PDA

View Full Version : Ball Cap

Spiffums
06-28-12, 16:17
I'm hunting a tan ball cap like the black BCM ball cap. BCM has been out of stock on caps every time I checked. Does anyone know of another vendor who uses the same style/design as the Bravo caps? They really fit my head great.

Kokopelli
06-28-12, 16:30
I'm hunting a tan ball cap like the black BCM ball cap. BCM has been out of stock on caps every time I checked. Does anyone know of another vendor who uses the same style/design as the Bravo caps? They really fit my head great.

Springfield Armory has a nice tan oil cloth cap.. Too hot for summer, but really nice.. Ron

Spiffums
06-28-12, 17:13
Thanks I'll check it out.

When you find a good fitting hat I guess it's a good idea to get a few at that time.

Submariner
06-28-12, 17:36
Check your PMs.

I ave several.

Steve S.
06-29-12, 00:48
Check your PMs.

I ave several.

Wanna give me one?

;-)

acaixguard
06-29-12, 09:59
What about the Daniel Defense cap? It also doesn't have that button on top, so it's great for using muffs.
I always hated wearing all of my other caps while shooting because that top button would get in the way of the muffs.

bdcheung
06-29-12, 10:18
Are you looking for something branded? What about a plain tan cap without the annoying button on top? Images below are linked to purchase pages.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2213_82857822.jpg (http://www.lapolicegear.com/milspec-cg-raw-hat.html)

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2218_39433889.jpg (http://www.lapolicegear.com/tactical-cap-hat.html)

jhs1969
06-29-12, 11:20
Here is one of my favs

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-cap

Spiffums
06-30-12, 09:23
The BCM hat just fits my head really really really well. I was trying to find something in the same style. I say style because that's what the guy who does the custom hats at the flea market says the proper term is.

Endur
06-30-12, 09:46
I like these kind of caps but standard caps bills are just to long and they dont look right on me. Anyone know where to get a patrol cap in other colors than acu? Propper and tru spec make some but they are not the same as the acu ones. I want a pc like the ones I had in the army just not acu, like od or tan, they just fit better and look right on me.

Submariner
06-30-12, 20:21
The BCM hat just fits my head really really really well. I was trying to find something in the same style. I say style because that's what the guy who does the custom hats at the flea market says the proper term is.

Two Styles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/DasBoot56/101_2382.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/DasBoot56/101_2383.jpg

Steve S.
06-30-12, 20:32
Honestly, if you don't need to run a patch (which in the history of man, I don't think anyone HAD to run a patch) - take a serious look at the Under Armour Heat Gear hats. Of any hat I've ever worn, it's the most comfortable.

ETA: Pic. I also have a large dome. My brain just rattles around in my big ass head.

http://img.tapatalk.com/63795c32-b0f0-6b6d.jpg

^^Old faithful, in all it's sweaty, dirty, nastiness.

Failure2Stop
06-30-12, 20:47
Crye Precision caps fit my head better than anything else I have tried.
My melon is on the small side, so YMMV.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

munch520
06-30-12, 20:49
I have a Knights tan cap I really like.

I am the antithesis of F2S...larger dome.

ffhounddog
06-30-12, 21:32
I use as many of my free hats as I can but my favorite is the one got from one of my old units.

kmrtnsn
06-30-12, 22:45
Need a new ballcap? Attend a class or buy same LaRue goodness. I have more range caps laying around the house than I could possibly ever wear, which is why it so ironic that I can never find one when I am heading out the door. Between HH8 stealing them and giving them away there never seems to be one around when I want one.

If you like the BCM caps, you'll like the caps from,

Aimpoint
LaRue
Rainier Arms
Troy

Straight Shooter
07-01-12, 05:20
Where are the LaRue and Bravo Co. caps made? I loathe foriegn made caps.
Also interested where the other caps listed are manufacted too.

Spiffums
07-01-12, 08:23
I'm getting some from Sub. I'm going to check out the other vendors.

dwheelock
07-01-12, 09:49
Inside my BCM hat it says Reggie Matthews, has a phone number, and this email address reggiem@bellsouth.net. I'm going to assume that is where the hat came from, but i'm not positive.

FYI I have the OD Green BCM hat with the Flag on the front and BCM on the rear.

snakedoctor
07-01-12, 10:22
Arcteryx Baller Ass Cap- Comes in Tan and Black. Looks good with or without a patch too

2ac
07-02-12, 11:03
Crye Precision caps fit my head better than anything else I have tried.
My melon is on the small side, so YMMV.

I agree, it's the best hat I've worn, and I too have a smaller head. I have been meaning to order another but the one I have just won't wear out. It must be going on 6 years old now, and I wear it all the time.

CodeRed30
07-03-12, 21:13
I've got a tan Condor one that has mesh on the back half. Like this but all tan- http://compare.ebay.com/like/290694683486?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Endur
07-07-12, 20:53
So I bit the bullet and bought a smoke green cap from skd. Hopefully it fits better than previous caps and looks right on my head.

keller
07-09-12, 23:32
Arcteryx Baller Ass Cap- Comes in Tan and Black. Looks good with or without a patch too

This.

Endur
07-11-12, 16:48
Received my cap today from skd, really nice cap and this is coming from a guy who doesn't like hats much. I recommend the skd cap.

Dirk Williams
07-15-12, 11:01
I'm amused, perhaps I'm missing the point, why would you want an every day hat that says to the world "I'm a gun slinger" .

Not trying to be a dick but I drive around town and see these young bucks trying real had to look bad to the bone.

There was a time not to long ago when the real pros spent a great deal of time trying to look anything but hard. I guess those days are gone.

Not knocking a good ball cap, just asking why a cap needs to say to everybody out there paying attention that your tactical not practical.

DW

Endur
07-15-12, 11:19
I'm amused, perhaps I'm missing the point, why would you want an every day hat that says to the world "I'm a gun slinger" .

Not trying to be a dick but I drive around town and see these young bucks trying real had to look bad to the bone.

There was a time not to long ago when the real pros spent a great deal of time trying to look anything but hard. I guess those days are gone.

Not knocking a good ball cap, just asking why a cap needs to say to everybody out there paying attention that your tactical not practical.

DW

Who says they are for everyday wear? If people do then why does that make them "trying to act hard"?

Sounds like teenage bull to me.

Who cares what someone wears and when they wear it as long it is in good taste per say.

gun71530
07-15-12, 14:21
They only look uber tactical when you stick a bunch of patches all over it. The average person on the street isn't going to think to themselves "oh look at the tactical hat." They will more than likely be staring at their smart phone oblivious to their surroundings.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Spiffums
07-15-12, 20:28
I just wanted a cap that fit like my black BCM. I figured someone had both the black hat and some other vendor's hat that had a similar fit.

And what someone wants to wear every day is no one's business but their own.

gun71530
07-15-12, 22:21
And what someone wants to wear every day is no one's business but their own.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100%

Michael2007
07-15-12, 22:28
On a more pleasant note I wear a 7 3/4 boonie hat and does anyone know a hat that will for my huge head without looking like its just perched atop or squeezing the blood flow off?

Endur
07-15-12, 22:31
On a more pleasant note I wear a 7 3/4 boonie hat and does anyone know a hat that will for my huge head without looking like its just perched atop or squeezing the blood flow off?

The skd caps are fully adjustable. I am a 7 1/4 and the one I have has plently of more adjustment for larger sizes.

Michael2007
07-15-12, 23:07
What about depth for lack of a better term. Like I have an Oakley hat that fits my head width wise but looks like a Mickey mouse hat cause it's not deep enough. I have a huge head.

dirt_diver
07-15-12, 23:08

+1, except the fit is ridiculously small, like yarmulke with a brim small. I have an above average sized melon, but come one man...
The weird part is I have a bunch of other flex-fit hats in l-xl and they fit perfectly. :confused:

Endur
07-16-12, 05:35
What about depth for lack of a better term. Like I have an Oakley hat that fits my head width wise but looks like a Mickey mouse hat cause it's not deep enough. I have a huge head.

That I don't know.

PPGMD
07-16-12, 07:51

Unless the hat says something related to guns (and not just a company name, unless it is a familiar one to the public like a major gun company Colt for example) or the patches that say something similar. Most people wouldn't know the difference between a tactical hat and a normal hat.

I've worn my BCM hats, and my "operator" hats for a number of years. Outside the range exactly one person recognized the BCM hat. And the only person to comment about my "operator" cap is that he thought the Velcro to change out the flag was cool.

Now if you are talking about traveling through an international airport and you want to maintain a low profile. Yes I can understand wanting to avoid tactical stuff, or hell anything that looks American. Americans can be a target in some countries. But inside America people give others too much credit.

Yes we as shooters can recognize tactical pants and other apparel, hell sometimes can even tell you the brand from a quick glance. But to most tactical pants look like any other cargo pants, and tactical hats look like most other baseball caps at most they might note that it has Velcro on it (if it as one of the "operator" caps), which is unusual. But unless they are versed in gun or military culture they won't be able to connect the two.

Spiffums
07-16-12, 17:50
I wonder how many people wear the same cap all the time? Dad has a work cap and a "dress" cap.

I have my BCMs and a one from both of the colleges I went to. I have also have a Voodoo Ride cap I wear (it's a car detail thing with Dale Jr).

PPGMD
07-16-12, 18:58
I do, I have several hats.

I have a range hat, which is my old "operator" cap that has seen better days (not long until it falls apart). It will probably be replaced with a BCM hat, or an Aimpoint hat, both don't have buttons on top.

I have a gym hat, which typically is any hat that I am not too attached to, but fits well. Typically these are hats that have buttons on the top.

And then I have an everyday hat, what it says varies it just needs to fit well. If I am not attached to it, once it is beat up it gets downgraded to a gym hat, or a range hat depending on the button on top. If I am attached it gets saved.

Of course I have hats I just don't wear, but want to keep.

patriot_man
07-17-12, 03:08
+1, except the fit is ridiculously small, like yarmulke with a brim small. I have an above average sized melon, but come one man...
The weird part is I have a bunch of other flex-fit hats in l-xl and they fit perfectly. :confused:

Dude... I have to agree with you. The large BAC is small as hell!

mjkeat
07-22-12, 12:14
My BCM hats get passed down to my 4 y/o son as do the Larue caps. To small for my big head. Otherwise they'd be my head gear of choice.

highlighter
07-22-12, 12:24
Just got a OPMOD cap free from opticsplanet that is just the right size for my 2y/o son!

Why doesn't anyone make "man size" caps? AND lots of them!

drrufo
07-22-12, 12:38
Quote:Why doesn't anyone make "man size" caps? AND lots of them!

Try e4hats. They have very large size caps and different types.

ruchik
07-22-12, 23:00
I highly recommend this (http://www.qvigear.com/catalog/item/6630892/6498000.htm) type of hat. It's got a wide brim to shield your eyes, but most significantly, it's high cut all around the sides and back. Lets you wear sunglasses or eyeglasses with ease and obstruction free under the hat.

JW5219
07-23-12, 11:45
The average person on the street isn't going to think to themselves "oh look at the tactical hat." They will more than likely be staring at their smart phone oblivious to their surroundings. 2

+1 This. well said !