PDA

View Full Version : Building a new carbine: options for modular rails?

Skyyr
06-27-12, 10:14
I'm looking to build a new carbine before the election. I really don't want a full-railed fore-end (I would like them on top, but not the sides or bottom). I've seen some modular rail systems that are either completely rail-free or just have picatinny slots on top with the ability to add segments of rail as needed.

I really like Noveske's NSR platform. I've seen similar offerings from other companies as well. My main concern with committing to modular rails in general is the proprietary nature of them and concern for support after the fact.

Are their any modular rails systems that follow some de facto standard? Are there any that have been tested and proven?

Thanks in advance...

Split66
06-27-12, 10:33
I havent seen any "standard" between the DD 12.0, Troy VTAC tube etc etc.

With whatever system you go with just plan on buying extra parts ASAP. That way if they discontinue the product or some unforseen circumstances occur you will be covered.

As for testing in the real world, I know Kyle Lamb has been a big proponent of this type of system for years and did extensive work with JP enterprises and Troy industries. Seek out his writings and the extensive threads here @ M4C.

Good luck on your new carbine build!

wahoo95
06-27-12, 11:47
I have Troy TRX 13", Daniel Defense MFR 12", and MI Gen2 Free Float 12"

The MI Gen2 us my favorite so far. Solid mount up and the lightest of the bunch. Great size and feel.....and priced right.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/2012-06-03_19-19-29_437.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Servo
06-27-12, 15:33
+1 to the new MI gen 2 ss free float.
Direct mount rails, solid lock up, light, slim, and comes with a QD socket and the tool for the barrel nut. And on top of that it’s very well priced.