PDA

View Full Version : How to unpin a pinned flash hider?

dtibbals
06-28-12, 14:49
I have a 14.5" Novekse that has an AAC 51T pinned in place. I am thinking of switching it over to an AAC Breakout. Is it possible to undo a pinned devise and reinstall a new one or is this a barrel change?

Thanks,
David

docsherm
06-28-12, 14:58
You can cut off the Flash hider (it will be completely destroyed) and put a new one on. A barrel change is easier.

badness
06-28-12, 15:03
http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_.cfm?code=25

$40 to remove
$85 to attach

Done.

Breadman
06-28-12, 15:06
This is not the answer to your question, but I would HIGHLY recommend you firing a rifle with a brakeout on it before you make that switch. I have a couple and I find them to be the most concussive muzzle devices I have ever experienced. I can't really explain it, but I don't think the plain 2 chamber aac brake is as bad.

dtibbals
06-28-12, 15:35
This is not the answer to your question, but I would HIGHLY recommend you firing a rifle with a brakeout on it before you make that switch. I have a couple and I find them to be the most concussive muzzle devices I have ever experienced. I can't really explain it, but I don't think the plain 2 chamber aac brake is as bad.

I am switching over my 10.5" that is always suppressed, AAC says it will add thousands of life to my M4-2000 in an email from them today. I also run one of my 14.5" guns suppressed 50% of the time, so thought it might be a good idea to switch over it as well. Might not bother but was wondering what it would take.

From AAC:
Hey David,

Thanks for the email and support. The Brakeout will aid in extending the life of your silencer by a few thousand rounds. The chamber of the Brakeout will take a good bit of the muzzle blast and it is a lot cheaper to replace one of those versus a complete silencer.

Sincerely,
| Customer Service Representative
Advanced Armament Corp.

bobsolla
06-28-12, 17:11
never done one,but if silver soldering;i imagine undoing the solder,then finding a way to extract then hardened tool steel pin.welded,i imagine grinding down the weld until pin is exposed,then extracting steel pin.either way will cause some marring or damage to the brake or muzzle device,but you`re changing it anyhow,and i don`t feel it would be a huge deal.installing the new muzzle device would require once installed properly;to drill through the muzzle device slightly into barrel and add a tool steel pin,then silver solder or weld,then touch up with some bluing fluid.

jonconsiglio
06-28-12, 18:47
Drill it out. Any slight damage to the threads or even a hole, according to one of the main shops for this service, will not negatively affect the barrel when a new muzzle device is installed, pinned and welded.

I've not done this personally, just relating what I've seen mentioned before by those that do the work, so please verify.

Javelinadave
06-29-12, 00:08
If it's a crap barrel give it a try with a Dremel cutting wheel and go real slow or chuck up a milling bit in a drill press and slowly mill away the pin and flash hider. Either way the flash hider is trash. If you mess it up a barrel is easy enough to swap out. If it is a nice barrel I would send it to Adco or let a VERY competent smith in your area remove it.

sdacbob
06-29-12, 02:00
http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_.cfm?code=25

$40 to remove
$85 to attach

Done.

I had Adco do one of mine a couple years ago. I had an old Bushmaster upper with a mini triY comp pinned to the 14.5'' barrel. Adco cut it off, re-threaded and installed a BCM A2X on it. Turnaround time was like a week.

dtibbals
06-29-12, 09:33
If it's a crap barrel give it a try with a Dremel cutting wheel and go real slow or chuck up a milling bit in a drill press and slowly mill away the pin and flash hider. Either way the flash hider is trash. If you mess it up a barrel is easy enough to swap out. If it is a nice barrel I would send it to Adco or let a VERY competent smith in your area remove it.

It is a Novekse barrel with maybe 800 rounds through it so far from a crap barrel lol

AR15barrels
06-29-12, 12:17
As a reference, here is what some muzzle devices will look like after being removed:

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/permanent-removal.jpg

So if you make a similar cut where your pin is at, you can un-thread the muzzle device you have on there now and then clean out the rest of the pin in the barrel before installing a new muzzle device and pinning it back into place.