PDA

View Full Version : BAD-ASS Safety Centers + NiB...

Brahmzy
06-23-12, 14:04
Got these back from WMD last night - thanks Wynn - Perfect work as usual.

A while back I was thinking about what pieces I could have NiB coated that would actually BENEFIT my rifles and not be exterior, visible bling. I started digging and found out ST does this to the BAD levers they sell, but I already sorta owned the center cylinders.

Anyway, I had 5 done and these feel great! Just perfect, smooth clicks. The feeling of the KNS turned detents on the NiB'd detent groove gave me a pretty big grin. I was a little afraid the NiB would create clearance issues, but it doesn't - I tested them in 5 different lowers. Perfect fit.

It's just a bored OCD thing and not necessary, but boy do they feel good. :D A big thanks to Roger at BAD for being, well, bad ass.

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/4202/banib004s.jpg

Duffy
06-23-12, 16:18
Thanks! We looked into it in 2010, but decided against it because while it's nice, we weren't familiar with NB coating so we worried it may change the tolerances, and it would have added cost to what is already a costly component (to the end user).

Our fears were somewhat realized much later when we did play with NB coating. Maybe it was just isolated incidences, some centers had enough material added to change the characteristics of the selector center (not in a good way like added smoothness).

Our components did not make allowance for NB coating, they were and still are designed for manganese phosphate.

In cases where it works, and that's the vast majority of them, it's very nice. It's the randomness in the limited samples we had that didn't make us comfortable.

Now Melonite, that's something we might look into :)

Hehuhates
06-24-12, 07:34
Damn I thought you were selling centers "nib".

My levers are plenty smooth now with a sharp pronounced stop. I'm not fudging with em'. Happy it worked out for you.