PDA

View Full Version : Pins walked on my new 6920

Proconsul
06-24-12, 19:43
I took a brand new 6720 and 6920 to the range to zero in and work out on Friday.

After maybe 50 rounds, I had a potentially serious incident with the 6920, when the trigger pin walked out of the receiver. After resetting the pin and trigger, I kept pretty close watch to see if the pin would work loose and detected no sign of it but this is not to say that the issue is completely resolved, of course.

Voodoo product or not, I have order some KNS pins as a cheap form of additional insurance that the malfunction will not recur.

Should I contact Colt? I've gone back and forth on this.

For what it's worth, I believe that the spring was either not properly seated when shipped, or potentially (and this is a longshot) came loose when the trigger guard was hammered out and a new one put in - I had my dealer swap the 6920's Magpul furniture moved to the 6720 and the stock furniture moved to the 6920.

Apricotshot
06-24-12, 20:15
I'd reinstall the trigger pins and make sure they are installed correctly. See if the they walk out again, you may have out of spec pins or reciever.

duece71
06-24-12, 21:25
Contact Colt if it continues again. They will make right on the problem.

Iraqgunz
06-24-12, 21:50
No company is above mistakes. Make sure that the fire control group is installed correctly and inspect it to make sure that there are no flaws. Then shoot again. If it fails, then contact Colt and tell them to make it right.

Proconsul
06-24-12, 23:21
Oh, I'm not worried about Colt quality - this is my eleventh Colt and I fully expect them to fall at different points of the bell curve. I got the Colts because the Colt bell curve has a higher mean a lower standard deviation than other manufacturers.

The reason I'm antsy is that the malfunction in question (which I understand is not unusual with walking trigger pins) was the sort of thing that at best brings a lot of unwanted curiosity at the range, and potentially a lot worse. As soon as it happened, the trigger froze up because the pin had separated and the spring leg had slid in between the pin and the receiver.

I'm just (i) anxious not to have the resulting malfunction recur at any time, (ii) not fiddle with it too much and open myself up to accusations of trying to play with the fire control group to make it happen again, (iii) taking proactive action to show that I'm actively trying to prevent recurrence (by installing the anti-walk pins).

I also am not eager to elevate the issue if it is resolved, hence my hesitation in calling Colt. Given the malfunction, I'm thinking they will err on the side of caution and have me send it in, which is a big pain in the ass given their current turnaround times and the hassle of shipping and then receiving a lower (delivery at my place is a nightmare unless I'm actually there to receive it). I'd rather not go through the brain damage if I can ensure the issue is fixed. The other side of me says the safest thing to do is just make the call, send it back to them and make it their problem rather than mine.

Iraqgunz
06-25-12, 23:05
I think you are being overdramatic about this whole thing, but that's just me.

Oh, I'm not worried about Colt quality - this is my eleventh Colt and I fully expect them to fall at different points of the bell curve. I got the Colts because the Colt bell curve has a higher mean a lower standard deviation than other manufacturers.

The reason I'm antsy is that the malfunction in question (which I understand is not unusual with walking trigger pins) was the sort of thing that at best brings a lot of unwanted curiosity at the range, and potentially a lot worse. As soon as it happened, the trigger froze up because the pin had separated and the spring leg had slid in between the pin and the receiver.

I'm just (i) anxious not to have the resulting malfunction recur at any time, (ii) not fiddle with it too much and open myself up to accusations of trying to play with the fire control group to make it happen again, (iii) taking proactive action to show that I'm actively trying to prevent recurrence (by installing the anti-walk pins).

I also am not eager to elevate the issue if it is resolved, hence my hesitation in calling Colt. Given the malfunction, I'm thinking they will err on the side of caution and have me send it in, which is a big pain in the ass given their current turnaround times and the hassle of shipping and then receiving a lower (delivery at my place is a nightmare unless I'm actually there to receive it). I'd rather not go through the brain damage if I can ensure the issue is fixed. The other side of me says the safest thing to do is just make the call, send it back to them and make it their problem rather than mine.

davidjinks
06-26-12, 17:44
860-232-4489

CMC Attention: Product Services
2 Talcott Road
West Hartford, CT 06110

The customer service at Colt has been spot on when ever I've called.

I agree with IG…Overdramatic.

Eric
06-27-12, 00:10
Could you take a photo of the FCG looking from the top? Be sure the legs on the hammer spring come from the underside and rest on top of the trigger pin. KNS pins should never be needed.