PDA

View Full Version : HK P30 in .40?

Microalign
06-26-12, 21:54
I've been thinking about picking one of these up. I've shot the P30 9mm quite a bit and liked it a lot. I'm curious to know how the .40S&W P30 compares to the 9mm model as far as handling goes. You might ask, why not just get 9mm then?.......I use .40S&W on duty, and reload for it, so for logistics it makes more sense to get the P30 in .40. Thanks.

beschatten
06-26-12, 23:55
i rented one about 4 months ago. put about 200 rounds down range.

it's everything you would expect from an h&k gun, very reliable, accurate, and the mediocre trigger. the recoil is very minimal for a .40 s&w.

loupav
06-27-12, 10:23
I've been curious about one as well, might pick on up later in the year. But with me, I'm not a fan of the 40 at all. But I love my P30 9mm so much!

E-man930
06-27-12, 12:13
The fix for the trigger is to purchase one in LEM, then install the light FPB spring while keeping the LEM hammer and TRS springs. Adding a nickle plated sear spring will also improve the break... This results in a sharp, clean break, positive Glock like reset, and removal of the rubbery feel.

Tzook
06-27-12, 13:45
If you do spring for the P30, by god sir please get the LEM. I had a 9mm DA/SA and sold the thing because the trigger was so god awful I had no desire to ever shoot it.

Hogsgunwild
06-27-12, 16:41
Honestly, the LEM advice is the only way to roll on the H&K for me.

I own three .40 S&W H&Ks and my P2000 with the light LEM is my favorite of the three. My best H&K is my USP .45 with a light LEM.
The newer H&K's do not seem to touch the USP series on how good the LEM triggers are but they are still very nice and the way to go.

I have rented the .40 P30 several times and it shoots great. Very similar to the 9MM.

People here may get tired of me bringing up the Walther PPQ but here I go again. I have to tell you that I shot the P30 side by side with my PPQ after I bought it just to make sure that I had not short-changed myself and bought the wrong gun. I made the perfect choice as I found that I liked the PPQ much better than the P30 and had no regrets.

I just shot the .40 S&W PPQ this last weekend and could not believe how much I liked it or how accurate it was (fist sized cluster at 25 yards with fifty rounds). Rent one if you can. I am ordering one this week. The money I saved on my first PPQ over the P30 will pay for most of this PPQ.

apheod
06-27-12, 18:46
another recommendation for the LEM here. i had a DA/SA p2000 and a LEM p2000. the SA pull was nice, but the DA was atrocious. completely unworkable. i actually (i shit you not) had a nightmare once when i was very sick, running a 103 fever, where i had to defend myself and was trying to pull the trigger but i couldn't do it, it was too long and too hard. you don't want a trigger that gives you nightmares.

the LEM on the other hand is outstanding, best trigger i've ever had. i put the light springs in it and never looked back.

as far as the recoil of the .40 in the p30, if length isn't an issue for you, the p30L would give you a bit more weight out front, help keep that muzzle down some. i've personally never fired an HK in .40.

HKGuns
06-27-12, 19:33
What is this? Ladies night?

I guess none of you have any experience at all with a DAO revolver do you? If you did you'd think the HK DA pull was nothing. Please explain to me how the HK DA pull is any different or worse than any of the other DA first pulls?

The HK DA/SA trigger works just fine as do most others.

Swamprattler
06-27-12, 19:59
I have the HK P30s in both 9mm and 40. They are both DA/SA, and shoot great. For me, after shooting Glocks in 40 SW and Smith and Wessons in 40SW, the P30 is the best of the group, i.e. lightest recoil and most accurate. After trying the LEM, I have stayed with the DA/SA, and carry them C&L. Works best for me.

apheod
06-27-12, 20:56

I guess none of you have any experience at all with a DAO revolver do you? If you did you'd think the HK DA pull was nothing. Please explain to me how the HK DA pull is any different or worse than any of the other DA first pulls?

if you say so. i'm 6'2 200 lbs. i bench 280. i was shooting 1 inch groups at 15 yards with the p2000 in single action mode. i was shooting 4-5 inch groups at the same distance in DA mode. its a 12-14lb trigger pull. i put tens of thousands of rounds through the DA/SA p2000, i would guess 1500-2k with the DA pull. i spent quite a few range trips decocking after every shot trying to get used to the DA pull, as it was my main carry weapon at the time.

i shoot 1 inch groups with the LEM. i shoot 1 inch groups at 15 yards with my kahr k9 (DAO, much lighter and much smoother than the HK)

get off your HK leetist high horse. it's a shitty DA pull. my kahr's DA pull owns it. i have little revolver experience but my main carry is a kahr, so i have DA experience.

apheod
06-27-12, 21:30
I have the HK P30s in both 9mm and 40. They are both DA/SA, and shoot great. For me, after shooting Glocks in 40 SW and Smith and Wessons in 40SW, the P30 is the best of the group, i.e. lightest recoil and most accurate. After trying the LEM, I have stayed with the DA/SA, and carry them C&L. Works best for me.

i did forget that the safety feature is available on the p30. having the ability to carry cocked and locked might have changed my mind on the LEM VS DA/SA question. on the p2000, with the first shot being mandatory DA, it was hands down, LEM was the clear winner.

personally though, i prefer no safety on carry weapons.

Odglock
06-27-12, 21:55
I have both the 9mm and 40. They are both great guns. The 40 isn't much harder to shoot at all.

Hogsgunwild
06-27-12, 22:23

To this day, I still enjoy and do well shooting my REVOLVERS in DA mode. Why have two trigger pull weights in an automatic if you don't have to? The H&K DA trigger pull is crappy. Why screw with your accuracy potential on the first shot?

A LEM is not a bad compromise if you point your gun at people a lot but don't want to shoot them all (as in being a LEO).

MikeCLeonard
06-28-12, 00:49
To this day, I still enjoy and do well shooting my REVOLVERS in DA mode. Why have two trigger pull weights in an automatic if you don't have to? The H&K DA trigger pull is crappy. Why screw with your accuracy potential on the first shot?

A LEM is not a bad compromise if you point your gun at people a lot but don't want to shoot them all (as in being a LEO).

DA/SA = Good for safety reasons

I personally would rather have the first heavy pull and all the rest nice and light with the SA pull rather than all long light pulls with the LEM.

The LEM is a good compromise though.

Pappabear
06-28-12, 03:19
I had the long slide on both. The .40 will be great for you.

badness
06-28-12, 18:51
i don't own one in .40, but if i was in your situation i wouldn't hesitate for a second to get p30 in .40. It's your duty round and you reload for it. That's already enough reason to choose it over the 9mm model.

I own a p30 in 9mm, however the reasoning i chose 9mm was purely for cost. 9mm costs less, so i can shoot more of it. If that part didn't matter, i would have chosen the .40 as i like the round.

Microalign
06-28-12, 19:26
Thanks for all the helpful info. The LEM is definately appealing, but I don't want to stray too far from the familiarity of my duty P229 which is DA/SA. I put about 500rds through the P30 9mm V3 that I played around with, and one thing that I liked about it was that it's DA/SA trigger was very similar to my Sigs.

HKGuns
06-28-12, 22:50
get off your HK leetist high horse. it's a shitty DA pull. my kahr's DA pull owns it. i have little revolver experience but my main carry is a kahr, so i have DA experience.

Has nothing to do with "HK leetist high horse". Has everything to do with adjusting to the tool. No two triggers are the same and all DA/SA first trigger pulls are harder than SA or striker. As stated above, DA/SA first trigger pull is that way for a reason.

MegademiC
06-29-12, 01:19
Has nothing to do with "HK leetist high horse". Has everything to do with adjusting to the tool. No two triggers are the same and all DA/SA first trigger pulls are harder than SA or striker. As stated above, DA/SA first trigger pull is that way for a reason.

He stated he has da/sa experience the he thinks the HK DA sucks. I've dry fired some HKs and the DA has a lot of room for improvement. I dont have enought to experience to say if it just feels bad or is bad...

But I see a lot of people using the "adjust" attitude, and it only goes so far. If you have a gritty trigger or one so heavy and short you cannot control it perfectly - it is the guns fault. This is why many da/sa guns suck compared to the nice da on a revolver. All the revolvers I've shot had very smooth long DA and they shoot VERY well. My cz felt like pushing a stick on gravel. Thefore, I dont think comparing a da/sa to a revolver is a relavent comparison.

All that said, some fine sandpaper and emery cloth - or lots of dry-fire ussually work wonders.

Tzook
06-29-12, 08:42
It isn't the weight of the Hk triggers that makes them terrible.... It's the retarded amount of takeup, or length of travel that no trigger ever needs. It's far and away the worst DA/SA trigger that I've ever used.

HKBanger
06-29-12, 09:40
I don't understand why people bitch about HK triggers. I think the USP has one of the finest triggers out of any semi auto handgun that I've shot. Sure, the PPQ and a nice 1911 trigger come to mind when I think of a good trigger, but the USP is up there for me. It's not like you're supposed to be shooting in DA anyways. DA is just a safety feature, if you don't like it then pull your hammer back! Tada! :jester:

Don't listen to the naysayers who simply are drinking the Glock Kool-Aid (yes I own a Glock) or simply cannot fathom spending $700-$1000 on a handgun. The P30 in .40 is a helluva weapon but I'd probably go for the 9mm first. If your preference is .40 then that's cool too because no matter which caliber it's undoubtedly the best 9mm/.40 that money can buy.

montrala
06-29-12, 16:18
It isn't the weight of the Hk triggers that makes them terrible.... It's the retarded amount of takeup, or length of travel that no trigger ever needs. It's far and away the worst DA/SA trigger that I've ever used.

I always wondered why HK makes so crappy triggers. Initially I thought that it is reliability factor (and it is true to some extent), but it is easy to improve them without going into any problems (I did it in one of my competition used HKs). But I recently learned that this retarded amount of takeup, length of travel and reset fulfills requirements of German Police for service pistol (they have set minimum values for those). HK designs and makes pistols mostly and primary for international le/mil customers, with German Police (both federal and local) as one of biggest customers.

If you can not accept those trigger as "feature" of otherwise great pistols, there are several other offerings on the market. If you want nice SA trigger in bundle with some good German engineering - take Walther PPQ (it is banned from German Police use due to trigger, so Walther markets it as "special forces" pistol).

Personally, DA on P30 is OK for me, but I do not like SA there. So I also choose LEM (set up to some 5-6lb) and have it on all my HK pistols.

Hogsgunwild
06-29-12, 21:16
I always wondered why HK makes so crappy triggers. Initially I thought that it is reliability factor (and it is true to some extent), but it is easy to improve them without going into any problems (I did it in one of my competition used HKs). But I recently learned that this retarded amount of takeup, length of travel and reset fulfills requirements of German Police for service pistol (they have set minimum values for those). HK designs and makes pistols mostly and primary for international le/mil customers, with German Police (both federal and local) as one of biggest customers.

If you can not accept those trigger as "feature" of otherwise great pistols, there are several other offerings on the market. If you want nice SA trigger in bundle with some good German engineering - take Walther PPQ (it is banned from German Police use due to trigger, so Walther markets it as "special forces" pistol).

Personally, DA on P30 is OK for me, but I do not like SA there. So I also choose LEM (set up to some 5-6lb) and have it on all my HK pistols.

Hey Montrala, you could be a salesman for Walther. Anytime you tell people that things are banned, anywhere, people want them.
I like my PPQ better than my H&Ks, as good as the H&Ks are.

kmrtnsn
06-29-12, 22:20
I've been thinking about picking one of these up. I've shot the P30 9mm quite a bit and liked it a lot. I'm curious to know how the .40S&W P30 compares to the 9mm model as far as handling goes. You might ask, why not just get 9mm then?.......I use .40S&W on duty, and reload for it, so for logistics it makes more sense to get the P30 in .40. Thanks.

I say a little prayer everyday that my agency will eventually authorize the P30 .40 LEM as a POW.

azeriosu85
06-30-12, 13:54
should be picking my HK P30s .40 today!!! soo excited ,not bad for trading a Gen G19 and several mags for it eh?

EDITED: Also was a tad shocked when i went to get a few boxes of ammo for it, the $15 a box will take some getting used to hahaha! hopefully i can find some cheaper alternatives to my LGS supply

kmrtnsn
06-30-12, 13:56
should be picking my HK P30s .40 today!!! soo excited ,not bad for trading a Gen G19 and several mags for it eh?

EDITED: Also was a tad shocked when i went to get a few boxes of ammo for it, the $15 a box will take some getting used to hahaha! hopefully i can find some cheaper alternatives to my LGS supply

Buy your ammo by the case, the savings are huge, even when factoring in shipping.

jyo
06-30-12, 14:17
P30s are hard to come by here in Kalifornia---not on our "Safety list"---that said, there are ways to legally aquire a P30 here. I got a new P30S in 9mm DA/SA that has turned out to be a great pistol---one of my favorites. I have not fired a P30 in 40 cal so I can't comment on that, but shouldn't be too different---just a bit more kick. There seems to be quite a bit of talk about DA/SA vs LEM---I've shot a P2000 9mm with LEM and liked it fine (I also own a P2000 9mm DA/SA). The whole purpose of the DA/SA system is to carry the piece with the hammer down---virtually all shooting is done SA so really not a problem. It's NOT a 1911 and will NEVER have a trigger like a 1911, so get over it!

montrala
06-30-12, 14:45
Hey Montrala, you could be a salesman for Walther. Anytime you tell people that things are banned, anywhere, people want them.
I like my PPQ better than my H&Ks, as good as the H&Ks are.

I'm actually well know HKool-Aid(tm) drinker :jester:

But PPQ is next in line to HK, especially with some Polish involvement in this pistol ;)

scoob
06-30-12, 16:16
I think you should go with the P30 as well. Its a great gun and in my opinion has the best feeling grip in the business. Like some said before, I would go LEM as well. A guy I work with sent his in to HK to have a trigger job done afterwards and the results were amazing. Best DAO trigger I have ever felt. Granted, the Walther reset is pretty incredible.

Alaskapopo
12-01-12, 23:06
I don't understand why people bitch about HK triggers. I think the USP has one of the finest triggers out of any semi auto handgun that I've shot. Sure, the PPQ and a nice 1911 trigger come to mind when I think of a good trigger, but the USP is up there for me. It's not like you're supposed to be shooting in DA anyways. DA is just a safety feature, if you don't like it then pull your hammer back! Tada! :jester:

Don't listen to the naysayers who simply are drinking the Glock Kool-Aid (yes I own a Glock) or simply cannot fathom spending $700-$1000 on a handgun. The P30 in .40 is a helluva weapon but I'd probably go for the 9mm first. If your preference is .40 then that's cool too because no matter which caliber it's undoubtedly the best 9mm/.40 that money can buy.

Thumbing the hammer back in a confrontation is not practical with any degree of speed. I carried a HK USP in 45 for the frist part of my career. The trigger in DA was horrid and the SA was just so so. Glad I sold that pistol. The best is often open to interpretation. The P30 is a solid pistol. But I would much rather keep my Glock 17 or 19. I would rather have a PPQ or a M&P in fact the P30 is down on my list for guns I would consider carrying.

Pat

montrala
12-02-12, 05:39
in fact the P30 is down on my list for guns I would consider carrying.

We know. Just after Hi-Point :sarcastic:

Magic_Salad0892
12-02-12, 06:02
The fix for the trigger is to purchase one in LEM, then install the light FPB spring while keeping the LEM hammer and TRS springs. Adding a nickle plated sear spring will also improve the break... This results in a sharp, clean break, positive Glock like reset, and removal of the rubbery feel.

+1

A friend of mine runs that exact same setup. It's great, for an HK.

I believe Todd Green runs a setup very similar as well.

AJD
12-02-12, 08:47
I have shot the cz75, p226, p220, 39-2, pp, ppk, usp9, usp45, hk45, 92fs and the p30 and the best was a German p226 from 1998. Hk wise the p30 isn't bad but the problem is the hammer doesn't go to half cock when you decock the gun like it does with the Usp which makes it really long in pull length. Honestly though I used to be a huge trigger snob but then discovered that learning to shoot on a host of da guns has actually dramatically improved my trigger control and now all the da guns seem the same to me on that first pull.

Beat Trash
12-02-12, 08:53
Thanks for all the helpful info. The LEM is definately appealing, but I don't want to stray too far from the familiarity of my duty P229 which is DA/SA. I put about 500rds through the P30 9mm V3 that I played around with, and one thing that I liked about it was that it's DA/SA trigger was very similar to my Sigs.

In your case, I would definitely stay with the DA/SA V3.

Hunter Rose
12-02-12, 15:05
Has anyone measured the weight of the PPQ trigger? I tried the PPQ out locally and the trigger is very nice but man it is light. For all those advocating the PPQ for carry, any reservations over he trigger being TOO light? Seems comparable to the weight/trigger travel of a 1911 but most would not advocate carrying a 1911 without using the manual safety.

If they made a PPQ with manual safety I think I word give it a try.

As for the P30, I've always felt HK's DA is crappy. SA cocked and locked or LEM have always seemed to make the most sense with the USP, P30, HK45. It is frustrating, because HK can put a good trigger on a pistol. The P7 and P9 have very nice triggers.

Magic_Salad0892
12-02-12, 22:30
Has anyone measured the weight of the PPQ trigger? I tried the PPQ out locally and the trigger is very nice but man it is light. For all those advocating the PPQ for carry, any reservations over he trigger being TOO light? Seems comparable to the weight/trigger travel of a 1911 but most would not advocate carrying a 1911 without using the manual safety.

As for the P30, I've always felt HK's DA is crappy. SA cocked and locked or LEM have always seemed to make the most sense with the USP, P30, HK45. It is frustrating, because HK can put a good trigger on a pistol. The P7 and P9 have very nice triggers.

See Montrala's post earlier.

Also, I remember reading here that the PPQ's trigger pull was about 4.5 lbs. My girlfriend's PPQ seems to be about 5lbs. Very good pull, she loves it.

Alaskapopo
12-02-12, 22:38

I got a PPQ for a friend of mine last year. The trigger is excellent and not too life for carry at all. It feels like 4.5 pounds to me but that is feel. Its about the same weight as my tuned Glock triggers that I use on my carry and work guns.
Pat

DrMoebius
12-03-12, 00:25
I remember reading here that the PPQ's trigger pull was about 4.5 lbs

For all those advocating the PPQ for carry, any reservations over he trigger being TOO light? Seems comparable to the weight/trigger travel of a 1911 but most would not advocate carrying a 1911 without using the manual safety.

I got a PPQ for a friend of mine last year. The trigger is excellent and not too life for carry at all. It feels like 4.5 pounds to me but that is feel. The PPQ trigger is factory set at 5.5 lbs, +/- a tenth of a pound. Look under "Quick Defense Trigger" in green in the feature sheet below. I've read some people post that theirs were tested on a gauge as low as ~5.2 lbs, but 4.5 lbs would be way off - even after a few thousand rounds.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Walther/upload/images/cat_page_ppq_tech_lg.jpg

Alaskapopo
12-03-12, 00:47
We know. Just after Hi-Point :sarcastic:

Not sure where you got that idea. HK makes good pistols but their triggers are less than ideal.

My list is.
1. Glock
2. M&P
3. Walther PPQ
4. HK
Pat

montrala
12-03-12, 06:38
Not sure where you got that idea. HK makes good pistols but their triggers are less than ideal.

I just read your rants on how bad HKs are in lot of different threads, so I assumed nothing can be so bad, even Hi-Point. Hi-Point is at least striker fired, so it is light years ahead of obsolete, high bore axis, hammer fired, DA/SA HKs! :D

Come on, lighten up ;)