PDA

View Full Version : The "Buffett" Amendment

montanadave
06-26-12, 08:38
So there's an e-mail making the rounds (again) referring to the "Buffett" amendment or a proposed 28th Amendment called the "Congressional Reform Act of 2011."

While referring to the proposed amendment as the "Buffett" amendment is a bit of a misnomer, as Warren Buffet didn't cook up the proposed amendment, one of the key provisions of the amendment did originate from a comment made by Buffett on CNBC, when he proposed fixing the federal deficit by passing a law which made any sitting member of Congress ineligible for reelection if the deficit exceeds 3% of GDP. (http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/buffett.asp)

Snopes reports this email actually surfaced back in 2009 and the current iteration is simply a retread. I searched for threads discussing this proposed amendment but came up empty. Regardless, I would be interested in what members think about the substance of the proposed 28th amendment. The version of the amendment I present below is excerpted from a copy of the e-mail chain letter reported by the Wall Street Journal originally printed in late 2011 (http://blogs.wsj.com/totalreturn/2011/10/28/the-warren-buffett-chain-letter/).

Congressional Reform Act of 2011

1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term’s [sic], then go home and back to work.

I realize this may be old news to some; for others, this may be the first time they've seen it. I'm just wondering why this has not gotten more traction, given the bipartisan disgust with Congress and its perpetually abysmal favorability ratings in national polls.

And, on a more informal note, I'm tired of this practice of referring to these elected humps as "Congressman X" and "Speaker Y" or "Governor Z" in perpetuity. They can use the honorific while in office, but when their term is up they go back to being Joe Citizen and get called Mister just like everyone else.

GTifosi
06-26-12, 14:07
Even if such a thing did exist and come up for debate, does anyone really think that the people it involves would remotely consider it for passage?
If you believe that, you probably believe that they'll pass term limits for the Senate and House sometime too.

Optimistic, noble, and yet still just a wishful fantasy.
Better to dream of unicorns coming back. The odds are more in favor of it and they aren't real either.

]I'm tired of this practice of referring to these elected humps as "Congressman X" and "Speaker Y" or "Governor Z" in perpetuity. They can use the honorific while in office, but when their term is up they go back to being Joe Citizen and get called Mister just like everyone else.

I concur with the dropping of honorific titles once out of office.

But, do people really still say mister/miss/ma'am around your parts?

You must be in a better place in the world than me.
All they say around here is 'hey you', 'you guys', and occasionally 'yo! asshole!', and that's when they are being extra polite and curtious.

Next you're going to be saying some BS like that they hold doors for ladies and then walk to the building side of them down the street, where they take an arm to guide them off the kerb and across the street. (its wasn't just a little old lady thing y'know)
Get over yourself and your lies and come back to reality! :)

nimdabew
06-26-12, 14:20
But, do people really still say mister/miss/ma'am around your parts?

Next you're going to be saying some BS like that they hold doors for ladies and then walk to the building side of them down the street, where they take an arm to guide them off the kerb and across the street. (its wasn't just a little old lady thing y'know)
Get over yourself and your lies and come back to reality! :)

Even though we might grow up in modern day society, some of us (me included) still give our seat up on the bus for a pregnant lady and hold open doors. I still call women ma'am unless I know them on a first name basis and even then, I don't assume I can unless they give me permission. I think I am in a minority as far as 20-somethings go though.

montanadave
06-26-12, 14:48
Yeah, I guess I'm a cultural/social anachronism. I still say please and thank you. I hold the door for folks. I pick up trash in the park where I walk my dogs and I pick up their dog shit. Hell, I even pick up other dog's shit because it gives all us dog owners a bad rep.

I suppose the world might be goin' to hell, but it'll get there soon enough without any extra help from me. And who knows, it just might convince someone else to be a tad more civil as well.

3 AE
06-26-12, 15:42
I believe term limits need to be seriously considered. It's starting already at the state and local levels. We give our President two terms or ten years max. I would like to see two six year terms as the limit for the Senate. They should change the present two year term for a Representative to a limit of 3- four year terms. They seem to spend half of their term campaigning. Twelve years is enough. They can easily find another career in the private sector.