PDA

View Full Version : Frog lube + cleaning barrel

andy311
06-26-12, 18:22
Hey,

I'm using frog lube to lube and clean my ar. As far as cleaning the barrel goes, what would be the proper procedure. Squirt some down when it is hot then run a patch through ?

Thanks

vicious_cb
06-26-12, 19:36
How about using a proper solvent instead of lube to clean your barrel?

piesandcheese
06-26-12, 19:42
There is a sticky thread dedicated to AR cleaning. You should check it out. As posted above; use a solvent to clean your barrel, not lube.

andy311
06-26-12, 19:59
ok, thank you

J_Dub_503
06-26-12, 21:52
:confused: FrogLube is a CLP and can be used for both cleaning & lubrication. Here is FrogLube's directions (http://www.froglube.com/Pressroom-FrogLube-Directions.htm). The influx is strong.

andy311
06-26-12, 22:17
:confused: FrogLube is a CLP and can be used for both cleaning & lubrication. Here is FrogLube's directions (http://www.froglube.com/Pressroom-FrogLube-Directions.htm). The influx is strong.

I have the directions, I guess my question is that where it says to "wipe off extra" would running a patch after use make sense / be the correct procedure ?

J_Dub_503
06-26-12, 22:33
I have the directions, I guess my question is that where it says to "wipe off extra" would running a patch after use make sense / be the correct procedure ?

Yes, once the barrel is seasoned and has cooled down, you can run a patch to wipe off the excess.

andy311
06-26-12, 22:40
Thank you J Dub

J_Dub_503
06-26-12, 22:44
Thank you J Dub

No Problem. Just keep in mind, everybody and their mom has a different way of cleaning their guns. Most are variations of the same, and some are lacking. It's up to you to find a method that suits you and stick with it.

bp7178
06-27-12, 00:08
When I used Froglube to clean the barrel, I placed some on a nylon brush and ran it down the bore. I later came back to it and brushed it out some more, ultimatley running patches through it until clean.

skullworks
06-27-12, 05:58
I either pour some FrogLube liquid onto a boresnake and run it through the barrel twice when I get back from the range, or; when at home doing proper cleaning, I pour some FrogLube onto a Dewey brush, then run it through the barrel a few times followed by a wet patch followed by a a dry patch or two.

FrogLube is not a copper solvent, but then I no longer worry about copper in my barrels - it takes care of all the corrosive stuff though.

andy311
06-27-12, 09:26
Thanks again for the replies. All that is kinda what I was thinking, just wanting some verification.

SWATcop556
06-27-12, 09:35
If you have any specific FrogLube questions you an always shoot Iraqgunz a PM. He's my go-to guy for FrogLube stuff.

FWIW I have switched over to only using FrogLube for everything.

I put some on a boresnake and run it through a few times and call it good.

wtheesfeld
06-27-12, 12:46
I agree with the boresnake+froglube as well. For a thourough scrubdown ill dip a bore brush in froglube, do a couple of passes, let it sit, and throw patches through until they are clean.

Btw watching the bcg get wetter and wetter as you shoot is really interesting. The mint smell gets old kind of fast though.

andy311
06-27-12, 15:00
Hell, compared to the stuff i used to use on my pistol the smell of froglube is more than welcome lol.

Pappabear
06-28-12, 03:14
I have not cleaned my barrels, but I always run a patch down the tube followed by a dry one.

Good shit. I use it on all my guns. Paste and lube.

yhmspecter
06-28-12, 09:00
I have gone the Frog Lube only route as well, and like others have stated I apply some liquid to a bore snake punch the bore twice or so, or the super rare occasions when I break out a cleaning rod and bore brush I apply some liquid to the bore brush run that through, followed by a few patches