PDA

View Full Version : How to remove front pivot (takedown) pin?

acaixguard
06-26-12, 23:05
I still get an issue where after cleaning my gun, if the pivot pin area runs dry inside, the detent tends to cause the pivot pin to get stuck, and it's hard to move it again without a punch/hammer. If I lube the hell out of the detent inside, then it will eventually start to move with finger pressure again.
I'm thinking the detent plunger is a bit sharp and may need to get looked at more closely. Can someone tell me how to properly remove the pivot pin and detent?
Thanks in advance!

Tweak
06-26-12, 23:58
Is there a small hole drilled through the pivot pin? You can push the detent out of the channel in the pivot pin with a pin punch or even a paper clip.

KrampusArms
06-27-12, 01:36
Is there a small hole drilled through the pivot pin? You can push the detent out of the channel in the pivot pin with a pin punch or even a paper clip.

Yes, just insert a paper clip or similar object into the hole with detent lined up, push detent back into that "Fence" it resides in,then rotate the pivot pin so the detent isnt captured by the groove. Carefully remove pivot pin from lower lugs, inside a plastic bag.

polymorpheous
06-27-12, 02:11
What lower/LPK is it?

If you are new to AR's I would recommend against disassembling the pivot pin assembly.
That pivot pin detent will come launching out of there if you don't know what you are doing.

Put a dab of grease in the channel and work the pin back and forth.
Wipe off the excess and drive on.
The pin will slightly loosen over time with more and more rounds fired through the rifle.

Suwannee Tim
06-27-12, 04:29
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26487/Product/PIVOT-PIN-DETENT-DEPRESSOR

There is a little hole at the far end of the spring / detent hole which you could use to insert oil. If you could get hold of a hypodermic syringe you could inject grease. I don't think I would try to take the thing apart to lube it.

berserk
06-27-12, 05:14
What lower/LPK is it?

If you are new to AR's I would recommend against disassembling the pivot pin assembly.
That pivot pin detent will come launching out of there if you don't know what you are doing.

Put a dab of grease in the channel and work the pin back and forth.
Wipe off the excess and drive on.
The pin will slightly loosen over time with more and more rounds fired through the rifle.

A trick I used when I did this is to put the lower half into a gallon zip lock bag and then reach in to take the pin out. And your right it did come flying out but was caught by the bag.

acaixguard
06-27-12, 09:32
Thanks for the help. Duh, I didn't even notice the hole in the pivot pin when opened. Guess I wasn't looking closely at the front of the receiver area.
What is the best way to de-burr the end of the detent pin if necessary? I don't have any metal files at home, but I do have some stones for knife sharpening. Was wondering if those would work on just removing any sharp edges on the end of the pin.

Raven Armament
06-27-12, 10:16
That might work.

As a note of caution often disregarded: Anytime you are working with gun springs, please wear eye protection. Even if you are doing the work in a plastic bag.

GTifosi
06-27-12, 13:25
What is the best way to de-burr the end of the detent pin if necessary? I don't have any metal files at home, but I do have some stones for knife sharpening. Was wondering if those would work on just removing any sharp edges on the end of the pin.

Alternatively, barring actual replacement, you can turn the detent around end for end.

They are machined to the same point at both ends, and the spring end generally gets significantly less wear or deformation than the pin end.

EDIT:
You may also desire to construct or purchase one of these to ease reassembly
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8362&d=1304791163

acaixguard
06-28-12, 13:26
Thanks again for the info. I was able to remove the pivot pin and didn't lose the detent pin thanks to the bag trick. Took a stone and smoothed out one end of the detent pin. Taking off the pivot pin was easy, but putting it on was a pain in the arse. Was tricky to get hold that small detent pin while trying to slide the pivot pin over that.
Anyhow, after that was done, the pivot pin pops open and closed much easier now.
Thanks again!