PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Torture tests?

Tzook
06-25-12, 10:08
Help me out here guys, I have a friend who simply doesn't "know better" yet. I'm hoping to change his mind, and I'm tired of hearing about how Taurus autos are "basically the same thing" and "Hey my friend shot 300 flawless rounds through one!"

Is anybody aware of any type of Glock-like torture test that has been done and documented on any Taurus auto?

Zhurdan
06-25-12, 10:28
Taurus Torture Test?

From the title, I thought this thread was about you being forced to own one. :D

Honestly, most of the accolades I've seen about Taurus were from folks who hovered around the "I shot three clips thru it with no problems... flawless!" crowd.

The other stories are horror stories of sub par customer service during repair. As if having bad customer service was the issues... IT HAD to go in for repair would be my complaint.

William B.
06-25-12, 10:36
There was a guy on here (last year maybe?) who had a Taurus semi-auto. IIRC he kept us updated periodically on its performance, but eventually got rid of it after it proved to be less reliable than he expected.

Tzook
06-25-12, 10:41
There was a guy on here (last year maybe?) who had a Taurus semi-auto. IIRC he kept us updated periodically on its performance, but eventually got rid of it after it proved to be less reliable than he expected.

I'll try to find that. That's pretty much what I'm after, just some documentation that they do indeed suck gigantic balls, with some documentation as to what broke after how many rounds, etc....

William B.
06-25-12, 10:49
http://178.79.146.247/showthread.php?t=51938&highlight=taurus

Here's the thread. It's not really a "torture test" as much as it is just a documentation of his results with his Taurus. He starts posting his results on page 2.

06-25-12, 13:26
Here is a blog about a Taurus (http://247shooter.blogspot.com/?view=magazine#!/). Don't know if it is what you are looking for (round counts are low), but it is something.

Spiffums
06-25-12, 15:59
If it's not a PT series gun, it SUCKS!

ST911
06-25-12, 16:34
Those inclined to engage in such explorations aren't even bothering with Taurus and the other off-brands. Truth be told, they are meeting the needs of the public that's buying them, who are primarily gun owners, maybe even gun carriers, but not gun shooters.

Tzook
06-25-12, 16:41
Those inclined to engage in such explorations aren't even bothering with Taurus and the other off-brands. Truth be told, they are meeting the needs of the public that's buying them, who are primarily gun owners, maybe even gun carriers, but not gun shooters.

Thats a valid point. Now that I think about it, you really would have to be an idiot to dump the money for ammo such a test would require into a Taurus.....

JodyH
06-26-12, 08:41
As a CCW instructor I see a lot of Taurus products.
The revolvers aren't horrible, but the semiautos are.
As soon as I see a Taurus semi show up, I get my Glock 19 loaner out because I know the Taurus is going to either break or malfunction constantly.
And my classes are <100 rounds in half a day.
Not much of a torture test, but few Taurus's complete it malfuntion free.

C4IGrant
06-26-12, 09:00
As the saying goes, "you can't fix stupid."

I would sign your friend up for a bunch of pistol classes and let him figure it out on his own.

C4

Dionysusigma
06-26-12, 09:25
If it's not a PT series gun, it SUCKS!

This. Had a PT92 that was accurate, reliable, comfortable, and easy to maintain (basically because it's a beefed-up M9 and that was the first pistol I had any real exposure to). I honestly wish I still had it, but it was traded off + cash for a particular Sig P220 that I'd had my eye on for years.

Their polymer pistols, though, I personally just can't trust. Even within a single magazine, I've experienced multiple failures to fire, unpredictable changes in trigger pull, and so forth. This was with a Millennium Pro 9mm using Federal 115gr FMJ, my baseline practice ammo.

agr1279
06-26-12, 11:32
The local community college where I teach LEO/CO classes bought 40 Tarus Revolvers the SW 686 clone for the price of 20 S&W's. Well lets just say they missed th QC check. Everyone of them had issues from the extraction rod being bent. to just about anything else that could be wrong. They are now back from the factory and we will see if they fixed the issues. I will let you know how that turned out.

Dan

Tzook
06-26-12, 11:52
I actually have had some experience with Taurus revolvers, and I won't talk shit on them. They don't lock up particularly tight, and aren't pretty or extremely accurate, but for the money you cold do worse....

I have never had any direct experience with one of their autos, so I figured I should find something more substantial than "they suck because everybody says so"

G.B.
06-27-12, 07:47
I owned a mil pro and a tcp both had problems. I gave them a shot and will never own anything from taurus again I don't care how good the price is. The problem with Taurus isn't Taurus its the consumer. Just like every other cheap crap company that now make almost every product out there. People don't care about quality if you'll give them a warranty. Mass producing parts and swapping out the ones that are faulty is cheaper and easier than actual qc. Go sign your buddy up on the Taurus forum. Only one I've ever seen with a complaint section. All you read on it too is how great Taurus is because they fixed my brand new gun in a week and didn't even charge me shipping. Although they are great for run malfunction drills

Shokr21
06-27-12, 10:11
My first 4 pistol purchases were Taurus.

Pt1911 that has run error free for me ~1200 rounds

pt111 compact 9mm, ran great with no issues
pt145 compact 45acp again ran with no issues

sold those two to fund a g19 gen4, that had issues right out of the box. Still happy with the swap, but in the effort of full disclosure it's important to note.

I also had a pt92, sold that to fund my g17.

Sample sizes and round counts were/are low but my Taurus pistols ran better than my glock pistols out of the box. Taurus was what I could afford at the time, and I was buying pistols without really "knowing".

I won't sell the pt1911, it shoots and I shoot it well. I don't pretend it's something it's not, it's a $500 1911 that rattles a little bit but still puts lead down range where I intended.

That's my take, Taurus pistols as a whole suck, I've seen them go tits up. That's why I went the route I did, offloading them to get glock.

mallowpufft
06-27-12, 10:24
IME Taurus autos can be made to function almost properly...
A PT-111 was my first ccw gun back when I hadn't a clue and couldn't justify the extra 200 for a reliable auto.
First 100 rounds : failure to feed properly. Occasional FTE / stovepipe that I figured was due to feed issues.
Polished feed ramp, had a local Smith check the mags over and I picked up a new magazine to try with.
Second 100 rounds :
No more feed issues but I couldn't make it a full may w/o an ejection issue.
Sent it to the factory along with original mags.
When it came back the paperwork said they had polished the rails and replaced mags, extractor and springs (didn't specify which) .
Next 100 rounds : flawless operation.
Next 500 rounds : not a single issue with it. Just a lack of faith on my part so I sold it to a Bubba at a gun show who thought it was the shit and bought an M&P.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Arik
06-27-12, 10:27
My first was a P145, compact .45acp. I had it from about 2002 to 2006. Never had a problem with it. Sold it for a CZ. I guess if you put out enough guns eventually a few will work fine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

cinco
06-27-12, 12:42
No expert by any means, but just my experience...

I have the Taurus TCP 738 in 380acp with black SS slide which is made here in the USA. When I was looking for a budget-priced 380 last year I researched the Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT, etc.

Each had their own little cult following of users with all sorts of tweeks and fixes for these little guns. All had reports of some issues. However, to my surprise, the Taurus seemed to be the one with less issues. This seemed contrary to all the Taurus nightmares out there (mostly Brazilian guns?) In addition it had some nice features like SS slide and last-round slide lock. Fit and finish was better than the LCP I fondled.

I was expecting at least some sort of issue at first. However, I was pleasantly surprised to feed 600 rounds of WWB through it first time out without any issues. It just ate it. I then shot Speer Gold Dot to test as the carry ammo and, again, no problem. Not a torture test at all but above average performance according to other reports with above noted 380's. Reasonably accurate even for this hack of a shot.

With any of these "budget" 380's, I'm not expecting long term durability. I wasn't expecting to pump 5000+ rounds through it. I know what I bought and hope it will remain RELIABLE, if kept to a moderate amount of shooting. Maybe I got lucky. So far I feel comfortable carrying it if need be. A G26 has replaced it as my "small carry" gun, but I would trust the TCP.

Dunno but perhaps being it was made here in the USA has resolved some issues. :confused:

Magic_Salad0892
06-27-12, 13:59
Anybody remember that thread that Robb Jensen posted about the Taurus revolver that came to his shop with an unfinished barrel?

novaDAK
06-27-12, 14:49
Anybody remember that thread that Robb Jensen posted about the Taurus revolver that came to his shop with an unfinished barrel?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=42789

agr1279
06-27-12, 15:13
A local gun shop had one that the barrel had not had it's final cut made. There was a grove just before the front sight. If you compared the other snubs there you can see they failedto cut the extra barrel length off.

Dan

cqbdriver
06-27-12, 15:17
I went through a Taurus torture test when I tried to order a screw that my Dad lost on his revolver. It has been several years. So, I can’t remember all the details except that it took over a year with Taurus sending the wrong screw three times.

After 3rd time, I called back & the lady who answered said she had sent out the screw & knew for a fact that she sent the correct screw. I sent her a photo with a caliper measuring the screw & the hole. I asked her to explain how a larger screw could fit in a smaller hole.

I never got the correct screw from them. I found a screw in my box of misc screws that would work. This made my Dad happy. He could now go back to using his Taurus 9-shot .22LR revolver as his primary home defense gun.

Also, the barrel was canted 5 degrees to the right. Dad said that it didn’t bother him because he could still hit what he was aiming at.

06-27-12, 16:28
I just got back from the local indoor range and a guy with a PT22 was having trouble today. RO had to call a cease fire because somehow the slide from the PT22 ended up forward of the firing line without the rest of the gun.

Not sure what the problem was. Owner tossed it in his range bag and started shooting something else.

gan1hck
06-27-12, 16:51
Bought a pt1911 because it was cheap.

Shot 1,000 rounds (fmj) in 2 days at a class...includes running the gun through the malfunction drills.

No problems.

Another 1000 rounds (fmj) at the range. No problems.

Another 500 or so rounds of various jhp/defensive type ammo....no problems.

I'm happy with the sub $700 1911

VIP3R 237
06-27-12, 17:31
My sister bought a TCP last year and she called me up saying she was having problems with extraction. I borrowed the gun, cleaned and oiled it and with just 20 rounds of Winchester white box 5 failed to extract.

I sent the gun back to taurus and they replaced the out of spec extractor and actually had a fast turn around of 8 days.

One of my good friends in the gun manager at the local sportsmans warehouse and he says he sees more taurus, ruger, and sigs come back with problems than any other mfgs.

So good CS, but shitty products.

MiamiCracker
06-27-12, 17:50
Taurus headquarters is in Miami, Fl so I am not surprised their pistols suck, coming from a Miami native.

williejc
06-28-12, 23:15
I too have a Taurus bias based on having owned several with mechanical issues. Have you noticed that they look good on the outside?

Once, while browsing at Harbor Freight, I asked a young female employee if their tools were any good. She replied, "They is if you don't use'em." As Skintop said, Taurus products are not sought by shooters.

HKBanger
06-29-12, 09:31
I have some friends who own Taurus handguns and they are all basically junk. Some are not a bad deal at $300, such as the Taurus 24/7 but it's still a below average gun that will not sustain high volumes of shooting. You always get what you pay for. Sometimes you even get less than you paid for, take for instance the Taurus' that cost $500-$700. The ones I've shot have always been jam-o-matic's. If you value your life, don't buy a Taurus.

TiroFijo
06-29-12, 15:43
In my experience (seen lots of them around here) the PT 92s, any generation, are good, durable, reliable guns. But the grip is less comfortable than a beretta, the fit and finish and accuracy inferior (still very usable), and the QC of small parts is spotty compared to berettas.