PDA

View Full Version : CCI military primers?

skyugo
01-19-08, 16:13
are they worth the extra couple bucks?

they say they're equivalent to a small magnum primer. That will change the load data won't it?

i was about to buy some ramshot TAC and some of the CCI mil primers, but if i can't find decent data on that setup i'll be kinda sunk...

5pins
01-19-08, 16:40
The mil primers are intended to help prevent slam fires. They are the same as the small mag primers otherwise. Go to the Ramshot website for data.

markm
01-21-08, 07:55
are they worth the extra couple bucks?

Not to me. I've never had any issues with regular CCI and WIN primers.

Kurt Reifert
01-21-08, 14:38
The hotter military primers are intended to ensure positive ignition in extreme temperatures.
Really cold weather can effect powder ignition and burn.
If I was going to use the ammo in the winter here in Michigan, I would definately use them.
I normally use Remington 7 1/2s.

TAC is a great powder for .223.

Phil Hirsh
01-22-08, 20:37
Are Remington Primers too soft for military rifles? I have used them in the past with good reults. Some say CCI primers are the way to go with .308 in an M1A. Opinions?

Kurt Reifert
01-23-08, 07:27
CCI uses the hardest primer cups of all the US manufacturers.
Many high-power shooters use the Rem 7 1/2 benchrest primers in their ARs with no problem.
I use the CCI #34s in my .308 ammo that will be fired in my M1A, but I have also shot quite a bit of Federal Gold Medal Match thru that rifle and Federal primers are said to be the softest. Go figure.