PDA

View Full Version : M&P mid size .45

silvery37
06-26-12, 16:37
I have been shooting for a while and have owned several different brands/types of pistols. Out of everything I havent found a pistol that will match the M&P 45 for accuracy and reliability.

When I bought the M&P 45 I also had an apex sear installed and trijicon HD sights. There is no other gun that I shoot as well as this one. It has run flawlessly. I am certainly not a bullseye shooter but I have been focusing on this aspect of pistol shooting more and the M&P 45 has put out the best groups I have ever shot out of anything and this is with winchester white box.

I also have a recent production M&P .40 and this pistol has also impressed me with its reliability but I still cannot shoot it like I do the .45. I think this is combination of the heavier recoil and stock trigger.

I wanted to post this to show what the .45 can do. These groups are both off hand with winchester white box

7 yards, 10 rounds

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5417/imag0492c.jpg
By silvery37 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/silvery37) at 2012-06-26

25 yards, 10 rounds. Pulled one a little high...

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6311/imag0491l.jpg
By silvery37 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/silvery37) at 2012-06-26

Outside edge of the gray line to outside edge is around 5 1/2 inches.

LtNovakUSA
06-26-12, 17:09
Great shooting! I have to agree with your views on the Mid-Size M&P45. Mine has been a pleasure to shoot, Im closing in on 3k rounds and have yet to have a malfunction. Also I really dig the size, its pretty compact for a 45. The magazines that it came with had some wonky springs, but S+W hooked me up with some good ones. Good call on the Apex kit by the way, I feel that it does add significantly to the feel of the trigger.

silvery37
06-27-12, 10:37
I have no doubts that with premium ammo and a rest this pistol could produce 2 inch groups at 25.

OldState
06-27-12, 11:26
I shot 1200 rounds (mostly reloads of assorted bullet type and load) and attend one class with my new FS 45. I was a Bullseye shooter and am very familiar with accuraized 1911's and what they can do. The M&P 45 is OUTSTANDING.

I personally do not understand the point of the midsize; but that is another discussion (I do like the versatility the compact offers though).

I have mine set up with an APEX FSS trigger and a thumb safety. With the small grip insert it is as close to a 1911 as I could imagine.

I also put a 10-8 rear sight which is great but not ideal for precision shooting. However, with 230 grain lead reloads I was able to tear one 2 inch hole benched at 50 feet with 10 shots. I believe the mechanical accuracy is even better but I don't own a ransom rest.

Recoil is only about maybe 5% greater than a steel 1911. I had one FTF in 1200 rounds that was due to wax build up under the extractor from shooting 500 lead bullets without cleaning. The breach face(and the whole gun) is MUCH cleaner with plated or jacketed bullets.

I only cleaned it once, at around 800 rounds, however I did scrap off the wax with a dental pic when I got home after the FTF.

Hogsgunwild
06-27-12, 11:30
Yes, the gun is always a pleasure to shoot. S&W seems to have manufactured them with very consistent quality control as well.

The M&P in .40 S&W seems to work well for many but I found out (much to my surprise) that I do not shoot it well. I have rented the VTAC twice now and with less than 100 rounds through it I had no desire to try to become proficient with it. So much different than my
45 M&Ps.

I have found that I shoot the Walther PPQ in 40 and 9MM as accurately as the M&P 45 midsize, so, I have parked my 9MM M&Ps for awhile and am sticking with the Walthers. The M&P 45 midsize really spoiled me in the accuracy department and now I have come to demand that level of accuracy in my other calibers which, unfortunately, Smith and Wesson could not deliver in 40 and 9MM (for me).

.45fmjoe
06-28-12, 20:51
Once the new trigger is rolled out to the entire line, I'm buying one. :cool:

RepeatDefender
06-29-12, 08:50
Out of my 4 M&P's, my 45 mid is my favorite too.

jbourneidentity
07-01-12, 00:28
Obviously it's not a 9mm M&P because there are rounds on the target.

Outstanding shooting. Wise caliber choice in the M&P.

ralph
07-01-12, 08:53
Once the new trigger is rolled out to the entire line, I'm buying one. :cool:

I don't even think I'd wait that long..buy one, and get a Apex FSS trigger, and you'll end up with a much better trigger than anything from the factory.. In the summer newsletter I got from Apex, The polymer triggered version of the FSS is due to come out within a month, as they are already in production. these should cost alot less...

jwfuhrman
07-01-12, 09:44

damn thats just ignorant, out of the 4 different 9mm M&P's I own, non of them have accuracy issues.

I have 9mm Compact, 9mm shield, 9mm Pro 5" and 9mm 4.25".

I use the 4.25" 90% of the time with mostly 147 American Eagle and have no problems with rounds on target at 50 yards.

smitty704
07-01-12, 10:57
I love the M&P 45. I owned the 45c but traded it a week ago for an M&P full size 9mm and love it!

I didn't sell it because I had problems though. I owned the gun for over 1 year and had over 4,000 rounds down the pipe with zero failures of any kind. It was a great little gun, I just wanted a full size M&P 9, that's all.

The 45c is nice because you have more versatility than the 45 full size or midsize IMO. When I would carry it I would carry with a compact 8 round mag in the pistol, with a 10 round full size mag as a backup. When I changed my primary carry gun to a Glock 19 I kept the 45c beside the bed with a full size mag with an x-grip on.

You get everything in the 45c that you get with the midsize when the x-grip(or other adapter of choice) is installed. Plus with the 45c you get the shorter frame that I find easier to conceal.

Any way you look at it, you can't go wrong with an M&P regardless of the size or caliber.

P.S.- nice shooting brother!

smitty704
07-01-12, 10:59

My M&P 9 full size is flawless. I traded my 45c for it a week ago. It's a 2010 model with the older style sear housing.

Just installed the Apex DCAEK and have the RAM in the way. :dance3:

Killjoy
07-01-12, 11:44
I've put at least 5000 rounds through my mid-size M&P mid size with zero issues, and its as accurate as any other pistol of similar size and handling characteristics I've shot.

Also have an M&P 9mm mid size, with no accuracy issues to speak of.

bbates
07-01-12, 11:51
nice shot group

smitty704
07-02-12, 00:15
I've put at least 5000 rounds through my mid-size M&P mid size with zero issues, and its as accurate as any other pistol of similar size and handling characteristics I've shot.

Also have an M&P 9mm mid size, with no accuracy issues to speak of.

What do you mean a "M&P 9mm mid size"? Is there a model I'm missing? If so I am buying it tomorrow! :)

Killjoy
07-02-12, 08:29
What do you mean a "M&P 9mm mid size"? Is there a model I'm missing? If so I am buying it tomorrow!

Sorry, full size! Got it confused with my M&P .45 :o

smitty704
07-02-12, 08:40
Sorry, full size! Got it confused with my M&P .45 :o

Whew! Ok, that makes more sense. Lol