PDA

View Full Version : Glock Titanium Striker

platoonDaddy
06-27-12, 18:32
Today I received the "Glock Titanium Striker" (Item #LS002S) from the GlockStore and installed into my Gen 4 G17. Just dry firing, I am not impressed with the trigger pull, just doesn't feel right. Of course I don't know what I was expecting, just hoping for a faster lock time.

Will hit the range tomorrow or Friday and test it out live. Assume that is the only way to test "lock time". Just don't like the feel.

Will shortly post my testing results, was wonder if any of you have any experience with the "Titanium Striker" from GlockStore?

Thanks

apheod
06-27-12, 18:39
what is "lock time?" the time between pulling the trigger and the striker hitting the primer?

i can't really think of any benefits to having a titanium striker, other than durability, but if strikers are breaking, there are other problems.

M4Guru
06-27-12, 18:46
I have to ask....

Why?

Ti striker: NOT more durable, but in fact more brittle.

SWATcop556
06-27-12, 18:50
Why?

The $10 million question.

Shawn.L
06-27-12, 19:09
I have to ask....

Why?

I know when trying to "make weight" for USPSA production class guys will change out all of the small parts for Ti to help offset the sights, grip tape, recoil rod, ect.
I know some have been tricked into believing "faster lock time" or other such nonsense , and they claim the Ti plunger is lighter so that lightens the pull up when your on the hunt for the 1lb GLOCK trigger it all adds up.

platoonDaddy
06-27-12, 19:15

Not $10 million, but $94.99 :)

Lighter means faster strike, resulting in a faster shot and accuracy. At least that is the theory, therefore thought I would test.

Check out the video (1st two minutes or so):

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/21_Titanium+Striker+for+Glock/?return=%3ftpl%3Dsearch%26search_val%3Dls002s

apheod
06-27-12, 21:25
snake oil, IMHO.

vicious_cb
06-27-12, 22:32
Its also lighter meaning the chances of a light primer strike are higher.

tpd223
06-27-12, 22:57
These batter rather quickly and tend to get spots that peen badly.

My advice is to go back to the factory striker immediately.

As has been said, Ti Glock strikers are snake oil.

Confed-rifleman
06-28-12, 00:12
The faster lock time would help in bench-rest rifles and in shooting at long range but at handgun ranges any increase in accuracy would be negligable (likely, not even detectable) even for the best pistol shooters.

munch520
06-28-12, 08:59
I have to ask....

Why?

Definitely agree.

I've heard some that drop the LW striker spring in also go with the titanium striker to reduce light strikes?

I'm uneducated in this aspect though, I never mess with more than the connector or TRS.

ETA:

Not $10 million, but $94.99

You've GOT to be kidding me. $100?! Good lord. That's 526 rounds of 9mm you've got wrapped up in that firing pin.

MarkG
06-28-12, 09:21
I have to ask....

Why?

Agreed...

I doubt the firing pin is solid titanium. Its gold color leads me to believe it is TiN coated steel. If it were solid, whats the point of coating it?

Lock time is an irrelevant term on ANY modern firearm. Its one of those legacy terms used by gunsmiffs and online retailers to make you feel good about spending $95 on a striker. Its a different story if your shooting a gonnes or your pistol has a serpentine lock and uses a match or flint to ignite propellant.

PA PATRIOT
06-28-12, 13:31
Worthless, your paying 1/4 the price of a Glock pistol for a single Ti striker which at most quickens the firing pin strike by milliseconds. Plus its more brittle and I'M sure you cant just call the manufacturer for a free replacement should it chip or crack like you can with a Glock striker.

Magsz
06-28-12, 20:24
Worthless, your paying 1/4 the price of a Glock pistol for a single Ti striker which at most quickens the firing pin strike by milliseconds. Plus its more brittle and I'M sure you cant just call the manufacturer for a free replacement should it chip or crack like you can with a Glock striker.

Actually...

In the case of lightening strike they warranty their products.

Having said that, the lightening strike striker is well...garbage.

It degrades trigger pull feel, it does nothing at all.

The quality lightweight strikers ARE beneficial when running lighter striker springs because they have an EXTENDED tip. The extended tip helps with proper primer ignition.

The BEST lightweight striker on the market and the only one that should be considered is the JAGER products unit.

platoonDaddy
07-01-12, 15:03
Loaded 11 magazines and off to the range, the following are my observations:

1. trigger reset is certainly crisper

2. didn't increase accuracy :)

3. no markings on striker

Yes the product is warranted, glockStore also have a 30 day return no question return policy. Will throw more rounds downrange prior to popping smoke.

Thanks for all the comments|recommendations.

Mike from Texas
07-01-12, 20:40
Loaded 11 magazines and off to the range, the following are my observations:

1. trigger reset is certainly crisper

2. didn't increase accuracy :)

3. no markings on striker

Yes the product is warranted, glockStore also have a 30 day return no question return policy. Will throw more rounds downrange prior to popping smoke.

Thanks for all the comments|recommendations.

Explain to me how the striker has any affect on trigger reset?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

platoonDaddy
07-02-12, 04:39
Explain to me how the striker has any affect on trigger reset?

I don't know the mechanics, just know that on reset it certainly is crisper. Both in feel and sound over the factory. Have over 15K rounds downrange with the factory striker and certainly notice the difference between the two. When I initially tested the striker while dry firing, it didn't feel crisper. The difference is certainly when throwing lead downrange.

Grease Monkey
07-02-12, 14:29
I put a Ti striker and plunger in a g23 along with a 3.5lb connector. I could definately tell a difference with or without the connector being installed. Of course this was when actually firing live rounds. This was say somewhere around 10 years ago. I got the parts from the source at Bullseye here in GA unless they've since sold the lightning strike deal to someone else.

As far as being brittle, I don't think it will be an issue with a striker fired gun since it doesn't have a hammer pounding on it and the primer is fairly soft. Some high performance engines use Ti connecting rounds and they withstand alot. Much more than said striker.

Would I buy them again or think that it's worth the money? Short answer is NO.

Magsz
07-02-12, 22:10
Grease,

The striker is still pounding the breach face.

RagweedZulu
07-02-12, 23:19
I have to ask....

Why?

Exactly. And the faster lock time will not be noticeable in a handgun. You won't even see an accuracy improvement in a handgun. Was the stock striker somehow too slow for your purposes?

I gotta agree with the Snake Oil statement. Shooting your Glock will make YOU more accurate. Buying stuff to put in your gun only makes you poorer, and seriously affects the inherent reliability of a Glock. About 98% of the Glocks I've seen go down during hard training results from aftermarket crap in them. Replace sights with steel and then shoot the SOB. $94 woulda been a lot of training ammo.

Grease Monkey
07-03-12, 08:21
Grease,

The striker is still pounding the breach face.

Do you think the hitting of the primer softens the impact? I hadn't really considered it hitting the inside of the breach area. I could maybe see it being an issue dry firing.... IDK. Not sure if the amount of impact would be enough to damage it though. W/O actually performing some kind of durability test we won't actually know the limits of the striker.

Magsz
07-03-12, 09:46
Absolutely.

The primer does absorb energy but keep in mind how often we dry fire striker fired guns.

Im not even speaking of dry fire practice. Throw in dry fire practice and the striker sees alot of abuse.

Still, as has been said already in this thread, NONE Of these strikers (to my knowledge) are actual titanium.

Heavy Metal
07-03-12, 10:04
There is an easy way to determine if it is TiN coated steel or true titanium.

Break out a magnet.

Grease Monkey
07-03-12, 10:09
I know it's a non ferrous metal, it's not magnetic, atleast the one I had and it's lighter weight. Please don't think I'm endorsing the striker, just my experience.

warpigM-4
07-03-12, 10:43
I sold My Glock 30 Years ago I did Buy a 3.5 connector put in it but went back to stock Because it would go off if you sneezed hard :fie:
I could not see the benefit of a TI striker other than taking money out of your wallet