PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in used M&P

tostado22
06-27-12, 22:30
Basically what the title says. What areas should I pay attention to in a used M&P without actually getting to fire it? I'm doing some shopping tomorrow and I'm open to NIB or used guns. I'm more of a 1911 guy and I am not that familiar with striker fired pistols so any help is appreciated. I am new to the area I live in now and don't trust all of the gun shops just yet so I want to know what I'm looking for when I walk in the door.

Thanks

Edit: looking for a full size M&P9 if it matters

gigag04
06-27-12, 23:35
Trigger pull and resets cleanly, polymer parts not chewed up, barrel threading clear, night sight brightness. They're really pretty resilient. Check the function of the trigger safety.

I wouldn't buy one with a manual safety. And make sure you add the Apex trigger kit.

NeoNeanderthal
06-28-12, 00:21
ive owned Three m&ps and my buddy owns 2. (they are all different models)

The trigger quality varied from gun to gun way more then i wouldve expected. Check for reset, some of the older ones have little to none and have a extremely gritty feel. Around when the guns started comming with the hook/ledge type rear sight, the quality of trigger improved.

Or just get an apex and call it good.

tostado22
06-28-12, 05:26
I'm hoping to find the ledge type sight so that's good to know if that's the time they improved the trigger. Although based on reviews here I will likely replace the trigger and sights anyway

C4IGrant
06-28-12, 08:21
What matter most is the Sear Housing Block. You will need to remove it from the gun and see if it has the old sear detent (small) or the new one (big). This CAN directly affect the reliability of the pistol.

The trigger pull, weight, etc matters not as they things can easily be fixed with a few Apex Tactical components.

C4

tostado22
06-28-12, 08:25
What matter most is the Sear Housing Block. You will need to remove it from the gun and see if it has the old sear detent (small) or the new one (big). This CAN directly affect the reliability of the pistol.

The trigger pull, weight, etc matters not as they things can easily be fixed with a few Apex Tactical components.

C4That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for since I'm not too familiar with these. Is there a serial number range to indicate what it might have?

C4IGrant
06-28-12, 08:34
That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for since I'm not too familiar with these. Is there a serial number range to indicate what it might have?

No, not really last summer, S&W made the change.

If you do get one with the small detent, its not the end of the world, Apex Tactical can drill them to the larger size or you can just buy a new SHB (which we and some other companies sell). They cost $30.

C4

Steve S.
06-28-12, 16:32
If you have access to the original box, there will be a 4 digit code next to the barcode (bottom right corner if memory serves me well).

Anyways, the first number is the year. The next 3 numbers are the day of the year. For example, a pistol made on January 1st, 2011 will be "1001" whereas a pistol made on December 31st, 2009 will be "9365".

Hope this makes sense.

What I tell people is to look for the "ledge" style rear sight and avoid the "sloped" style rear sight. It's the quickest / easiest way to get some of the most important upgrades.

A tactile reset really isn't that big of a deal, so I wouldn't sweat that too much.

tostado22
06-29-12, 18:06
Thanks for all the help and info guys. I found a couple of nice ones new and used but the guy working the counter was being a complete d****ebag so I won't be doing business there. There are still some shops I haven't been to yet so maybe I can find some more around town