PDA

View Full Version : Which rifle to put rail on?

myv6
06-28-12, 23:56
I really didn't want to ask, because I'm sure it's been covered, but i didn't come up with much in the search.

I have 2 rifles, a Carbine and Mid length 14.5". Noveske light basic to be exact. I got a Troy Alpha rail 13" for one of them and was just wondering if one is better than the other to mount the rail on? Both have FSB's and I'd like to only have to shave one down.

My thoughts: Currently I have a Magpul MOE on the carbine and im not a fan of the heat that comes out the bottom of it. Also, it's short so I can't get my hand out where I would like. Im leaning towards putting the rail on the carbine, but the one with the Troy rail will be my main HD rifle. So, would it be better for reliability and heavy use to use the midlength for this, or should the carbine be fine?

Servo
06-29-12, 01:00
You have a quality built rifle from a trusted company; a carbine length gas system is reliable as long as it is properly maintained, just like any other AR.

You mention that the carbine length, for you, is the more uncomfortable of the two, so IMO it would make more sense to use the rail where you would gain the most.

badness
06-29-12, 01:51
the mid length.

Then get an FSB type rifle length rail for the carbine.

myv6
06-30-12, 00:45
That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to get some advice from some people who know more that I do. The woman wants a quad rail so I may put a KAC rail on the carbine for her and the Troy on my mid length. Just kinda worried about shaving the FSB a little.

BCmJUnKie
06-30-12, 01:54
How about go shoot your guns and get sufficient range time with it....then make a decision instead of asking a question you're going to get PREFERENCE replies with.

What rifle do you shoot more?

What style do you have?

What distance you shoot?

What is the gun FOR?

There is no right or wrong way to put your rifle together unless youre using sub par components.

Should you wipe your ass with a. Paper bag or normal toilet paper?

A paper bag you're gonna get more use from....toilet paper is more comfortable .

It's preference buddy

A FSB is only 20 bucks

spamsammich
06-30-12, 03:15
That alpha rail will likely heat up pretty hot on sustained strings of fire. I shot about 3 x 30 round pmags worth of Centurion at around one shot per second and at the end my VTAC rail was getting hot enough to need to switch to gloves. A similar rifle with a AFG let me get away with about another mag before needing gloves because of the heat from the top of the rail. Just FYI

I should add that the carbine would probably benefit the most from the extra leverage you're able to get with the longer rail.