arse from a hole in the ground.

There is nothing like a little self-inflicted humiliation to help keep one humble!:haha:

HKBanger
06-25-12, 08:26

I know of none with the exception of a few out of spec uppers that snuck through and Paul addressed it directly on here! What QC issues are you talking about??? 14.5" mid lengths not shooting weak and/or steel cased .223 isn't a QC issue, by the way.

I'd put a little lube inside around the cam pin. New ones are a bitch to get out sometimes.

saddlerocker
06-25-12, 09:54
I have read about a number of broken gas key fasteners on BCM BCG's since December.

Also someone just posted about a tight inside diameter on a BCM carrier, or a burr or something. It broke 2 sets of gas keys within the first 10 rounds each time.

Im confident that the broken fasteners were from one batch, because everyone bought them around the same time.

This new report about the gas rings breaking is a new one.
I dont believe this post here is an actual issue btw.

I have a new BCM BCG sitting at home for a new build. I gotta drop it in my AR and run some rounds.
Most likely not a function issue, but there is chrome run-out on the front face of the carrier. I have never seen that on any BCG.

Steve from ADCO said he has sent back more parts this year than any other year he can remember.
It seems that suppliers are trying to crank out product, and QC is lacking.
Maybe even from BCM

bobsolla
06-25-12, 10:58

ha!"operator head space error"!love it!and i thought there were "no stupid questions"!proved me wrong!

Iraqgunz
06-25-12, 20:53
Well since I have some uniques insight into this, let me say this. BCM is not cutting corners when it comes to QC. As a matter of fact based upon just a few things that I have seen, I would bet that their QA/QC is more rigid than most.

The fact is that until we remove the human equation from the solution there are always going to be problems. What sets companies apart from another is how they deal with those issues.

I have read about a number of broken gas key fasteners on BCM BCG's since December.

Also someone just posted about a tight inside diameter on a BCM carrier, or a burr or something. It broke 2 sets of gas keys within the first 10 rounds each time.

Im confident that the broken fasteners were from one batch, because everyone bought them around the same time.

This new report about the gas rings breaking is a new one.
I dont believe this post here is an actual issue btw.

I have a new BCM BCG sitting at home for a new build. I gotta drop it in my AR and run some rounds.
Most likely not a function issue, but there is chrome run-out on the front face of the carrier. I have never seen that on any BCG.

Steve from ADCO said he has sent back more parts this year than any other year he can remember.
It seems that suppliers are trying to crank out product, and QC is lacking.
Maybe even from BCM

saddlerocker
06-25-12, 21:26
I agree that what matters is how the company handles it.
And in all these issues that ive read about, BCM made it right very quickly.

I have lots of BCM stuff and this in no way makes me re-consider them for parts.
Its more suggesting that suppliers may be rushing things.

You would know better than most, but if a batch of gas key fasteners weren't heat treated correctly, there is no way BCM could check for that correct? They just have to trust the supplier.
I dont know if BCM checks the torque on the screws, or installs them themselves, but maybe there were over torqued from the supplier.

Well since I have some uniques insight into this, let me say this. BCM is not cutting corners when it comes to QC. As a matter of fact based upon just a few things that I have seen, I would bet that their QA/QC is more rigid than most.

The fact is that until we remove the human equation from the solution there are always going to be problems. What sets companies apart from another is how they deal with those issues.

M4Fundi
06-26-12, 00:00
Grayling14... happens to everyone now and again.... handled it well;) Glad you got sorted:)

EzGoingKev
07-12-12, 20:06
I know this was resolved a while ago, but I thought this pic might help anyone looking in this thread for help -

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0AAhpAis3Yg/T_90FWkTxoI/AAAAAAAAFAs/QpHXmF77PzM/s800/bolt_anatomy.jpg

Suwannee Tim
07-13-12, 15:16
If your cam pin is actually stuck as was mine in a 5.45 after 2160 shots, you can easily twist it with an ignition wrench.