PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose between 16" or 18" barrel.

CC1025
06-27-12, 20:00
This will be be my first AR build. At first I thought I wanted to build a 14.5 rifle. I recently went to visit a new tactical store that just opened up by my house and told the dealer there that I wanted a 14.5 rifle. He suggested that I build a 16" instead cause it wouldnt be pinned and I would have more options. He also said that if I wanted an sbr that he would help me fill out the necessary paperwork to get one.

So now I have made up my mind to do so for an 11.5" sbr.

I have decided to get a second rifle that I will use for plinking , shooting at steel targets at various ranges with my friends, and especially varmint/predator hunting. I would also really like to use this rifle as an all-around AR and consider using a variable optic for distance/precision.

I know they make 20-24" varmint barrels but I feel these are just to long and heavy.

What would you suggest?

mkmckinley
06-27-12, 20:12
16" complete rifle ===> SBR the lower===> buy an SBR upper

Clint
06-27-12, 22:17
16" is a good all around length that is non-NFA.

RGoose
06-27-12, 22:42
16" is a good all around length that is non-NFA.

Agree, go with the 16". It's a great all purpose length. But before you purchase, do your homework on what brands offer real quality versus marketing or whatever the local gun counter jockey is peddling that week. Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske are all solid buys. Whatever you buy, go get training. It will put you and your gear to the test.

As for the SBR, I suggest purchasing a second lower receiver, testing it with the 16" upper, then SBR it yourself. Follow the instructionn in the NFA section of this site. 6-8 months later when your stamp shows up, slap a BCM 11.5 or 12.5 upper on it and get MORE training.

DIRTMAN556
06-27-12, 22:51
Re-consider the 14.5" pinned. I went that route, but only after fully committing to my limited options. Went with a FSB and the A2X birdcage flash suppressor. I don't care for compensators that will annoy my neighbors at the range and I figure if I do want a change, I'll just switch out the barrels.

TehLlama
06-27-12, 23:27
Having a 16" Upper and 11.5" upper are the most versatile pairing you can have, period. If you're not looking to spend a ton on the 16", the more affordable SS ones can work extremely well (WOA, Rainier come to mind), good CHF 16" Middy's (BCM BHF, Centurion LW, even the PSA sourced FNs), just put a decent, long FF handguard and you'll be happy with that.

You're getting decent advice from that local shop on barrel length, so go with that.

16" with good ammunition and a quality variable will handle any task you listed very well, just get a decent barrel for accuracy, good handguard, and minimize unnecessary junk and you'll have a handy carbine.

I too would build the lower for your first carbine, run that to make sure that lower, LPK, and the rest work well and are in spec, then SBR that lower. Buy the SBR lower, then decide if a second Title 1 lower for the 16" makes sense, or putting nicer parts (Geissele trigger, VLTOR A5, aftermarket stock) on the one lower makes more sense.

Pappabear
06-28-12, 03:09
Get the 16 inch gun. Best balance for range and accuracy and all around use.

Breadman
06-28-12, 05:05
You are getting some great advice in this thread. I have uppers in 10.3", 11.5", 14.5", 16", 18" and have had 20" as well. They all have their place, but if I needed to streamline, I could be very happy with just a 11.5 and 16.

Dragk913
06-28-12, 09:55
18" would be fun if you had the money to set it up as an SPR with some nice glass.

fallenromeo
06-28-12, 10:38
16" is the better all around barrel IMO

CC1025
06-28-12, 19:23
Thanks alot guys for your input. I do plan on taking some carbine classes.

The barrel I was looking for was a 16" noveske recon or lt. weight ss barrel. I hear the other barrel manufactures you guys suggested are very good and some are more affordable than others, I will look into them in more detail as well.

What barrel contour would you suggest?

Tzook
06-28-12, 23:44
No real reason to get anything heavier than a lightweight

TehLlama
06-29-12, 15:34
Thanks alot guys for your input. I do plan on taking some carbine classes.

The barrel I was looking for was a 16" noveske recon or lt. weight ss barrel. I hear the other barrel manufactures you guys suggested are very good and some are more affordable than others, I will look into them in more detail as well.

What barrel contour would you suggest?

If Noveske price is on the table, get one of their more moderate profiles and go with that. LW won't be the most precise, but the stainless recon is on the heavy side for a general use carbine.

As for 18" units, I have one, but since it's a heavy contour unit with a long long handguard, I threw some higher powered glass on it and made it a very enjoyable range precision rifle, but that's nowhere as flexible, and when I have my 16" Noveske Intermediate barreled upper I'll be able to toss that same optic on the shorter rifle and get the same level of precision.