PDA

View Full Version : Brownells Aluma Hyde

Bauer C
06-23-12, 22:20
I have an upper that is in need of refinishing and wanted to see if anyone has used this stuff.

The website doesn't show examples of the colors which sucks, so do any of yall have anything you could show?

I was thinking of the matte black or park grey

wetidlerjr
06-23-12, 23:27
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/wetidlerjr/Colt%201911/MINI14_TROY001a.jpg

The gas block, barrel and FH of this Mini-14 is in Aluma Hyde Dark Parkerizing Gray

ETA: http://www.brownells.com/UserDocs/Miscellaneous/083002012swatch.jpg

hill
06-24-12, 00:18
I have used the alumahyde product many times and the results are ok...expect some chipping...if you want a hardcore spray on finish...check out the dura coat product...a two part epoxy deal I've use only once but damn!

Bauer C
06-24-12, 04:00
I was thinking about duracoat as well, i saw they have an all in one shake and spray kit which would be great since i don't have an airbrush.

I hear duracoat now has UDE as an option but i haven't seen it in stock.

wetidlerjr
06-24-12, 04:52
I have used the alumahyde product many times and the results are ok...expect some chipping...if you want a hardcore spray on finish...check out the dura coat product...a two part epoxy deal I've use only once but damn!

I have never had a chipping problem with Aluma Hyde (rattle can) but I have had one with Duracoat (put on by someone else) and I don't recommend it. YMMV

Fuzzy-Reticle
06-24-12, 10:29
I have used Aluma Hyde many times. I find that like all of these products the user needs to clean and degrease the object completely before applying. Secondly I find that heating the object before applying the paint helps make the paint cure more evenly and quickly. I also place any painted items in the oven for about 2 or 3 hours in about 160 - 175 degree heat. It does give off an odor so dont do this when the wife is home. Even better do it at someone elses house. This cuts the cure time to mere hours rather than days. The parts are touchable and you can work with them the same day. If you just spray and pray you cant touch this stuff for days or a week or longer depending on the temp you apply and let cure.

If applied correctly AlumaHyde has been tough as hell for me. I have not had any chipping or flaking and it stands up to all of the bore cleaners I use like Butches bore shine and Hoppes.

Its really good stuff. The only way I have got it off after applying it was with either Aircraft paint stripper,nasty stuff, similar to Alien acid :) or media blasting it off.

Markasaurus
06-25-12, 08:09
The brownells video is quite informative. A heat gun is almost mandatory for a good finish. Also i recommend baking the gun for 5 hours at 180 degrees. no waiting 2 weeks for it to cure. I have used It on two AK 47 and they came out very nice. Their chemical resistance is not great so i use wd40 on the alumahyded parts and hoppes for the bore, of course .

warpigM-4
06-25-12, 09:23
I used it on a Uzi Build I did back in early 2000 I baked it for 20 minutes tough as nails no chipping at all .I would use it again

Tomahawk_Ghost
06-25-12, 09:24
I've used it on a CZ 82 Pistol. Glock Frame and an AK. I had great results with all of them. To help mine cure I put them in the attic for two weeks in the Summer. If you give it time to cure the finish is very hard and durable.

m4brian
06-25-12, 10:56
I suppose ONLY Gunkote and Duracoat are impervious to brake cleaner and such!

Markasaurus
06-25-12, 13:15
I suppose ONLY Gunkote and Duracoat are impervious to brake cleaner and such!

I tried gunkote first. It is indeed very tough, brake cleaner has little effect on it. The problem was the flat black isn't. It came out more like a satin or semi~ gloss which i didn't like. Brownells was nice enough to send me a new can for free. Same problem. They may have fixed the problem now, that was months ago.