PDA

View Full Version : 12 o'clock light mount and aiming lasers?

Armati
06-25-12, 22:42
Ok, so the LAV highly recommends the 12 o'clock mount for tac lights. That's cool and all, but how do you manage this with a PEQ-2 or PEQ-15?

Is anyone running a set up like this? It seems that most common lights would be too wide to not interfere with the IR laser/illuminator (Surefire X series, Insight MX series). Perhaps a Surefire Scout would be thin enough but I would like to hear from folks who have actually run this sort of set up.

Armati
06-25-12, 22:43
Just realized this is in the wrong forum - mods please move. Thanks.

PRGGodfather
06-26-12, 03:18
The Mossie Tactics Midnight Mount MT2400XXX series; ALL THREE of them -- were specifically designed to accommodate an X300 or TLR1 weaponlight at 12 o'clock in front whichever front sight you prefer, and NOT obstruct a PEQ mounted behind it.

This includes the latest MT2400TRN which replaces the standard retention nut on a Troy Front Sight and provides a mounting platform for the weaponlight. The MT2400TRN (Troy Rail Nut) is light, sturdy, maintains a complete sight radius -- and it flat-out works.

Hope that helps!

Be safe,
Alan

Buck
06-28-12, 19:15
Ok, so the LAV highly recommends the 12 o'clock mount for tac lights. That's cool and all, but how do you manage this with a PEQ-2 or PEQ-15?

Is anyone running a set up like this? It seems that most common lights would be too wide to not interfere with the IR laser/illuminator (Surefire X series, Insight MX series). Perhaps a Surefire Scout would be thin enough but I would like to hear from folks who have actually run this sort of set up.

Something like this???

http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1181243&postcount=66

ClearedHot
06-29-12, 05:39
I would be interested to see if there would be any reflection/backsplash from the X300/Mossie Mount when running a PEQ-2 with the IR illuminator fully unfocused in a flood beam.

Are the mounts still available for T&E?

TCBA_Joe
06-29-12, 20:43
All I can offer is an x300 at 12 on a DD FSP rail will not obstruct a DBAL^I2.

I set it up that way to play with it, but I'm sticking with a 9 O'Clock m600v

Guns-up.50
06-29-12, 20:51
Something like this???

http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1181243&postcount=66

This looks cool but have to ask, how does the mount work when that barrel heats up? Can you reach the light without hitting the barrel with you hands.

oef24
06-29-12, 23:49
I have wanted a mount like the Mossie Tactics for a while but with the picatinny rail upside down and higher (just under the front sight) so that an X400 or TLR-2 would be mounted and the laser would be just over the barrel.

Mossie Tactics...possible?

O

Ned Christiansen
06-30-12, 09:54
I have had that upside-down design out for years now but have only made them on a custom basis-- which is about to change.

highlighter
06-30-12, 12:17
This looks cool but have to ask, how does the mount work when that barrel heats up? Can you reach the light without hitting the barrel with you hands.

I am wondering the same thing.

Buck
06-30-12, 23:03

I am wondering the same thing.

That has not been an issue for me. There is a lot of good info and feedback in this thread, and I believe you will find the answers to your questions here... https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95251

S/F

B

Buck
06-30-12, 23:09
I have wanted a mount like the Mossie Tactics for a while but with the picatinny rail upside down and higher (just under the front sight) so that an X400 or TLR-2 would be mounted and the laser would be just over the barrel.

Mossie Tactics...possible?

O

Anything is possible, but there is nothing specific in the works to achieve that at this time... If I wanted to achieve that configuration right now, or in the near future, I would recommend looking at Ned's mount as a one of custom, or when he gets them into production...

I have had that upside-down design out for years now but have only made them on a custom basis-- which is about to change.

S/F

B

Buck
06-30-12, 23:13
I would be interested to see if there would be any reflection/backsplash from the X300/Mossie Mount when running a PEQ-2 with the IR illuminator fully unfocused in a flood beam.

Are the mounts still available for T&E?

For an Agency/Organization T&E contact john@battlecomp.com. There are a few requirements and some forms to fill out, but he can take care of you...

S/F

B

oef24
07-01-12, 23:41

Ned, I have been patiently awaiting for you to make a run. I still have the pictures you emailed me years ago. I'm pushing again to get it done! Thanks!

O

Ned Christiansen
07-02-12, 09:09
There is some activity in this direction this week. It's been way too long on this..... but my newly hired P2P team (Prototype to Production) team is working on it in our new offices high atop the Stark Tower Complex.

oef24
07-03-12, 00:32
There is some activity in this direction this week. It's been way too long on this..... but my newly hired P2P team (Prototype to Production) team is working on it in our new offices high atop the Stark Tower Complex.

Great to hear. Let me know when the first one is ready to ship. Thanks again.

O

M4Fundi
07-03-12, 02:02

Sounds Great! Ned you need a Pepper Potts to help get your stuff in Stark Tower out to the world;)

Armati
07-29-12, 10:15
I posted this in another thread but for the good of the cause I wanted to update this one:

.............................................................................................

So I got one - the 1913 rail model.

Firstly, it is a brilliant idea. It puts the light at the 12 o'clock which is the optimal position for it. I can put it on any issue AR and it even comes with it's own hex wrench.

However, I have had a few issues with it. Mounting it was a bit of a challenge. Maybe I am being a perfectionist but it seems rather difficult to get the mount line up perfectly straight with the bbl. I understand the FSB is a cast part and there may be no getting around this. I also understand we are talking about a flashlight mount so there is only so much precision you are going to need in flashlight. But, in order to get it even fairly straight I found I had to tap the mount with a light plastic hammer, adjust the screw, tap, adjust, tap, adjust...

The reason this was an issue for me is because (in my perfect world) I would like to mount an Insight M6X on this mount. Which brings me to the second issue I have the mount, can it be set any lower? There seems to be about a 1/4" of space between the base of the mount and the bbl. If we could use that extra 1/4" of space it would open up a lot of light options.

And this takes me to my third critique. You really have to play around with your light and laser combinations. The Surefire X200/300 works great with everything. However, with an Insight M3X (my favorite light) there seems to be clearance issues with my ATILLA-200. It seems that a PEQ-2 would have the same problem. I have not yet tried it with the PEQ-15 on my issue gun. If I cannot run the M3X with the PEQ-15 then I will most likely just stay with the X200.

However, now we come to the 4th issue. The rail could use to be a tad longer (maybe one to two rail spaces). There is very little clearance behind the light. For me, reaching out that far to actuate a thumb switch, while running an IR laser, is just not going to work. I need a remote switch. You can easily use an Insight or Streamlight remote switch on the mount as is. However, if I am forced use a Surefire X200 in conjunction with my laser I will need the surefire XT07 type remote. There does not seem to be enough clearance between the light and the FSB to allow for this option. Now I am looking at possibly using a Surefire Scout.

All in all, the Mossie Tactics mount is great idea and will work just fine for most civilian and LE users who just need to add a good tac light at the 12 o'clock without a lot of expense or additional gunsmithing. If you are a serious hobbyist or .mil user, be mentally prepared to try several combinations of lights and lasers before you hit the sweet spot.