PDA

View Full Version : XD40

newguy
06-26-12, 22:40
I got a chance to get XD 40 4in service model.

Like new/for $300.00 .With night sights.

Does this sound like a good deal?

How would you rate an xd against other guns out there?

montanadave
06-26-12, 23:45
Well, you picked the right screen name. :laugh:

I suggest you try the search button. And I'm not trying to be a dick. Just search, read, and more will be revealed.

Jonny4523
07-02-12, 11:31
I like the XDs personally. I run one for USPSA production and it has never let me down. $300 would be a good price. Do you know how old it is? I can't remember right away, but there was a certain point (way before the XDM era) that they switched from an old coating on the slide that wore easily to what they use now (melonite). I want to say it was sometime around 2005.

I try not take into account that fact that they have night sights unless your absolutely sure you're going to keep them installed. I almost always end up switching the sights to something else.

As far as the trigger, it will need some work, as will any factory pistol. I've had quite a few XDs and an M&P. Factory triggers were horrible on all. The only factory trigger that I've liked right out of the box was on a Glock 36.

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? It all comes down to personal preference in how it feels in comparison to your M&Ps, Glocks, etc. If you can, shoot it (or at least handle it) and see for your yourself. I have no doubts about their reliability.

For $300, I'd take it.

goodoleboy
07-02-12, 21:05
A little bit of advice that hopefully will save you the trouble I had with an XD. I had a small pebble fall into the mainspring housing of mine when I slipped and fell at the range. The pebble impinged the grip safety rendering the weapon totally useless. I couldn't rack the slide or fire the weapon. Had that been a life or death situation, rather than a fluke at the range, I would be a dead man. There is no reason whatsoever for that grip safety on an XD. I had to get the weapon back home (with one in the chamber, no less) and work on a hot weapon to clear the debris before I could clear the weapon.

That being said, I took my XD the following day and sold it and then bought a Glock. I have never regretted that decision.

davidz71
07-02-12, 22:56
I started with a 5" Tactical model blued when I noticed the blued finished was wearing off at the muzzle after just a few months of range use. I traded it on an XD40 4" model and have had it for over 5 years. I wish it had a shorter trigger reset but trigger smoothness is just fine. Have you looked at the XDM40 3.8? I like the grip and trigger just a tad better but at $300 you can't go wrong with the XD40.

CaptainDooley
07-03-12, 11:20
For right around $300 you should be able to find a police-trade in Glock that would server you much, much better.

brickboy240
07-03-12, 11:29
Not much love on this site for anything XD.

- brickboy240

Glock30
07-03-12, 18:24
I'm not trying to be a dick.

Well.....you are! Congrats! Just answer the question next time or keep it moving :suicide:

I got a chance to get XD 40 4in service model.

Like new/for $300.00 .With night sights.

Does this sound like a good deal?

How would you rate an xd against other guns out there?

That seems to be an excellent price depending on condition of the gun. Does it come with all the XD goodies? Just to give you an idea, I sold an XD9 a few weeks ago with the complete carrying case, 2 mags, holster, etc.. for $400

Jonny4523
07-03-12, 18:36
You should buy it and use the money you just saved to send it here for some trigger work.

http://www.springerprecision.com/

High Tower
07-03-12, 19:23
It is a good deal if its in good condition.

What are you planning on using it for? It can be fun to plink with or compete with, but I would never use one for home defense or concealed carry. They are not known for reliability (except with their cult fan base.)

Littlelebowski
07-03-12, 19:26
Well.....you are! Congrats! Just answer the question next time or keep it moving

Bullshit. That was sound and polite enough advice. Grow a thicker skin.

packinaglock
07-03-12, 19:36
Bullshit. That was sound and polite enough advice. Grow a thicker skin.

Beat me to it.

Endur
07-03-12, 20:57
XDs are good pistols, they have their faults just like any other pistol. Some t&es done by people with more experience and trigger time then most here refute the issues known, some confirm them. Same with many other beloved pistols. Get one or don't, like it, love it or hate it. That said I hope they continue to improve on it because it has potential to be excellent. I plan to own one again but there are others higher on my list to own.

I would still take one over a new gen sig any day.

Glock30
07-04-12, 09:00
XDs are good pistols, they have their faults just like any other pistol. Some t&es done by people with more experience and trigger time then most here refute the issues known, some confirm them. Same with many other beloved pistols. Get one or don't, like it, love it or hate it. That said I hope they continue to improve on it because it has potential to be excellent. I plan to own one again but there are others higher on my list to own.

I would still take one over a new gen sig any day.

Nicely said.

I would take one over the new gen glock any day.

TCB
07-14-12, 20:32
I have a 5" XD45 that I used in a POST academy, a 2 day class and shot a number of USPSA matches with it. I have 4000+ (I know it's not that many) rounds on it with 2 FTFs (both because of an improperly seated mag.) (my fault). My (sample of 1) has ran extremely well with no drama. That being said I'd take a M&P over it (and did) these days.

Endur
07-14-12, 20:44
I have a 5" XD45 that I used in a POST academy, a 2 day class and shot a number of USPSA matches with it. I have 4000+ (I know it's not that many) rounds on it with 2 FTFs (both because of an improperly seated mag.) (my fault). My (sample of 1) has ran extremely well with no drama. That being said I'd take a M&P over it (and did) these days.

I had a xdm 40 for a little over a year, and of that time all of it but like 3 months (not consecutive) was deployed. I had a bit over a 1000 rounds through it (not much but I didn't have a lot of time with training and stuff) and never had a malfunction. Though by no means does that prove anything but it shot well, good accuracy and was comfortable to shoot. I liked that pistol a lot but I sold it to one of my guys that was fairly new to the army and didn't have the money for a new pistol and while we were in the field someone tried to break into his house so he needed something his wife could use effectively. So I gave him a good deal on it and told him to give his wife some training.

My top choice polymers;
m&p
glock
xd

G34
07-14-12, 22:14
They make great range guns. I'm not being facetious, they really do.

That's all the farther I'd endorse it, I've shot one quite a bit and managed to make it fail pretty easily. When I tore the weapon down and checked it out, the only thing that stood out was dust from the environment had gunked up the grip safety. Did I mention the grip safety is ridiculously small and narrow so when it is working it's nothing to write home about?

Added: I forgot to mention the important part, when I cleaned the inside of the frame the weapon functioned again. There really wasn't anything noteworthy in there compared to what I usually see inside a handgun that's been out in Idaho dust for over a thousand rounds and didn't handle it exceptionally roughly. I wish I had pictures to show how dirty it was when this happened. Maybe somebody can jump in here with their own experience on the grip safety inducing a failure.

Endur
07-14-12, 22:19
That is one thing I do not like about them. Not that you can't one handed rack them (I could with mine) but the issue you had with dirt. They could have done without one or made it better.

G34
07-14-12, 22:35
That is one thing I do not like about them. Not that you can't one handed rack them (I could with mine) but the issue you had with dirt. They could have done without one or made it better.
I feel like the whole grip safety was pretty poorly executed.

Conceptually, it seems pretty awesome (again, not being facetious) - let's put a single action trigger on this thing and make up for it with a grip safety!

But in execution, the grip safety is not robust internally and any kind of light, crisp, short SA trigger that would justify it is in fact not there in the factory stock configuration. I'm not sure why they didn't take more inspiration from the 1911, it isn't exactly an obscure design that is easy to ignore. Also, the striker retaining roll pin breaking or coming out can be a show stopper too.

Other types break eventually or due to atmospheric factors, but it seems like the XD stops operating under what I'd consider normal use for other types fail with less. I do run my handguns in a dusty environment sometimes but that shouldn't be a factor, either. The infamous (at least by Joe anecdote) M9 can take a lot more as long as it's within its advertised service life.

Anyways, I know I am the much maligned internet sample size of one right now but I want to go out there and say the XD myths are true and wouldn't want anyone trusting their life to one.