PDA

View Full Version : Headspacing and gauges

Caduceus
06-26-12, 12:14
OK, having read some of the headspace threads, I now have a few questions.

I bought a used 16" LMT complete upper from the EE. Approx 500 rounds shot, per the original owner. I have a new, unfired LMT BCG and bolt ready to go in. I realize I should be OK, but I'd prefer to check the headspace, just to be safe.

The problem is, which one? I've read the field gauge is typically ''good enough,'' though the DOD branches use either the go or no-go gauges before they go to the field gauge.

Good sources? For example, Brownell's has a field gauge from Colt, but it's labeled .223. Same for the Go and No-go gauges sold (Forster brand)

Any suggestions as to appropriate gauge (or gauges), and which to really check, would be appreciated.

MarkG
06-26-12, 12:38
OK, having read some of the headspace threads, I now have a few questions.

Please keep reading...

Headspace Threads Ad Nauseam (https://www.m4carbine.net/gtsearch.php?cx=003496919632624929056%3Adhiwgm0hbaa&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=headspace&siteurl=www.m4carbine.net%2Fforum.php&ref=www.m4carbine.net%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D107961)

JSantoro
06-26-12, 13:11
...and, if you have new info to pass, or an unaddressed question to ask, do so in an existing thread instead of opening a new, needlessly repetitive one.