PDA

View Full Version : Colt or BCM extractor spring?

sinlessorrow
06-28-12, 12:22
So i have searched but couldn find any direct comparison between the two.

I also read RSilvers posts about springs, so my quesion is which is the better spring?

I have yet to find a direct comparison between the two.

samuse
06-28-12, 21:21
I don't know which one is definitely better, but...

I've used Colt, BCM and Daniel Defense springs and change 'em every 5K and have never had a failure out of any of 'em.

I'm pretty sure my replacement springs are BCM. It's whatever I buy from Grant.

I'd buy whatever G&R Tactical sells (because they work) and keep shootin'.

Kodiak
06-28-12, 22:36
I went with the Springco the enhanced extractor spring kit.

Blankwaffe
06-28-12, 23:31
IMHO the Colt extractor spring assembly is the most balanced approach,and is the spec'd spring for use.

The BCM extractor spring is fine don't get me wrong,Ive used them.Im not trying to degrade the product and Im sure it has its place/need in the market.

But Ive personally have never seen a "need" for XP extractor springs in my AR's,can say the same about CRANE o-rings in my experience,so that is where I base opinion.

Plus Ive seen a few cases where tolerances in the bolt extractor channel and extractor that caused excessive extractor tension with the BCM extractor springs.I have not seen this with the use of Colt extractor spring assemblies.

Colt extractor spring assemblies also do not require a break in period,nor do they require pliers etc. to assemble the extractor on the bolt initially or otherwise.

If you do in fact "need" more extractor tension due to specific build spec/configuration etc.,then certainly use the BCM extractor spring or one of the other XP springs that is available.
So I only use,and would highly recommend the current Colt extractor spring assembly.But that is my opinion.YMMV

PA PATRIOT
06-29-12, 04:14
I changed over from the Colt stock extractor springs to Wolff E/P extractor springs for use with steel cased ammunition. I did notice that at high round count classes when the chamber started to crud up the extra tension eliminated the extractor from pulling over the rim.

BufordTJustice
06-29-12, 05:07
I have used the BCM extractor springs and I recommend them to my buddies. However, I use Springco extractor springs in all my personal AR15's.

aguila327
06-29-12, 23:45
Does anybody else here think its going a little overboard when you worry about the brand of extractor spring you should use.

've used everything from colt to lft overs in a bx my armorer buddy found in his garage. They all worked.

IMO: Go to brownells or anyother source and find whichever one you want and buy it. Whatever brand it will work.(Hopefully ;-)

sinlessorrow
06-29-12, 23:52
Does anybody else here think its going a little overboard when you worry about the brand of extractor spring you should use.

've used everything from colt to lft overs in a bx my armorer buddy found in his garage. They all worked.

IMO: Go to brownells or anyother source and find whichever one you want and buy it. Whatever brand it will work.(Hopefully ;-)

I dont think so, its one of the most important parts of the AR-15 IMO.

with all the different manuf., all the different materials, and spring designs its good to know which are the best.

Blankwaffe
06-30-12, 01:51

The variety of extractor springs available are not the same.As pointed out already,there is different wire used-including wire diameter,coil count,installed and compressed height,and resulting tension supplied,not to mention manufacturing and finish quality.

The Colt extractor spring is what is spec'd and tested,being so would be considered the standard for a reason.The whole argument of "known quality" comes in play here just as any other component.

Im not a gambler,so Im not confident in relying that "hopefully" brand X will work in my guns.Using old,discarded and unknown springs ain't something I'd do or recommend.Too many variables in play and they usually show up at inopportune times.
Extractor springs are just too cheap to play around with IMHO.

BufordTJustice
06-30-12, 06:38

It's not going overboard.

Considering that Colt took FOREVER to get their asses in gear and start offering the 'copper washed' extractor spring...and that extraction issues were RAMPANT in carbine-length gas AR's prior to that, I think being 'picky' is actually just being discerning. BCM and Springco have been making quality enhanced extractor springs for over half a decade, filling the gap until only a few years ago when Colt decided to get off their collective ass and fix a known issue.

Seeing as the extractor spring is critical (guns run on springs, afterall) and if it goes down, the gun won't run, I don't think one can be picky enough.

aguila327
06-30-12, 07:01
I stand corrected:o

I love this site.

BufordTJustice
06-30-12, 16:51
I stand corrected:o

I love this site.

No biggie brother.

FTR, I think the Colt copper-ashed spring is GTG...but so are the others that were mentioned.

DirectDrive
06-30-12, 20:18
The BCM spring I have is more uniform looking than the one in the link.
I believe it's a 5 wrap and it's very stout. I don't use the donut.
The Colt looks to be a 4 wrap.
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?373-Extractor-Spring-Upgrade

That Wolff spring wins the beauty pageant...looks like a good spring.

everyusernametaken
06-30-12, 21:21
Given equivalent wire, fewer coils produces a higher spring rate and more travel before coil bind. It's unlikely the various springs use identical wire, but more coils doesn't mean a stiffer or better spring.

DirectDrive
06-30-12, 21:29
Given equivalent wire, fewer coils produces a higher spring rate and more travel before coil bind. It's unlikely the various springs use identical wire, but more coils doesn't mean a stiffer or better spring.
More travel, yes.
Higher spring rate, no.

Lots of BCM extractor springs in service.
Don't think coil binding is a problem with their design.

everyusernametaken
06-30-12, 21:32
More travel, yes.
Higher spring rate, no.

Lots of BCM extractor springs in service.
Don't think coil binding is a problem with their design.

Fewer coils does make for higher spring rate.

DirectDrive
06-30-12, 21:52
That's actually impossible.
You addressed wire gauge, but there's also spring height, wire alloy and temper that are all part of the spring rate equation.

The extractor spring is a simple application, use what works best for you.

everyusernametaken
06-30-12, 22:09
That's actually impossible.
You addressed wire gauge, but there's also spring height, wire alloy and temper that are all part of the spring rate equation.

The extractor spring is a simple application, use what works best for you.

What? It's not impossible, it's simple physics. I addressed the characteristics relevant to my point, which is that you can't make a useful assessment of the springs based on just coil count and pictures. You need experience to make any meaningful comparison.

robm
07-01-12, 02:13

if you take a spring and cut a coil off it will be a higher rate

Kodiak
07-01-12, 07:46
if you take a spring and cut a coil off it will be a higher rate

But that is not the same as designing x spring as a 4 coil and y spring as a 5 coil. You could make both with the same spring rate.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

DBR
07-01-12, 10:58
There are two different BCM extractor springs. The original ones are five coils and the more recent ones are four coils. Somewhere there are posts explaining the change.

The five coil springs restrict extractor travel in some bolts. I have both of them here. After trying many after market springs I have settled on the Colt "gold" spring for all of my rifles. The differences among springs are very subtle but real.

I tried O rings when they were popular but IMO they restrict extractor travel to much and place to much stress on the pivot pin.

robm
07-02-12, 10:59
But that is not the same as designing x spring as a 4 coil and y spring as a 5 coil. You could make both with the same spring rate.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I agree 100%

WS6
01-09-13, 13:43
I run a 4-coil rifle spring and an O-ring. It's how John Noveske thought his carbines run best. If I ever have an extraction failure, I'll make note of it.

3 AE
01-09-13, 14:08
So i have searched but couldn find any direct comparison between the two.

I also read RSilvers posts about springs, so my quesion is which is the better spring?

I have yet to find a direct comparison between the two.

I've test fired five hundred rounds through each of my spare bolts, a Colt, a BCM, and a Noveske. Each one has a different extractor spring set up. All three worked without any issues. The Colt and BCM extractor spring kits cost the same. I would just get whatever one is in stock. Or get several of both and use them when necessary. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either one.