PDA

View Full Version : Which Of These 2 Camo Patterns? AR-15

JasonZBell
06-25-12, 18:54
I want to surprise someone with a camo job on an AR build, but I am stuck between two different patterns that I know they would both like.

The camo is not going to be used for any environment concealment, hunting, hiding, etc. It is simply for the looks and will be a fun range gun that they can enjoy for years to come.

I was hoping you guys could chime in and tell me what you think. I am literally stuck between the two and I want to make a choice by the end of this week.

Options 1: (Desert Digital w/ White Base for lighter overall color)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Ztw8wosNaw8/T-jOQ5mg8TI/AAAAAAAAN_E/W8uf6N87pss/s700/What+Color+1%3F.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cKVTYXqsvRU/T-jOQLP0xYI/AAAAAAAAN-8/Nq1TXxPzpAo/s500/IMG_1747.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ouh0GtwU0fA/T-jOmlXtm0I/AAAAAAAAN_M/vs4cxEOofZw/s541/Color%3F1.tiff

Option 2: Arctic White (This was the original favorite BTW)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Ztd9BLr1-s0/T-jOoKIirCI/AAAAAAAAN_U/ivfpfoIwewE/s615/Digital_Snow_CRC.tiff

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-BCHnvWOQojQ/T-jOsObjVgI/AAAAAAAAN_c/l3_apdGsxuE/s640/SnowLeopardStock.jpg

This is the AR the work will be done on. Ignore the tactical light and mount, that is coming off for now.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bkdCRvzh4SA/T-j3itgWVXI/AAAAAAAAOAI/5D22wifdhsA/s1177/AR_Before_Dip.tiff

Dipped parts:

- Quad Rail & Magpul Covers
- GG&G Vert Grip
- Rainier Upper/S&W Lower Receiver, including dust cover
- Hogue Pistol Grip
- Aimpoint mount only
- Magpul CTR Stock
- A Couple Mags (Magpul's)

All other parts will be left black including the barrel, A2 front post, front sling attachment point, trigger, upper/lower pins, mag release, safety/fire selector, forward assist button, bolt catch, Aimpoint PRO, Magpul rear sight, delta ring, charging handle, buffer tube, buttstock pad, a couple mags.

I have an extra Magpul vert grip, OEM pistol grip and stock that I am going to keep in black so I can mix up the color pattern anytime I'd like.

Let me know your thoughts and thank you all.

IYAAYASwarrior
06-25-12, 18:59
For the stated intentions I personally like the Arctic digi...

JasonZBell
06-25-12, 19:08
For the stated intentions I personally like the Arctic digi...

My gut is telling me the Arctic White because it is a bit more unique, it doesn't need to blend into the environment (hell, it doesn't even snow where we live!) and it was the first one that I really kept coming back to. This is going to be for my Dad, who I already know likes both color patterns, so I am not worried about one versus the other. I just want others opinions and experiences, if any with either color. What they like/liked, disliked, etc. - More the merrier! :)

VIP3R 237
06-25-12, 19:09
thats a tough one, if it was me where i live in a desert id go desert dig, but on looks alone the arctic is pretty sick.

WARPIG [USMC]
06-25-12, 19:11
The Arctic is neat, but I'm partial to the desert digi...but I may be a little bias :p

TehLlama
06-25-12, 19:14
Purely looks?

I'd go MC or ATACS for the effort, although the Desert Digi over a tan cerakote really is far and away awesome looking. Same possible with an urban grey cerakote and the arctic, but not the same effect.

JasonZBell
06-25-12, 19:14
Environment is definitely not a consideration. It's going to be a run range gun that I want to look very nice and more unique than your typical black gun.

badness
06-25-12, 19:15
arctic for the win! I never saw that pattern before until i played that computer game modern warfare. Always thought it looked cool and it looks even cooler on a real gun. If i was the person receiving it, i would definitely choose the arctic. :D

Campbell
06-25-12, 19:18
Desert

JasonZBell
06-25-12, 19:19
Purely looks?

I'd go MC or ATACS for the effort, although the Desert Digi over a tan cerakote really is far and away awesome looking. Same possible with an urban grey cerakote and the arctic, but not the same effect.

I've definitely considered both A-TACS and if I wanted the gun to blend in, I'd go with the FG almost without question. However, looks alone, I'm very partial to the digital pattern. Plus, for some reason the white/black combo has always appealed to us.

The desert digital is more of the backup option in case the arctic white is a bit too bold...

JasonZBell
06-25-12, 19:21
So a near 50/50 split so far :)

Maybe I'll turn it into some special mocha mix digital pattern!

Shiz
06-25-12, 19:31
FWIW

You might find a little resistance asking about "looks only camo" here. This is more a site that leaves "fit and finish" for the tailors and car salesmen. Camo is useless if it does not perform a function on a fighting rifle.

That being said, I would go with tan, or the desert digi, as I live in the desert. Black is bad here.

cop1211
06-25-12, 19:32
ATACS or the desert digi

JasonZBell
06-25-12, 19:38
FWIW

You might find a little resistance asking about "looks only camo" here. This is more a site that leaves "fit and finish" for the tailors and car salesmen. Camo is useless if it does not perform a function on a fighting rifle.

That being said, I would go with tan, or the desert digi, as I live in the desert. Black is bad here.

I definitely expect a few to mention things like this and I respect everyone's opinion. That's why I'm asking for those opinions! But thanks for the heads up, I do appreciate all opinions.

JasonZBell
06-25-12, 19:42
ATACS or the desert digi

Which A-TACS do you like? To me, the FG just has a little too much green, but looks IDEAL for someone trying to blend into quite a few environments.

cop1211
06-25-12, 19:44
I like all the ATACS patterns.

moonshot
06-25-12, 19:57
My opinion is worth what you paid for it, but here goes. Camo alone - I like the desert, but on the black lower and upper, I'd pick the arctic (the black on the camo blends better with the black on the upper and lower).

JasonZBell
06-25-12, 20:03
My opinion is worth what you paid for it, but here goes. Camo alone - I like the desert, but on the black lower and upper, I'd pick the arctic (the black on the camo blends better with the black on the upper and lower).

Your free opinion is worth well more than I paid! Thanks

To be honest, I never considered keeping the upper/lower black while dipping the other parts. I've seen both versions in near full dip (aside from parts I listed as keeping black) and I personally prefer that look. However, I wouldn't complain if the upper/lower were left black. So many options for such an indecisive person... ME!

KrampusArms
06-25-12, 20:09
Do desert on the upper, & arctic on the lower.

El Cid
06-25-12, 20:10
Between those I would choose desert. I like the appearance of it better and if for some reason the rifle were pressed into service, it has earth tones that will reduce its signature.

That said, all the digital dips I've seen suffer from bending of the pattern. It just doesn't take so well to curves as other patterns. Check my thread in the custom build section of you want an idea of how it will wear over time. Also, I recommend FDE pieces as the base where you can as it WILL chip and wear. The FDE furniture makes this wear less obvious.

JasonZBell
06-25-12, 20:24
Between those I would choose desert. I like the appearance of it better and if for some reason the rifle were pressed into service, it has earth tones that will reduce its signature.

That said, all the digital dips I've seen suffer from bending of the pattern. It just doesn't take so well to curves as other patterns. Check my thread in the custom build section of you want an idea of how it will wear over time. Also, I recommend FDE pieces as the base where you can as it WILL chip and wear. The FDE furniture makes this wear less obvious.

Great advice and something I did not read about in my research. I will check out your thread. Thank you again.

Grease Monkey
06-25-12, 20:28
digi desert!

a0cake
06-25-12, 20:39
The basic question is "which looks cooler?"

Now, there is a gut-instinct, initial, visceral reaction to that question that could go either way.

But it's worth a bit of time to think about WHY certain "looks" that we identify as "cool" are, in fact, cool. Of course, "cool" is an entirely subjective idea, and there may be as many definitions as there are people answering the question.

For me, what looks "cool" is directly equivalent to what is most functional. My entire standard of attractiveness is directly and inseparably related to what is most functional. So the desert pattern is simultaneously more cool-looking and more functional.

So think, what would the person I'm buying this for define as cool? Would his personality be more likely to define cool by what is functional, or what is different? Since you know the person, you're in the best position to decide.

If the answer is functional, go with the desert.

If the answer is different, go with the arctic.

If it's some other standard, try to figure out which pattern best synthesizes with that standard.

zacii
06-25-12, 20:42
I like the Arctic one.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

loganp0916
06-25-12, 20:54
I'd go arctic

jpmuscle
06-25-12, 20:58
My vote goes for option 1.. never been a fan of the arctic stuff.

bookin
06-25-12, 21:01
The Arctic

JasonZBell
06-25-12, 22:00
The seesaw continues to teeder from one side to the other! How bold do I want to go? Hmmm.

Probably going to play it safe and hope I can get a similar result as the one in the picture. A bright white base, then the dip.

But I'll probably change my mind in about 20 minutes! ;)

ejskle
06-25-12, 22:28
Ha, I'll be the first to say that I HATE the look of the arctic. It just makes it look more like a toy. While some people think it's a bit cooler, it's a LOT riskier for a gift. You can't go wrong with desert digital (although I like the look of the regular desert a-tacs best myself).

JasonZBell
06-25-12, 22:56
Pretty sure it's Gonna be DD... Very light, bright base coat. hoping for it to look just like that first pic.

evosil98
06-25-12, 23:42
I would mix and match. Get the best of both worlds now that would be a unique rifle.

JasonZBell
06-26-12, 00:02
Dont complicate things!

badness
06-26-12, 00:14
dude, just forget the desert and artic patterns. Go digi pink camo.

http://762precision.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/pink-digital-ar-15-springfield-1911-a.jpg

blackgt85
06-26-12, 00:17
Since it is just gonna be a range toy, I would definitely go with the Arctic. If it were my rifle, I would do Urban Digital. Post pics when its done!

Justin

SMETNA
06-26-12, 00:22
"Any firearm should be a fighting weapon first and foremost. Any other use is a bonus" - paraphrasing Iraqguns

^ I agree with this. Although you state that this AR will only ever be a range toy, you don't know that for absolute certain. Shit happens.

Therefore, you can rule out Artic Camo because it doesn't snow where you are. Artic might even make that black rifle stick out MORE.

So my recommendation is Desert Digi or ATACS AU. Brown/tan blends pretty well everywhere.

Might as well kill two birds with one stone. Looks awesome + Blends well.

Done deal.

JasonZBell
06-26-12, 00:34
"Any firearm should be a fighting weapon first and foremost. Any other use is a bonus" - paraphrasing Iraqguns

^ I agree with this. Although you state that this AR will only ever be a range toy, you don't know that for absolute certain. Shit happens.

Therefore, you can rule out Artic Camo because it doesn't snow where you are. Artic might even make that black rifle stick out MORE.

So my recommendation is Desert Digi or ATACS AU. Brown/tan blends pretty well everywhere.

Might as well kill two birds with one stone. Looks awesome + Blends well.

Done deal.

I do agree with that logic, but until I put one of these 75grainers through a zombies melon, I'm not too worried in N. California! :)

SMETNA
06-26-12, 00:37
:rolleyes:

El Cid
06-26-12, 08:30
I do agree with that logic, but until I put one of these 75grainers through a zombies melon, I'm not too worried in N. California! :)

A little free advice before the wolves pounce... this board focuses more on a weapons functionality than its appearance. And zombie threads tend to fail as well. If the dip color/pattern truly has no relation to anything but personal preference, then none of our opinions will matter. If you came here to get swayed one way or another, expect us to push you towards a functional pattern/color combo.

I'm in the minority in that I had a rifle dipped. Most folks here will save the money and paint their rifles. This is not just because painting is significantly less expensive, but because any finish will wear with use. Even the undercoat (white in the case of the arctic dip) will come off the rifle exposing the original color. If the person for whom you are getting this done is going to baby the rifle in order to avoid hurting the finish... this is again, not the forum for that kind of discussion.

Good luck whatever you decide.

nwell2k3
06-26-12, 08:52
Arctic White

fallenromeo
06-26-12, 10:13
They are both pretty awesome. I personally lean towards the desert but either choice would be good.

JasonZBell
06-26-12, 10:33
A little free advice before the wolves pounce... this board focuses more on a weapons functionality than its appearance. And zombie threads tend to fail as well. If the dip color/pattern truly has no relation to anything but personal preference, then none of our opinions will matter. If you came here to get swayed one way or another, expect us to push you towards a functional pattern/color combo.

I'm in the minority in that I had a rifle dipped. Most folks here will save the money and paint their rifles. This is not just because painting is significantly less expensive, but because any finish will wear with use. Even the undercoat (white in the case of the arctic dip) will come off the rifle exposing the original color. If the person for whom you are getting this done is going to baby the rifle in order to avoid hurting the finish... this is again, not the forum for that kind of discussion.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Thank you again for the advice El Cid - and thank you for the link to the thread of your camo experiences. That was VERY helpful!

This thread isn't intended to be any kind of zombie, that was simply my response to someone's statement about the what-if scenarios and a well camo'd gun is what you wish you had at that point.

And again, I am not looking for anyone to decide for me. Since I have a lot less experience in firearms than most on here, because I have spend so much time and money into the build and because of the reason for the build, I simply would like others opinions on a couple choices, hopefully their reasoning and for the folks like you who have experience - for those experiences to be shared for me and for others who are considering the hydrographic process.

I didn't want to get into this, but the reason for this build is for my father, for two special occasions.

I built it as a surprise gift for my father who will not only be celebrating his 60th birthday in July, but his birthday also coincides with the same day he made the return trek back to Ft. Bragg from Vietnam.

I know he really likes the new, modern look of the digital patterns, and he has mentioned on a few occasions both Arctic White and Desert Digital as his favorites in the digital format. If I did not know better, I would probably get him something along the A-TACS or Woodlands pattern for the Vietnam blend. However, that may stir some bad memories and I want this to be a 100% fun gun, go to the range and shoot every couple weeks and be proud to show it to his buddies.

It's also going to be engraved to symbolize his service, but I need to find a local engraver who I trust first. Either way, whether some like it or hate it, I will post pictures when done.

JasonZBell
06-26-12, 14:58
Thank you everyone for the input so far. If anyone else is pondering whether or not to have their AR camouflaged using hydrographics, El Cid did provide a great read that explains his personal experiences with having his first build dipped in Multicam.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=88353

Now of course not all two jobs or outcomes are the same and each companies results will vary slightly in some case, but as a general "Here is my experience" thread, his should help those trying to decide on the pros/cons & do's and don'ts of having this method of camo applied to their AR's or any other firearm for that matter.

crowdog
06-26-12, 15:53
Option one

cz7
06-27-12, 00:15
a mix of light /dark od green chevrons [3''long by 1'' thick in center ] with flat earth brown background ....its a real world not airsoft ...

JasonZBell
06-27-12, 15:37
a mix of light /dark od green chevrons [3''long by 1'' thick in center ] with flat earth brown background ....its a real world not airsoft ...

I'm trying to picture this, but I am having a hard time.

For anyone interested, let me show you the options I was originally thinking of... Just to add to the indecisiveness! :) - I do still LOVE the A-TACS! Especially this first brown one...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-tHcAWB1yfHs/T-tsruKiPGI/AAAAAAAAOOE/PQCBExbxdkM/w871-h329-n-k/Option1.tiff

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-2Sw4SNIxCf8/T-tsrzSXAjI/AAAAAAAAOOM/Hg4BwDvRfYU/w464-h225-n-k/Option2.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-APtEyyFQYbA/T-ttaAf-ViI/AAAAAAAAOOs/l4xFf6fyURE/s900/NW001.jpg

3 AE
06-27-12, 15:47
I didn't want to get into this, but the reason for this build is for my father, for two special occasions.

I built it as a surprise gift for my father who will not only be celebrating his 60th birthday in July, but his birthday also coincides with the same day he made the return trek back to Ft. Bragg from Vietnam.

I know he really likes the new, modern look of the digital patterns, and he has mentioned on a few occasions both Arctic White and Desert Digital as his favorites in the digital format. If I did not know better, I would probably get him something along the A-TACS or Woodlands pattern for the Vietnam blend. However, that may stir some bad memories and I want this to be a 100% fun gun, go to the range and shoot every couple weeks and be proud to show it to his buddies.

It's also going to be engraved to symbolize his service, but I need to find a local engraver who I trust first. Either way, whether some like it or hate it, I will post pictures when done.

Now delete this post before your Dad sees it and it spoils his surprise! :D

JasonZBell
06-27-12, 15:55
Now delete this post before your Dad sees it and it spoils his surprise! :D

Ha, he can't even turn on a computer!

3 AE
06-29-12, 00:32
Ha, he can't even turn on a computer!

Never underestimate the ingenuity of your elders. They have managed to bring you into this world and still have hung in there long enough to make your day! Now he might not know how to turn on a computer and access this site, but I'm pretty damn sure he knows someone who can! Either way, that's a wonderful thing that you're doing for him. Rock on good son.

Javelinadave
06-29-12, 01:27
Arctic is the most unique but the A-TACS is freaking cool!

rob_s
06-29-12, 03:43
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bkdCRvzh4SA/T-j3itgWVXI/AAAAAAAAOAI/5D22wifdhsA/s1177/AR_Before_Dip.tiff.

I vote for this one.

feedramp
06-29-12, 07:01
Man, those both look pretty slick. I would recommend he shoots enough badguys with it to unlock both camos, that way he can just swap to whichever he feels like.

SOWT
06-29-12, 08:36
Desert, but I am biased against anything Artic.

JSantoro
06-29-12, 09:08
form-over-function garbage
America's Next Top Model tone
inevitable inclusion of imaginary undead nemeses
AND Analysis-Paralysis
...over paint.

This is an onion of gay.