PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a P226 .22LR

beschatten
06-25-12, 18:11
Ended up buying a 226 in a .22lr cal.

Purpose of this was to introduce me to the Sig firearms family, and master the DA/SA. I'm told I can buy a 9mm conversion kit to use 9mm.

I was just wondering, I know the 22LR has some ftf and fte issues based on reports, but if I convert it to the 9mm, do the same issues occur? Or is it just the 22 kit that does it.

I haven't taken it out to the range, but some expectations would be nice
so I won't have a rage-fit when I go to the range.

SpankMonkey
06-25-12, 19:12
The P-226 has a long history of being a good gun in 9mm. In 22LR not so much. Sig has had QC issues over the last five years.

You should not have problems. The 226 is a great platform. Let us know how the 22 runs.

Suwannee Tim
06-25-12, 19:23
My experience with the 226 with a 22 kit is much like my experience with a 1911 22 kit and an 22 AR. It doesn't work worth a damn for several hundred shots then suddenly it begins working. From then on it works and works. I use Federal promotional hollow points in the 550 round box for all three guns. The early magazines didn't work correctly, I had to re-engineer them. Later mags worked out of the box.

beschatten
06-25-12, 21:17
any protips on what you did to your mags? i had a feeling it was a mag issue.

ammo preference? i'm gonna buy a 500 count box of 22lrs and just pummel it in 1 session.

Warg
06-25-12, 23:39
CCI mini mags. Runs very well for a 22 on these.

I've newer mags as well, so can't provide any guidance. One thing I did do was install followers and the mag plugs/springs from SigPower (https://www.collectors-society-slabs.com/shoppingcart/categories/Sig-22LR-Upgrade-Parts-*ORDER/) that will hold open the slide on the last round and allow loading to 15 rounds. These work well.

any protips on what you did to your mags? i had a feeling it was a mag issue.

ammo preference? i'm gonna buy a 500 count box of 22lrs and just pummel it in 1 session.

beschatten
06-26-12, 01:32
did you start with 226 in a 22lr or start with a 226 and get the conversion kit?

my goal is to grab the 9mm and make that my primary, but im worried that the frame to slide fit will be terrible.

WargameHub
06-26-12, 05:49
I got the kit for my 9mm P226. Using Federal it took a few hundred rounds to break in (slide fit wasnt the best) and even now sometimes the slide wont go into battery. Easy fix though as tge first time you pull the trigger it pushes it into place and DA fires it.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

Warg
06-26-12, 10:14
Same here- except I don't have the slide going into battery issue. The gun is flawless in 9mm mode and pretty reliable with the 22 conversion. I get FTF/FTEs about once or twice per 100 rounds.