PDA

View Full Version : Reloading tracer

fnfnc64
01-19-08, 19:06
I just got 500 pulled 53gr red tip .22 cal tracer bullets at the last gun show. Is there anything I need to know about reloading this stuff? I have heard extruded powder works best. Some guys claim tracer wears barrels out too. I stuffed about ten of em with varget and fired em through an M4 and a sig 556 this morning, both sixteen inch barrel guns. Couldnt see em till they hit the dirt embankment, then you could see the glow for a second. It was an overcast day, but probably not cloudy enough to see anything more. Any help here would be appreciated!:cool:

mikeyonthemadone
01-20-08, 01:19
Shoot them at a target at least 75-100 yards out. They don't light up closer than that for me with Wc844.

Mikey

markm
01-21-08, 07:54
Yeah. Shoot them at a 300 yard target actually... if you want any tracing enjoyment.

They're only hard on the barrel in that they're a steel jacket. Most people say it won't hurt anything, and the steel is very mild. I still don't like shooting steel jacketed stuff in my guns if I don't have to.

mikeyonthemadone
01-21-08, 14:43
FYI

Check on your own tracers, they are not all steel jacketed. The Hi Tech pulled 54 grain ones are not.

markm
01-21-08, 15:50
FYI

Check on your own tracers, they are not all steel jacketed. The Hi Tech pulled 54 grain ones are not.

Interesting. I know that military M856 tracers are magnet horney as can be. I don't think I have any military red tip to check.