PDA

View Full Version : Heres an odd question: Hanguards, balance

TacticalMinivan
06-27-12, 02:35
Given equal weights, would a free float handgaurd be any less front heavy than a non free float?

(Being that the weight is anchored further to the rear, or is this made up by increased downward torque from gravity.)

Hey, I said it was odd..

hals1
06-27-12, 09:08
Given equal weights, would a free float handgaurd be any less front heavy than a non free float?

(Being that the weight is anchored further to the rear, or is this made up by increased downward torque from gravity.)
Hey, I said it was odd..

It makes no difference how or where it is secured. It depends solely on the CG of the handguard and where it is positioned.

Moltke
06-27-12, 09:30
You just blew my mind.

munch520
06-27-12, 15:27
You just blew my mind.

:haha: yep. This thread takes the cake for 'over-consideration of frivolous minutiae'.

More a factor of barrel length and profile vs stock type IMO. Some scoff at me for having an emod on a SBR. Truth is on my 12", it balances perfectly at T13. Balance wins over weight savings any day of the week.

fixit69
06-27-12, 15:57
I'm really not tracking this, but I would say no. As above
, center of gravity. Care to explain further?

Quentin
06-27-12, 19:24
Even if the FF and non-FF weigh and balance the same there's more to it. Are you going to use the standard FSB/sight or low-pro gas block and rail mounted sight. And which sight?

VIP3R 237
06-27-12, 19:31
heres a ar15 balance calculator vis Vuurwapenblog

http://vuurwapenblog.com/calc22.html