PDA

View Full Version : 14.5 vs 16" bbl.....Colt, Noveske, LMT

jhs1969
01-18-08, 19:52
You guys really make me do a lot second guessing. First I had deceided to get a Colt 6920 as a second M4 (my wife will inherit the BM). Then I was sold on the LMT's (milspec FCG pins, better service) now I hear so much great stuff on the Noveske N4.

It sounds as if the Noveske may offer more than the others, but here is my question. Why should I give up velocity (terminal energy) of a 16" bbl to the Noveske's 14.5 bbl. Am I missing something here or do you guys feel Noveske's quality off sets the shorter bbl, lower velocity?

BushmasterFanBoy
01-18-08, 20:31
I love the shorter 14.5 inch barrels with the permanently attached flash suppressors. They handle really well compared to the longer 16inch barrels. You wouldn't think that the extra 1.5inches would make a difference in feel, but it does.

In my opinion you're not sacrificing much by going down to a 14.5 (Other than the fact that the muzzle device has to be permanently attached), and you make a pretty significant gain with the shorter barrel and overall more compact weapon.

I'm sure if you were a benchrest shooter and did a scientific test you could discern an accuracy difference between the two barrel lengths, but that isn't what these are used for. I would imagine you'll be throwing on a low power or zero power optic and you're not going to see a difference in accuracy with those types of optics. Get the 14.5.

CPR
01-18-08, 22:50
Get the N4. I like the feel of mine so much I'm having Grant put an N4 barrel on my 6721. What's your purpose for the rifle?

jhs1969
01-19-08, 18:49
I want another M4 for myself, like I said, my wife will inherit the BM. I've upgraded and outfitted the BM pretty well but I want a serious carbine for myself that doesn't need any upgrades, just my personal choices for such things as rail handguards, sling, mags and ammo. It's most important roles will be home defense and of course for duty in the worst conceivable SHTF scenario imaginable. I guess you could say I want it to be combat ready or as close as possible. It will also take over the BM's role as critter control and will see more range use. Some of the things I've not changed on the BM should be ok (non-milspec rec. extension, no M4 ramps etc.) but the next M4 I do not want to have to make any necessary upgrades, I do not want it to be just 'OK'. I'm not looking for a unique custom gun such as Wilson Combat or Les Baer (yes I know, they DO have their place) but I do want the best I can get.