PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix boy, 14, shoots armed intruder while protecting three younger siblings

feedramp
06-23-12, 16:53
"Phoenix boy, 14, shoots armed intruder while watching three younger siblings (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/23/phoenix-boy-14-shoots-armed-intruder-while-watching-three-younger-siblings/)"

Excerpts:

A 14-year-old Phoenix boy shot an intruder who broke into his home while brandishing a gun as the teenager watched his three younger siblings, police said.

The teen and his brothers and sisters were at home alone at their residence at 55th Avenue and Baseline when a woman rang the doorbell Friday. The teen didn't open the door because he didn't recognize her, Police Officer James Holmes said Saturday.

Soon after, the teen heard a bang on the door, rushed his siblings upstairs and got a handgun from his parent's bedroom. When he got to the top of the stairs, he saw a man breaking through the front door and point a gun at him.

The boy shot the 37-year-old man, who is in critical condition but expected to survive and be booked into jail.

Holmes hailed the teen's actions and his parents for teaching the kids to never open the door to strangers.

"The police and indeed our community does not ever want to see a situation where a teenager of that age has to take a weapon to protect his family ... but this young man did exactly what he should have done," he said. "I'm not sure he gave full thought about what he had to do. He just acted."

Holmes added that the family is lucky that the teen acted so swiftly and effectively.

"As ugly as this is, and as much as this family is going through, we don't have injured children on our hands," he said.

Moose-Knuckle
06-23-12, 16:55
Score one for the good guys, good thing this kid lives in AZ and not FL. Otherwise he might be facing twenty to life.

VooDoo6Actual
06-23-12, 17:33
Outstanding !
Give that young man a car/cigar/glock/1911/college fund ?
Give that man's Dad a cigar & a shot for teaching him.
2nd amendment alive & well.
A trend to be happening more frequently unfortunately imo.

Kfgk14
06-23-12, 17:49
Outstanding !
Give that young man a car/cigar/glock/1911/college fund ?
Give that man's Dad a cigar & a shot for teaching him.
2nd amendment alive & well.
A trend to be happening my frequently imo.

In a just world...not here. Obummer will give us a press release demanding the family be sent to prison for leaving a firearm in reach of children.

But, yeah-too bad he had to pull the trigger, but thank God the good guy won.

Honu
06-23-12, 19:27
and when the guy gets out of the hospital they need to shoot him again :) keep repeating till he is dead !

SteyrAUG
06-23-12, 23:59
And this is why all guns should be locked in a safe, with a trigger lock and the ammo locked up in a separate location. When children can access firearms only tragedy can result.

That child should have just called 911 and waited for police. Instead he got a gun and escalated the situation. If it only saves one criminal...

NoveskeFan
06-24-12, 00:14
I bet the family of the shot man will try to sue based on the child having access to the firearm.

And this is why all guns should be locked in a safe, with a trigger lock and the ammo locked up in a separate location. When children can access firearms only tragedy can result.

That child should have just called 911 and waited for police. Instead he got a gun and escalated the situation. If it only saves one criminal...

SWATcop556
06-24-12, 00:52
I say this to the boy and his family....

Out-****ing-Standing!

When he's 21 I'm buying him a beer.

SteyrAUG
06-24-12, 02:05

Out-****ing-Standing!

I say he's earned one right now and I'd pour.

Honu
06-24-12, 06:35
PHX police response time !

we coming back from my kids Bday party got a call our alarm went off (this was in May this year)
so they ask are we home we say NO they say OK we will call the police I think cool they will be their by the time I get their cause we were about 20 minutes away !
we get home no police yet ! they showed up about 25 minutes later !

can tell you that really opened the wifes eyes up to response times she could not believe how long it took I did think they were going to be quicker than that ! no idea if it went off and we called and were home if it would have been quicker ?

usmcvet
06-24-12, 15:20

Out-****ing-Standing!

I second that. Anyone know what he was shot with,mthe distance and cal? Sounds like a good shot!

PHX police response time !

we coming back from my kids Bday party got a call our alarm went off (this was in May this year)
so they ask are we home we say NO they say OK we will call the police I think cool they will be their by the time I get their cause we were about 20 minutes away !
we get home no police yet ! they showed up about 25 minutes later !

can tell you that really opened the wifes eyes up to response times she could not believe how long it took I did think they were going to be quicker than that ! no idea if it went off and we called and were home if it would have been quicker ?
I'm a small town cop but imagine in big cities even small cities your alarm went down the list and more urgent calls were handled first. Someone else might have better insight.

Honu
06-25-12, 01:22
I second that. Anyone know what he was shot with,mthe distance and cal? Sounds like a good shot!

I'm a small town cop but imagine in big cities even small cities your alarm went down the list and more urgent calls were handled first. Someone else might have better insight.

yeah agree and not a hack on the police :) but more just a eye opener for the wife on reality :)

it is what it is !

and I am sure if I said I was home they might have made it quicker that is why I said not sure and again I figure like the kids and the sayings when seconds count !!!

I can say police have a thankless job ! when I was in the FD one of my best buds said it best (he was a cop)
you guys can flood their house cut openings in the side and roof and throw everything they own out on the ground and they thank you !!!

me I knock on the door and I get the WHAT DO YOU WANT attitude :)

Voodoo_Man
06-25-12, 01:54

Out-****ing-Standing!

I'll give that another big +1 Out-****ing-Standing!

J_B
06-25-12, 08:44
I bet the family of the shot man will try to sue based on the child having access to the firearm.

No way...it's AZ, not CA.

CA would rather make victims out of it's citizens.

NoveskeFan
06-25-12, 09:01
Seems this country has been heading the way of CA.:(

No way...it's AZ, not CA.

CA would rather make victims out of it's citizens.

Moltke
06-25-12, 09:53
Good boy. I hope he runs for office one day.

glocktogo
06-25-12, 10:54
Kudos to the kid. He makes my admittedly short "Heroes List" for defending his siblings.

As for LE response times, many cash strapped local governments are cutting essential services to save money. Those response times have nowhere to go but up, through no fault of the LEO's themselves.

I think this is one of the driving factors in more citizens buying guns for defense. Well, that and zombies. :)

NWPilgrim
06-25-12, 13:35
50 years ago that would not be remarkable, in fact expected. Good thing that Dad passed on time proven wisdom to his son and that his son has the stones to act. Family of the year!

3 AE
06-25-12, 18:07
Got a chuckle about this part in article, "....police don't yet know what the suspects intentions were...."

Seems to me that breaking and entering and pointing a gun at a child pretty much is self explanatory no matter what the suspect will claim! LOL

On a more serious note, thank goodness the teen had the mindset to accomplish what he did. Somehow he was able to recognize the threat. Move his siblings to a safer location, access and bring to bear an "equalizer" and make a very quick decision to neutralize the threat. That's not something most adults let alone teens have any prior training to help prepare themselves for such a situation.

Now the hard part begins. Having to deal with the aftermath of a shooting and the possible retaliations by the suspect's associates. It's that mental drain of having to keep looking over your shoulder. Of having to be in that situational awareness mode all the time. That's a heavy load to bear for a family. Hopefully the family will get the support and protection from neighbors and friends.

usmcvet
06-25-12, 18:44
50 years ago that would not be remarkable, in fact expected. Good thing that Dad passed on time proven wisdom to his son and that his son has the stones to act. Family of the year!

Very true.

Kudos to the kid. He makes my admittedly short "Heroes List" for defending his siblings.

As for LE response times, many cash strapped local governments are cutting essential services to save money. Those response times have nowhere to go but up, through no fault of the LEO's themselves.

I think this is one of the driving factors in more citizens buying guns for defense. Well, that and zombies. :)

Our PD has been forced to leave shifts open because of budget cuts. Not very often but at times there is just no cop on duty. It is very frustrating.