PDA

View Full Version : The Gun That Replaced the 1911 - VIDEO

ptmccain
06-24-12, 00:16
I enjoyed pulling together this video providing a fairly thorough overview of the history, feature, functions and, yes, controversy surrounding the Beretta 92 platform. It features accuracy demonstrations and shooting demonstrations. Hope you like it. Let me know what you think and please chime in here or on the channel with any stories of your personal experiences with the Beretta 92, or as it is known in the military, the M9. As always, I welcome your constructive criticism.

azeriosu85
06-24-12, 00:38
very good work!

ptmccain
06-24-12, 00:49
Thanks, bro. Appreciate it.

ralph
06-24-12, 09:28
Good Vid..
I had a couple of Beretta's..A commerical copy of the M9, and a older compact..Both were decent pistols, But, IMO they have a few drawbacks..
The slide mounted saftey/decocker..This was probably the worst possible place for this..why Beretta did'nt keep the frame mounted saftey I'll never know. It's all too easy to flip the saftey levers down when racking the slide, I myself did this too many times to mention. Maybe this was a great idea in the 80's But, it needs changed..

The locking block..This is the weak link in the Beretta 92/96 series..They are supposed to hold up for about 20,000 rnds before needing replaced, But some have broke in as little as 5000 rnds, of course, locking block life depends heavily on regular recoil spring changes, change the recoil spring when it's needed, and you should'nt have a problem. I'd inspect the block regularly for cracks, especially when the round count gets above 5k,
Sights;
I see on yours that Beretta finally got smart and started dovetailing the front sight,That's a big improvement, Before, on my M9, and compact, the front sight was milled into the slide, there was no changing it, and with older Beretta's, this means there are no real sight options.
Beretta's are decent pistols,Very reliable, Like any other pistol they have some drawbacks, I would'nt use one as a CCW, But, that's me. There too many better options out there, for a CCW. If I was going into harm's way, and my choices were limited to between it, and say, a XD, I'd take the Beretta every time..

ptmccain
06-24-12, 09:37
I do not EDC a full size firearm, period. I can't given how I must dress at work, etc. Oh, that's right, my work doesn't permit me even to have a firearm in my car on the property.

:(

HackerF15E
06-24-12, 10:30
It may have gone into service with the military after the 1911 was retired, but it will never "replace" the 1911! haha

I own 'em both, and love 'em both.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Hacker15E/DSCF0861small.jpg

Thanks for the vid!

ptmccain
06-24-12, 14:33
Glad you liked it. I am an equally opportunity gun lover myself. I've got 1911s, Glocks, Rugers, and now Berettas and Benellis.

ralph
06-24-12, 19:31
I do not EDC a full size firearm, period. I can't given how I must dress at work, etc. Oh, that's right, my work doesn't permit me even to have a firearm in my car on the property.

:(

Don't feel bad..mine dosen't either, for that matter, just about any place I go to work, (I work construction, mostly power plants) dosen't allow it..

ptmccain
06-24-12, 19:34
Thanks, bro. +1

brickboy240
06-25-12, 10:37
Nice film!

I still own a 40 caliber version of this platform, although I am not a total fan of this design. The 96F is still one of the softest recoiling 40s out there, next to the full size USP40.

For a 9mm, the 92F is huge, compared to other "service" sized 9mms.

The safety is awkward and way up on the slide and hard to get at, without shifting the pistol in the hand.

If you have medium or small hands, this pistol seems huge, compared to some other double stack 9s. It is too fat and thick and too heavy.

The trigger is long and creepy, too.

On the plus side, the 92/M9 is reliable and accurate and the long sight radius is a plus on the range. It is also a soft kicker and pretty well made.

So I really think the 92FS is a mixed bag. We certainly could have picked a worse service 9mm, but I would have rather seen us adopt the SIG P226, because it has a better grip and the controls are easier to get to than the 92FS.

- brickboy240

CBTech
06-25-12, 16:39
I have used both the M9 and M11 (P226 and P228). Hands down the Sigs are a much better side arm than the 92. From ease of maintenance, cleaning, reliability, durability. Everything. I think what killed it for the main .mil contract was the lack of a safety.
I liked the 226 I used so much that I bought one for my personal and plan to buy a 229 which replaced the 228's.

brickboy240
06-26-12, 11:13
The 229 has a solid slide and feels top heavy if you are used to the older folded slide SIG pistols.

Yes, the P228 is a really nice pistol for a hammer fired d/a s/a unit. I have an old W. German P228 and would never sell it. One of the only d/a s/a pistols I actually like. Well made and pretty accurate.

- brickboy240

loupav
06-26-12, 15:02
Thanks for posting the vid.

Can someone tell me why Beretta DC'd the Vertec so soon? I thought the killed it off to early.

ptmccain
06-26-12, 17:19
Here's my question....

Why can't the US Military commission and then adopt, from an American manufacturer a serviceable issue side arm?

How about S&W or Ruger or....

ralph
06-26-12, 21:52
Here's my question....

Why can't the US Military commission and then adopt, from an American manufacturer a serviceable issue side arm?

How about S&W or Ruger or....

Well, maybe the next time around they will, But my understanding is that Beretta got another contract for more M9's..So, I don't see them going away for at least a decade or more..Besides, last time I looked, the M9 is made here in the U.S. So, they are a American manfacturer, just like FN, (which if I understand correctly) is currently making the M4's for the military....

brickboy240
06-27-12, 12:34
I could see the US military going to the 9mm M&P with a manual safety in the future. That is, once the M9s are older and more worn out.

The M&P would fit more hands, is made by an American company and would fit the bill better than most other US company's 9mm service sized sidearms.

- brickboy240

Quiet
06-28-12, 06:32
That is, once the M9s are older and more worn out.

That won't be until way past the 2020s.

The last Beretta M9 contract, has them delivering M9s & M9A1s until 2015.

sinlessorrow
06-28-12, 21:44
the M9 is a very good pistol, and alot of the issues with the M9 have been fixed in the M9A1 that the Marines use.

remember out of all the pistols entered in the 80's the beretta was the best.

CBTech
06-28-12, 22:31
remember out of all the pistols entered in the 80's the beretta was the best.

Beretta was the one that got the contract. It was down to the M9 and the M11. The M11, which came close to getting the selection, still got into service with conventional and non-conventional forces.

If it had a safety feature the M11 would probably be the main side arm.

sinlessorrow
06-28-12, 22:44
Beretta was the one that got the contract. It was down to the M9 and the M11. The M11, which came close to getting the selection, still got into service with conventional and non-conventional forces.

If it had a safety feature the M11 would probably be the main side arm.

M11?

pretty sure no M11 in the handgun trials in 84'

the P226 actually would have been eliminated and only Beretta would have passed had they not altered the tests to allow the P226 to pass
read this
http://archive.gao.gov/d4t4/130439.pdf

Quiet
06-29-12, 01:23
The SIG P-228 was never a contender in the 1980 or 1984 XM9 pistol trials.
The SIG P-228 got adopted as the M11 in 1989.
The XM11 trials called for a compact sized sidearm.

The XM10 sidearm selection was never adopted.
But, it did add some changes to the Beretta M9.

1980 XM9 = Beretta Model 92SB
1984 XM9 = Beretta Model 92F adopted as M9
1988 XM10 = Beretta Model 92FS incorporated into the M9