PDA

View Full Version : Total Recall remake

Abraxas
06-28-12, 07:07
It has potential. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3FFWFTjcu8&feature=relmfu

caelumatra
06-28-12, 10:39
I want that to be awesome. I LOVE the original but Colin Farrell sucks!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=colin%20farrell%20sucks

It does look pretty cool though. Its not taking place on Mars, which when I first saw this trailer a few months ago I thought that was a disservice to the original. But seeing it again, I dont think it really matters. It could still be cool....if it had a different lead actor that is.

Hmm, didnt know this

Due to the success of the movie, a sequel was written with the script title Total Recall 2, and with Arnold Schwarzenegger’s character still Douglas Quaid, now working as a reformed law enforcer. The sequel was based on another Philip K. Dick short story, “The Minority Report,” which hypothesizes about a future where a crime can be solved before it’s committed—in the movie, the clairvoyants would be Martian mutants.[23] The sequel was not filmed, but the script survived and it was changed drastically and contained greater elements from the original short story. The story was eventually adapted as a science fiction thriller as Minority Report by Steven Spielberg and opened in 2002 to box-office success and critical acclaim.

And this was the original short story
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Can_Remember_It_for_You_Wholesale

Today was good, I learned something :)

Zhurdan
06-28-12, 11:00
Mmmmmmm.....Kate Beckinsale.

I'll go see it for that reason alone.

SkiDevil
06-28-12, 12:26

The only two reasons that film looks appealing to me at all are Kate and Jessica.:D

Otherwise, I agree Colon is a douche bag.

P.S. You guys see the trailer for 'El Gringo' Mel's upcoming film. It looks entertaining, reminds me of 'Payback.'

caelumatra
06-28-12, 12:53
I am a big fan of Mel's movies, but I really didn't like Payback

Moose-Knuckle
06-28-12, 16:09
This is one of the few movies this summer that I'm actually looking forward to seeing. The trailers so far are full of win and who can resist a cat fight between Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/love/433.gif

Pork Chop
06-28-12, 18:02

BACK OFF, she's mine!!!!! :p

I liked the original, so I'm interested, but I'd watch 2 hours of her doing just about anything.

RogerinTPA
06-28-12, 21:08

She's the ONLY reason I'd see the movie. I don't know why Hollywood continues to promote girly men as leading men.:no:

sadmin
06-28-12, 21:40
Because they know this is in the demographic of viewers...

If they ever remake Jeremiah Johnson I'll petition to be part of the casting crew

Belmont31R
06-28-12, 21:47
Most remakes suck. We all get excited about it but they always suck.

Hollywood is dead. No classics in the last 10 years I can remember.

RogerinTPA
06-28-12, 22:02
Agreed. It's like creativity got flushed down the shitter. The only remake IMHO that really out done the original, in every way, was Battlestar Galactica.

LHS
06-29-12, 00:15

The Grey. Taken. The Kingdom. Collateral.

Moose-Knuckle
06-29-12, 03:58

Sometimes the remakes are better: The Thing (both the '82 & '11 releases) , 3:10 To Yuma, Man On Fire.

These plus: Public Enemies, The American, The Departed, The Town.

Belmont31R
06-29-12, 21:04

The Grey was terrible. Taken was ok. Kingdom is good.

SWATcop556
06-29-12, 22:01
The Grey was terrible.

Amen. Started weak and never picked up and completely predictable.

Belmont31R
06-29-12, 22:13
Amen. Started weak and never picked up and completely predictable.

The only redeeming part of that movie was we saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse and I had a pitcher of beer during the thing.

Moose-Knuckle
08-06-12, 02:52
Saw it this weekend.

As a sci-fi geek I enjoyed it immensely. This was no remake but rather a dissimilar telling of Philip K. Dick’s short story ‘We Can Remember It for You Wholesale’ which the original film also took great liberties with. The visual styling was reminiscent of several other film adaptions of Philip K. Dick’s novel ‘Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep’ (Blade Runner) and his short story ‘The Minority Report’ (Minority Report). I enjoyed the concept of ‘the Fall’ it made me think of Arthur C. Clark’s elevators and the robot force was a nod to the works of Isaac Asimov.

The story, dialogue, action, technology, false flag terrorists attacks. . . .this film has many layers.

Zhurdan
08-06-12, 08:44
Asimov's robots? Wasn't he the one that defined the three rules? I thought it was interesting that they robots were soldiers.

The Fall was pretty interesting. The first drop, I kept thinking to myself "Oh yeah right, what happens when they hit the mid point?" only to be gratified by their answer.

Like the film, love Biel and Beckinsale.

Colin seems to have cleaned up his act as of late. A gal friend mentioned to my wife that he quit drinking as it was affecting his career negatively. He's decent, liked him in SWAT.

GTifosi
08-06-12, 10:34
Asimov's robots? Wasn't he the one that defined the three rules? I thought it was interesting that they robots were soldiers.

Not the first time that's come up in movies/entertainment:

The ABC robot from Judge Dredd
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4662922114302437&pid=1.5

ABC robot: Status?
Rico: Bodyguard.
ABC robot: Commander?
Rico: Rico.
ABC robot: Mission?
Rico: Mission?
[chuckles]
Rico: We're going to war.
ABC robot: Warrr...

trinydex
08-06-12, 17:17
Sometimes the remakes are better: The Thing (both the '82 & '11 releases) , 3:10 To Yuma, Man On Fire.

These plus: Public Enemies, The American, The Departed, The Town.

the departed is an american rendition on a chinese film series called infernal affairs.

Spiffums
08-06-12, 17:53

In Sharon Stone's role..........Yummy!!!

I haven't watched it yet but I got a big chessy double feature DVD because it had Fortress on it and it has Total Recall 2070. Might need to watch it and the original before I go to the movies.

Voodoochild
08-06-12, 18:17
"If they ever remake Jeremiah Johnson I'll petition to be part of the casting crew".

Great movie. My dad's favorite.

uwe1
08-06-12, 19:00
the departed is an american rendition on a chinese film series called infernal affairs.

The Chinese version was better.

Magic_Salad0892
08-06-12, 19:39
No classics in 10 years?

Hows about...

The Royal Tenenbaums
Kill Bill
Hostel
The Dark Knight series
Collateral

etc. There are others, but I'm tired.

But those films kinda re-defined their genres. Seriously: when was the last time you took a comic book movie seriously... Until Batman Begins.

Or Kill Bill being a great tribute to 1970's kung fu flicks, while also being one of the best love stories ever.

Or Hostel making new horror flicks awesome again.

Redmanfms
08-06-12, 20:13
No classics in 10 years?

Hows about...

The Royal Tenenbaums

Ugh. I know that taste in movies is subjective, but what was "classic" or genre defining about The Royal Tenenbaums? I know the trendy hip types all think Wes Anderson is ****ing brilliant, but honestly, I don't get it. He writes comedies that aren't at all funny, at best they have moments that are mildly amusing (what is most amusing is what Anderson ironically considers to be ironic, unintended double irony I guess). The only movie that I could sit through without having to stop and pick it up later was The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. I did genuinely enjoy that film enough to purchase it on DVD, but the rest of his movies are just exercises in tedious self-indulgent suck.

Magic_Salad0892
08-09-12, 12:57
Ugh. I know that taste in movies is subjective, but what was "classic" or genre defining about The Royal Tenenbaums? I know the trendy hip types all think Wes Anderson is ****ing brilliant, but honestly, I don't get it. He writes comedies that aren't at all funny, at best they have moments that are mildly amusing (what is most amusing is what Anderson ironically considers to be ironic, unintended double irony I guess). The only movie that I could sit through without having to stop and pick it up later was The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. I did genuinely enjoy that film enough to purchase it on DVD, but the rest of his movies are just exercises in tedious self-indulgent suck.

That's the only Wes Anderson film, I actually like.

The reason I call that movie genre defining is because it's the first ''subtle'' comedy that the US has put out in like 15 years that didn't suck. Combine that with it's interesting characters, one of my favorite anti-heroes (Royal Tenenbaum, whom I consider an anti-hero), and a good cast. (Even though I hate Danny Glover in real life.)

It's just a great film. But I get it. Different strokes, for different folks.

SteyrAUG
08-09-12, 15:36
She's the ONLY reason I'd see the movie. I don't know why Hollywood continues to promote girly men as leading men.:no:

+1

Also I don't think Total Recall was all that impressive that it needs a remake. If you want to remake a movie, do Predator and take out all the cheese.

SteyrAUG
08-09-12, 15:40
No classics in 10 years?

Hows about...

The Royal Tenenbaums
Kill Bill
Hostel
The Dark Knight series
Collateral

The Royal Tenenbaums SUCKED.
Kill Bill SUCKED.
Hostel was an average sex and gore film.
The first two Batmans were pretty good, but Spiderman restarted the whole ting.
Collateral was a good film, hardly a classic.

Wiggity
08-09-12, 15:53
The Royal Tenenbaums SUCKED.
Kill Bill SUCKED.
Hostel was an average sex and gore film.
The first two Batmans were pretty good, but Spiderman restarted the whole ting.
Collateral was a good film, hardly a classic.

This. Kill Bill and and TRT sucked complete asshole.

That said, I'm psyched they kept the three-boobed lady in Total Recall

Magic_Salad0892
08-09-12, 15:56
You guys are killin' me, here.

Moose-Knuckle
08-09-12, 16:06
+1

Also I don't think Total Recall was all that impressive that it needs a remake. If you want to remake a movie, do Predator and take out all the cheese.

Again, the 2012 Total Recall is not a remake. It stands on its own based upon Dick's short story.

Did you see Predators (2010)?

SWATcop556
08-09-12, 16:15
Caught it yesterday after training let out early. It was a good sci-fi action flick with a decent story and good effects. Nothing that wil blow you mind but not a bad movie either. And The Kate was looking amazing as always.

I'm pretty sure I would drink her bath water. Just saying.......

LHS
08-09-12, 16:30

I did. It sucked.

SteyrAUG
08-09-12, 16:39
Again, the 2012 Total Recall is not a remake. It stands on its own based upon Dick's short story.

They should have given it it's own title then. But that's good news.

Yeah, it sucked. I thought it was really, really bad. Interesting concept, even if stolen from The Cube, but the movie was pretty bad.

Moose-Knuckle
08-09-12, 17:05
Yeah, it sucked. I thought it was really, really bad. Interesting concept, even if stolen from The Cube, but the movie was pretty bad.

Gottcha, well I rather enjoyed it. Rodríguez said in an interview at the release that he DID NOT want to simply do a "remake". I thought the concept was great though it did borrow from previous sci-fi films. I cannot even begin to count how many books/films have the whole "game preserve" story line. Oh well to each their own. :cool:

Abraxas
04-11-13, 05:11
Really, Obama on the money? Sigh

OldGreg
04-11-13, 10:18

Hahaha, that's funny to me because I tuned into it on whatever cable channel this past weekend, saw that scene and thought the same thing. A channel change happened a few minutes later..

I love sci-fi.. and there are only two flicks that really impressed me in the past few years: District 9 and Moon (Sam Rockwell). And speaking of District 9, the director has another film coming out with Matt Damon called Elysium . The CGI looks incredible again!

Elysium Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNhdDDTY6Lk)

montanadave
04-11-13, 10:27
And speaking of District 9, the director has another film coming out with Matt Damon called Elysium . The CGI looks incredible again!

Jason Bourne goes Cyborg? I'm in!

Moose-Knuckle
04-11-13, 15:16

If we're still around by then I surmise people would be just that f**king stupid.

MountainRaven
04-11-13, 22:32
Hahaha, that's funny to me because I tuned into it on whatever cable channel this past weekend, saw that scene and thought the same thing. A channel change happened a few minutes later..

I love sci-fi.. and there are only two flicks that really impressed me in the past few years: District 9 and Moon (Sam Rockwell). And speaking of District 9, the director has another film coming out with Matt Damon called Elysium . The CGI looks incredible again!

I saw a Bugatti logo.

Also: Wasn't there some movie that had Hillary Clinton on the currency? Something with Eddie Murphy...? And then there was COD: BlOPs II with a CVN USS Barack Obama (and SecDef Patraeus, lawl). And Weapons of Choice, with a time-travelling CVN USS Hillary Clinton. All, I'm sure, to make us feel as though we stepped 40 minutes into the future, instead of just 20. (Isn't there already a USS George H. W. Bush? I didn't know we had already run out of dead presidents to name CVNs after.)

Spiffums
04-12-13, 07:27
I just wanted to be on the record as stating I think we all would agree the chick with 3 boobs is much better done this time than the blue glued on strips of paper.